Navy Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an hpsp student c/o 2008 interested in the transitional year program was interested in the typical schedule how many days of vacation? How comparable is it to civillian transitional programs. The program of interest is the navy preferablly san diego or portsmouth.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am an hpsp student c/o 2008 interested in the transitional year program was interested in the typical schedule how many days of vacation? How comparable is it to civillian transitional programs. The program of interest is the navy preferablly san diego or portsmouth.
Thanks

Most RRCs allow 14 days of vacation as an intern. Navy is no different.

Tired said:
I'm guessing you typically end up using some or all of that for Step 3?

No ... when almost half of your rotations are 8-5 with no call, there's plenty of time to study.

I'll be the first to admit that the downside to transitional internships is the same as the upside - they're cushy. I know I would have worked harder, worked longer, and learned more as a surgery or medicine intern. But it was adequate prep for GMO-land and residency, I didn't have to take leave to have time to study, I didn't have to endure a weekly continuity clinic (medicine), I didn't have to endure the presence of surgeons (surgery). Quality of life counts for something.

- former Bethesda transitional intern

No ... when almost half of your rotations are 8-5 with no call, there's plenty of time to study.

I'll be the first to admit that the downside to transitional internships is the same as the upside - they're cushy. I know I would have worked harder, worked longer, and learned more as a surgery or medicine intern. But it was adequate prep for GMO-land and residency, I didn't have to take leave to have time to study, I didn't have to endure a weekly continuity clinic (medicine), I didn't have to endure the presence of surgeons (surgery). Quality of life counts for something.

- former Bethesda transitional intern

I agree with pgg. I am an ex- Bethesda transitional intern myself and is not bad at all. You will have a good share of inpatient and outpatient care without being in medicine or surgery. Plus, if you do a month in radiology you will have plenty of time to study and relax ( IOW: get drunk in downtown DC :cool: ). Good luck!