Nawlins versus Lewy Ville? What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raidergate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been accepted to do visiting 4th year trauma rotations at both LSU-NO and Louisville. Unfortunately, they're both for the same month. And, to make matters worse, I also signed up for UT-Memphis during that same month. I'm doing a total of three aways in GS, being that the branch of my school that I'm at doesn't have residents. The other two months are set in stone already with two other schools, and my PD told me to get three spots, it's best to apply for 4 or 5. Well, I did, and now I've got to cut one, maybe two, and decide which school I should say yes to, and which to give the polite "my school has unfortunately informed me that I will not be able to attend my roation as planned, however, I'm still highy interested in your program" line.

I've yet to hear back from Memphis, as of yet, but the lady did say I will either way by the end of the month.

Question, as Dwight Schrute would say, what are ya'lls thoughts on LSU-NO and Louisville?

Loiusville may a have a little better name, and I hear they operate early and a ton, while using the latest methods. However, I've also heard it's a tad malignant, and a tough place to train.

LSU-NO is an enigma right now. I know that Charity is still a disaster, and I don't even know what hospitals are up and running, or even if the residents are all back in the city permanently. The main reason I applied to do a rotation there is that my fiance's best friend is doing her residency there, I'd have a place to stay, and Nu-awlins was a ton of fun to visit back in the day. Long story short, I have no idea on the state of the program. I'm interested in Trauma/CC, and I'm guessing the gun and knife club is still operational in the area, at the very least.

Anyone else have any thoughts, especially on LSU?

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be reluctant to consider any of the New Orleans programs for the near future as the infrastructure of the downtown hospitals will take years (decades) to recover.

I trained for the better part of a decade at Louisville (surgery and then plastic surgery) and loved (nearly) every minute. GREAT city to live in. The trauma experience there is very,very intense (20-25 admits on summer call nights is not unusual)

I rotated on the PRS service at Louisville (my father was raised there) as a visiting medical student years ago and had a great time. Great residents, great faculty, great facilities (good food at Norton and Jewish) and lots of trauma as droliver notes above.

I haven't been to NO since Katrina but would imagine that things would be much less organized.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a current Louisville resident...

As mentioned, Norton and Jewish are good hospitals (with good food) for general surgery and other subspecialties but there is no trauma. All trauma goes to University Hospital which serves the roll of county hospital/indigent care in Louisville. It is the only trauma center in town, therefore can be quite busy and has large a referral area. On average though, probably not as busy as those huge county trauma centers like Grady and Parkland, but for a metro area of well under 1 million people, we stay quite busy on trauma. Plus, the trauma team also covers all general surgery that might walk in the door overnight. Good mix of blunt and penetrating trauma. They are truly resident-run trauma services from trauma bay to OR to ICU to floor and home; which I think is becoming more rare every year (maybe I'm wrong, but can't speak for other programs...) I think our residents are very pleasant and easy to get along with, at least the vast majority.

Can PM for other questions...