Navy NAVY OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will start my credentialing tour this October and was wondering how do I go about applying for OMFS? Do I need to complete my 4 years of payback first before applying for OMFS or can I apply every year during my payback? Also if not accepted, is it possible to do an OS extern/internship in the navy while instead of going into operational tour doing general dentistry?

Basically what is the best way to get into Navy OS if you didn’t get into one straight from dental school?

@vellnueve if you can chime in

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I will start my credentialing tour this October and was wondering how do I go about applying for OMFS? Do I need to complete my 4 years of payback first before applying for OMFS or can I apply every year during my payback? Also if not accepted, is it possible to do an OS extern/internship in the navy while instead of going into operational tour doing general dentistry?

Basically what is the best way to get into Navy OS if you didn’t get into one straight from dental school?

@vellnueve if you can chime in

Thanks

You can apply every year usually from feb-april. Whether you’re considered seriously depends on how long you have on your current orders and the needs of the Navy. They often will not pull you from a tour early for residency. There are no official internships but you can get orders to extern at the programs for a week or two.

Reactions: 1 users
You can apply every year usually from feb-april. Whether you’re considered seriously depends on how long you have on your current orders and the needs of the Navy. They often will not pull you from a tour early for residency. There are no official internships but you can get orders to extern at the programs for a week or two.

Is CBSE a must? do you know anyone that got in without it?
Also what are the locations aside from NMC Portsmouth?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is an OMFS residency time neutral or do you accrue ADO while in training?

Is an OMFS residency time neutral or do you accrue ADO while in training?
FTIS (Military residency) would incur ADO that can be fulfilled concurrently to pre-existing dental school ADO. In other words, the residency is effectively neutral, assuming you match directly out of dental school.

FTOS (civilian residency) would incur ADO to be served consecutively to pre-existing ADO - much longer.

Reactions: 1 users
FTIS (Military residency) would incur ADO that can be fulfilled concurrently to pre-existing dental school ADO. In other words, the residency is effectively neutral, assuming you match directly out of dental school.

FTOS (civilian residency) would incur ADO to be served consecutively to pre-existing ADO - much longer.
Thank you!