Navy Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snman31

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most people do GMO tours before getting Navy radiology residencies, but has anyone known or heard of anyone who got a civilian deferrment for radiology straight out of medical school? If so, what was it about thier case that was different?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know of one dude who got a deferment (HPSP'er out of Kansas) for rads. Don't know exactly why he got it, but I've heard of other folks getting the same. Demand is high, supply is low therefore the Navy will be more likely to give full deferments in the near future.

helo doc said:
I personally know of one dude who got a deferment (HPSP'er out of Kansas) for rads. Don't know exactly why he got it, but I've heard of other folks getting the same. Demand is high, supply is low therefore the Navy will be more likely to give full deferments in the near future.

Thanks for the info; how long ago was that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every year the number of applicants deferred changes. This year there are 10 available slots for at least 12 applicants. This does not mean they have to give any of those out if the applicants aren't qualified or that they couldn't pull two extra from areas that aren't filled if the foresee the NAVY needing 12 radiologists in 4 years and the applicants are all qualified. One thing they tell us is that they like to see you apply to academic programs. You find out if you are allowed to defer when the results from the GME board are released around Dec. 15. One thing is you will not get a NAVY radiology spot directly out of med school/internship unless you are first author on a major RCT or major paper that changes radiology and have a stellar app, but the publication in the one factor that could get you in. In other words, it won't happen. Hope this helps.
:)

Search this thread. We have discussed the objective basis that the board uses for looking at resident applications.

This includes class rank, peer reviewed publications, board scores, Fitreps, fleet time, prior service, prior medical service, etc.... There are 3 people that score your records and say if you have 2 major publications, it's 2 points x3 reviewers= 6 points. That could make up for a less than perfect GPA.