NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone. really appreciate all your advice on the part 2 exam. I was wondering if it is worth going through the "crack the NBDE" course. is it a good indication on the type of questions that they have on the real test? or is it best to just go through released papers.

does anyone have the release papers that they are willing to share or sell?

thanks

hey guys. is "crack the NBDE" any indication of what the part 2 is really like? how similar is it to the real thing?

any advice will be really appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
iam going to take part 2 in 10 days. so was tthe exam difficult?i mean is it very different from 1993 relased items? any topics we need 2 focus which r not especially coverd in decks? how come perio is difficult ? were the qs not similar to relaesd papers? thanks fr any help. good luck to u.
Hi,
iam starting my part2 and pls could you give me some advice on the part 2 study materials question papers anything at all.Thanks

SDN members,
I want to share my experience on part two boards since this website has helped me so much when I was preparing for the exam. The bottom line is do not underestimate this exam. Some people might get away with studying two weeks but I studied for 2-1/2 months 7-8 hours a day. Decks alone will not get it done guys, it so risky unless you were super good in your clinical years. I studied the dental decks(4-5 times), old exams(once), mosby (twice), and dental secrets(once). The exam was hard and it seemed like the answers, you could narrow it down to two but its very hard to come up with the final answer cause they are so close. Pharmacology and pathology was harder than expected. I got 351/500 and ended up with a composite score of 79. I took the ADA exactly 10 working days to get the score. I took the exam in Los Angeles. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Hi dentist777,
iam begining my part 2 studies.I got over with my part1 last month.Iam in desparate need for some advice regarding preparations for part 2.Please help me.Iam clueless,as to where to study from,what to study.I mean regarding the materials,the study pattern etc...It would really be a gr8 help if you can give me your contact number,so that i can talk to you personally.Please help.

thankyou..

Hi dentist777,
iam begining my part 2 studies.I got over with my part1 last month.Iam in desparate need for some advice regarding preparations for part 2.Please help me.Iam clueless,as to where to study from,what to study.I mean regarding the materials,the study pattern etc...It would really be a gr8 help if you can give me your contact number,so that i can talk to you personally.Please help.

thankyou..
hey bro, my advice to you in this month ! go over the decks the first week, then go over ASDA and know the answers and subjects really well. then go back study the decks again and Mosby book and do the exams again !! then review the decks and mosby with the tough question before the exam !! believe me its the best way !!

hey bro, my advice to you in this month ! go over the decks the first week, then go over ASDA and know the answers and subjects really well. then go back study the decks again and Mosby book and do the exams again !! then review the decks and mosby with the tough question before the exam !! believe me its the best way !!

hey,

On an average hw much time is required to prepare for part2

thanks

Hi!cataloni82,
thankyou so much for your advice.Appreciate it...

hey,

On an average hw much time is required to prepare for part2

thanks
to me I took longer than a month cuz I'm kinda slow !! and take alot of breaks !! so 8-10 everyday would be great!! remember to take breaks and have fun in ur breaks so u can have the guts to go back and study again. study like what I said mosby and decks .. and if u can study first aid its good too like what I heard. I emphasize on studying the ASDA exams cuz u gonna get some similar questions if not similar they ask about the same subjects. implants and codes of law and ethics is good to go over them too. thats what I can say !!

Members don't see this ad :)
any chance you might have the old exams?? i am taking the exam in Oct. and am trying to study from them but haven't found any yet...

Does anyone know what's the best tool to tell if you are ready to pass this exam? Maybe an old test that is comparable to see where you stand? Thanks for your help! :)

Any recent test takers out there willing to share their strategy and scores?

Much appreciated!!!!

Hi

Is anyone using Rudman's for part 2 to prep ? Any reviews regarding the material if anyone found the questions useful for PART 2??
Thanks

sj

Last edited:
if anybody can tell me that kaplan Q bank for part 2 is useful or not , I am planning to buy it

plz reply thanx

Any recent test takers out there willing to share their strategy and scores?

Much appreciated!!!!

Hi ddsgurl,

I took my part on july 1st n 2nd.
Even in day 1 I got many clinical qs.
The exam was ok. I feel that simply studying is not enough, we should have good knowledge of clinicals.
I got my score last week. It is 80.
Hope it will help u...
All d best :thumbup:

Hi ddsgurl,

The exam was ok. I feel that simply studying is not enough, we should have good knowledge of clinicals.
Hope it will help u...

:) Thank you iris999 for the info! You are the 1st. Congratulations on your score! May I ask what your #correct/500 was?

Hi ddsgurl,

Hope it will help u...

congrates on yr score.......can you tell me how many qs should be correct to get score around 80........how many qs for 2nd day atleat we should get ans correct?

do you think 2nd day is difficult to answer?

If I read decks, mosby and solve the qs papers is that enough?
what material you read?

I will really appreciate yr reply, thanx

Last edited:
I have pdf versions of first aid part 2 and 2007-2008 Dental decks part 2. I will trade for tufts or mosby's pdf. email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Hi ddsgurl,

Hope it will help u...

What was the national mean and your #correct? Would Kaplan Q bank, released exams, Mosby CD questions, or Decks be most helpful in the last days? Thank you for your answer!

Here is the break-down for each subject , # of Q asked from each subject and we must get passing figure out of it.
Endodontics-----------------30Q
Operative Dentistry----------45Q
Oral surgery-----------------43Q
Oral diagnosis----------------44Q
Ortho-Pedo------------------58Q
Patient Management---------56Q
Perio------------------------45Q
Pharmacology----------------34Q
Prosthodontic----------------45Q

My friend..i am taking my in 3 weeks. Do you have any old released exams...want to sale to me..?
Anybody..have old exams want to help me out..I will buy them..
email: [email protected]
thanks
G.Han

can you tell me what was your # correct out of 500 and also your # correct on day 2. Also, can you include the average mean on both of those. Thanks!!

What is most helpful during the last prep days--
review Decks, exams, or Kaplan Q bank? :luck:

Thanks!

Thanks.

Hello Sona risa

What was your scores both the times, did you improve your raw score the 2nd time around? did that improved your score overall?

maybe looking into your weak areas/ subjects might help you pass this exam .When are you taking it and good luck with prep

sj:luck:

anybody retaking NDB part 2 for the third time?? need advice

Good luck to those taking exam this week
You are all going to do really very well. :thumbup:
Do let us know what to study after your exam, might help us all in our preparation.

To all who are taking it next week or have taken this exam recently, kindly post your insights so that your friends at this form will also help others in achieving good scores!!:thumbup:
That is what sdn is all about:

sj

Thanks!

i have just started to study for part 2..wanted to know if its ok to refer to old additions of textbooks or should i buy new ones..the one's i have are preety old like from 1995-97

hi guys,
can anybody please help me in understanding what the differences are b/w acute periapical periodontitis,acute apical abscess,chronic periradicular periodontitis ,chronic periradicular abscess are?I get so confused with these.When i read about them,it seems like i've understood the matter,but when it comes to answering questions...am :confused:.Please...

hi guys,
can anybody please help me in understanding what the differences are b/w acute periapical periodontitis,acute apical abscess,chronic periradicular periodontitis ,chronic periradicular abscess are?I get so confused with these.When i read about them,it seems like i've understood the matter,but when it comes to answering questions...am :confused:.Please...
Mosby explain them pretty well. Also, in the decks in both perio and endo they explain them. I think u will find some in Operative and pedo.
about implants, you can't cover it well from the decks or from other books. you need to experience it or had a class that u can review those questions. good luck with it :)

Mosby explain them pretty well. Also, in the decks in both perio and endo they explain them. I think u will find some in Operative and pedo.
about implants, you can't cover it well from the decks or from other books. you need to experience it or had a class that u can review those questions. good luck with it :)

Thanks...

Can somebody please tell me what all we need to read on Implants.Too much on it that am getting confused.Thnx.

If you have notes from dental school classes, I would use that. It seemed sufficient to me. Also on the ADA Part 2 website, there's a long list of reference texts to study for Part 2. The addy is: http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/c...ence_texts.pdf. I used my own notes, but you could look on the website to supplement your studying if you don't have class notes. Good luck :thumbup:

Last edited:
i have just started to study for part 2..wanted to know if its ok to refer to old additions of textbooks or should i buy new ones..the one's i have are preety old like from 1995-97

On the ADA Part 2 website, there's a list of reference texts to study for Part 2. The link is: http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/construction/nbde02_reference_texts.pdf

I think it is important to make sure your knowledge of dentistry is up to date no matter how you go about it. Good luck :thumbup:

Hi DDSGURL and future test takers:

How was your part 2 Exam??

Kindly help us all by writing down your recent test taking experiences, so that it will help all of us:
The format is an old one used by many previous sdner's before!! FOR PART 2:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:

Most Difficult topics to answer:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

thanks and good luck with results:luck:
sj

On the ADA Part 2 website, there's a list of reference texts to study for Part 2. The link is: http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/construction/nbde02_reference_texts.pdf

I think it is important to make sure your knowledge of dentistry is up to date no matter how you go about it. Good luck :thumbup:

Cumulative Study Hours: It varied a lot per day for me, just because some days were hard to concentrate and others I hit the books very hard. I studied for seven weeks very well.
Recommended Studying Materials: Decks, Implant Notes, Refer to your texts or class notes to review. (I also used Kaplan Test Center Prep, Mosby, Released Exams...not sure how much it helped? I do think the Kap Qbank helps you learn basic concepts.)
Most Difficult topics to answer: I think it varies for everyone...
Study DOs: Stay calm and believe in yourself. You have gotten this far on your own and will do the same again. Sleep well before the exam so you have stamina and are clear headed the day of. Also review the topics you know you are weak in. Don't underestimate this exam--you have to get a lot of Q's correct to pass.
Study DON'Ts: In my opinion, don't go too far off topic in Path. Know the ones they test over and over very well.

I was originally going to wait to share my experience since I am waiting on my scores. Best of luck to all! And when you are done with your exams, please update SDN with your experience for others as a thank you to the ones who have helped you. :luck: