Navy Operational Medicine with Motion Sickness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziboi14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I joined the Navy wanting to do Flight Surgery. However, the last couple of years my motion sickness when flying has really worsened and if I don't take dramamine before hand I am wrecked with headaches/nausea/vomiting for days after. Even when I take it's not like I'm great and it does make me quite groggy.

At this point, I'm thinking UMO would be the move for me but wanted to get a gauge the amount of flying time during FS training and if it seems unreasonable to plan on doing FS and request a helicopter billet afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

I joined the Navy wanting to do Flight Surgery. However, the last couple of years my motion sickness when flying has really worsened and if I don't take dramamine before hand I am wrecked with headaches/nausea/vomiting for days after. Even when I take it's not like I'm great and it does make me quite groggy.

At this point, I'm thinking UMO would be the move for me but wanted to get a gauge the amount of flying time during FS training and if it seems unreasonable to plan on doing FS and request a helicopter billet afterwards.
If it's as bad as you say, I would probably not go the FS route. You could consider trying to push through, but it would be tough. You would need a waiver, but they may prescribe you meds to get you through training. Depending on your seat in the helicopter, you can still get motion sick.

There is also desensitization training, which can be done at NAMI. But no guarantee it'll work. And the effects are generally temporary. You could try your own desensitization and essentially expose yourself to as much disorienting motions as possible. Right now, I think fixed wing training is 4 flights over 2 days (flight somewhere, land, and fly back). If you need to, the instructor pilot won't mind if you do nothing. But also, taking control of the aircraft can sometimes help with motion sickness.

Helos are 6 flights, I think.

You could also consider doing a drone squadron, or working at NAMI without being assigned a specific squadron. Also consider the aeromedical examiner route, where you go through NAMI, but without the flight training portion. Would not be a flight surgeon, would not be with a specific squadron, most likely a clinic billet.

Reactions: 1 user
You can fly as much or as little as you want as a flight surgeon. Only thing it really affects is your flight pay if you don’t get the hours (4 per month). Flight pay is an additional $200/month, so if you miss out on your hours, it’s not that big of a deal. If you get too sick, as long as you make it through flight school, nobody will care how much you fly

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say give FS a shot. I am like you, I get nauseous easily when flying. If it’s big aircraft or helos no problem but fast jets 🤢. I learned to puke into an airsickness bag under all attitudes and g’s. Never spilling a drop 😂. I found that once I did get sick, it was much better and my vestibulo-vomit reflex really settled down. I tried different medications but found they really only made me tired and non functional, which scared me quite honestly. It also gets better the more you fly.

Reactions: 1 users