Navy or USAF, HPSP vs FAP, and Commitment vs. No Commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarthBroosevelt

Look, Press, n' Roll!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been lurking around on this forum for a while now and I've decided that it's finally time to post and get some of my questions answered. I'd love to go to a recruiter to get some information but I can't help but think that they might not be... entirely truthful :p

1). USAF or Navy? I've read Luke Ballard's extremely helpful site on USAF HPSP (http://lukeballard.tripod.com/HPSP.html) but I'm hoping to get some updated information. What are the pros of the USAF over the Navy? The Navy over the USAF? I've heard that the Navy requires a GMO tour but there is no such requirement for Flight Surgeons in the USAF.

2). HPSP vs. FAP. What's the deal here? What is the difference between HPSP and FAP in terms of the amount of coverage for medschool, and the commitment required for each?

3). Commitment vs. Non Commitment.
The reason I wish to join the military is that I feel a sense of duty to my country and those defending it. Is there any reason that I shouldn't consider taking on school loans on my own terms and then offering my serivces to the military afterwards? I find this to be pleasing as there would be no required commitment to pay off HPSP. Would being on a mil-med salary make it hard to pay off a civilian medschool loan?

Thanks again for your responses and your time. Like many pre-meds on this site, I feel that I owe a duty to this country and would like to do my part, but all of the negativity towards entering mil-med rather than staying civilian makes one think twice.

Cheers,
DB

Members don't see this ad.

1). I've heard that the Navy requires a GMO tour but there is no such requirement for Flight Surgeons in the USAF.

A Navy GMO tour and a USAF flight surgeon tour are essentially the same thing

2). HPSP vs. FAP. What's the deal here? What is the difference between HPSP and FAP in terms of the amount of coverage for medschool, and the commitment required for each?

The sticky named "HPSP, USUHS, FAP Threads" will give you your HPSP vs. FAP info
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=277317

3). Commitment vs. Non Commitment.
The reason I wish to join the military is that I feel a sense of duty to my country and those defending it. Is there any reason that I shouldn't consider taking on school loans on my own terms and then offering my serivces to the military afterwards? I find this to be pleasing as there would be no required commitment to pay off HPSP. Would being on a mil-med salary make it hard to pay off a civilian medschool loan?

Going through on your own terms is the benefit of FAP. You make it through med school and onto the residency of your choice and then deal with the military commitment. Any military service will incur a commitment though. Minimum active duty service obligation is 8 years no matter what so keep that in mind. You could also serve the armed forces as a civilian contractor or direct commission once you're an Attending. that's just food for thought...don't jump in without knowing all the details

Not that I have any experience with any of this, but for me the big "plus" of going with the HPSP option is the monthly stipend during school. I personally am not all that worked up about accruing any debt from medical school and so forth, but the idea of going from a working guy with a positive income to not having crap to spend is not appealing to me - to the point of being sickening actually.

Reactions: 1 user