NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Sweetpannacotta,

Can you please post your scores as well. I took my exam on Sept 1st and 2nd...and am worried cus i havent gotten my results yet. Thank you in advance.

i took my test on same dates as you, and received scores yesterday.. you should get yours shortly

Ok, here is my scores and (national mean)

OPer 50/58 (44.3)
Pharmaco 30/39 (27.4)
Prosth 50/63 (42.8)
Endo 31/38 (28.7)
Oral Patho&Radio 42/58 (39.4)
Ortho&Pediatric 53/70 (53.8)
Perio 41/59 (43.2)
Oral Surg 31/57 (37.4)
Patient management 34/58 (43.1)

total = 362/500 (360.X)
Comp score= 79/100

Questions in Patient management and Implants are nothing in my study materials.Oh well.

Sweetpannacotta, what did you receive on your case based items? Thanks for posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's 61/100 ( 64.9)

You know that it's already included in each section, right?
Anyway, hope you get yr result soon and share it too.

If there is any American Citizen out there who feels they have experienced unfairness in taking NBDE part 1 and 2, based on exam hardness, unfairness, unfair score passing for some but deleterious for others, should contact a trial attorney for civil damages despite their non-binding electronic arbitration agreement. You could achieve civil damage income of a dentist until retirement. I am sorry for the guy who retook the test the second time getting a 72, and scored 24 points(317) higher than his first time (293-score of 73), shows negligence and a defensless case against the ADA and Joint Dental Commission before any smart judge or common jury. Sue-them!!

The ADA would be pissed at the wreckless behavior of the Joint Dental Commission. The electronic arbitration agreement is non-binding, and will not be admissible b/c most of the binding agreements go into default upon registration and also these agreements are not signed AGREEMENTS!

You have a legal system to correct this negligence and wreckless, any BIG time trial lawyer would take a case like this and reward millions of dollars you would have earned as a dentist!

..I am not talking B.S*#t. here. I spoke with a appeals judge in my hometown and he said civil action is imminent here. Meaning, their electronic arbitration is non-binding and is not admissible on thier part, so that your case cannot be mitigated to damages of $100,000 versus $9million or what a dentist would make in his entire career.

The Law is the Comforter of Democracy and Fairness. ...so use it!!!

Sue-Them!!

Damn, that was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally feel wronged, no doubt about it!!!

If there is any American Citizen out there who feels they have experienced unfairness in taking NBDE part 1 and 2, based on exam hardness, unfairness, unfair score passing for some but deleterious for others, should contact a trial attorney for civil damages despite their non-binding electronic arbitration agreement. You could achieve civil damage income of a dentist until retirement. I am sorry for the guy who retook the test the second time getting a 72, and scored 24 points(317) higher than his first time (293-score of 73), shows negligence and a defensless case against the ADA and Joint Dental Commission before any smart judge or common jury. Sue-them!!

The ADA would be pissed at the wreckless behavior of the Joint Dental Commission. The electronic arbitration agreement is non-binding, and will not be admissible b/c most of the binding agreements go into default upon registration and also these agreements are not signed AGREEMENTS!

You have a legal system to correct this negligence and wreckless, any BIG time trial lawyer would take a case like this and reward millions of dollars you would have earned as a dentist!

..I am not talking B.S*#t. here. I spoke with a appeals judge in my hometown and he said civil action is imminent here. Meaning, their electronic arbitration is non-binding and is not admissible on thier part, so that your case cannot be mitigated to damages of $100,000 versus $9million or what a dentist would make in his entire career.

The Law is the Comforter of Democracy and Fairness. ...so use it!!!

Sue-Them!!

i scored 46 points higher the second time and went 71 to 73....i hate this, this exam doesnt show how skilled you are as a dentist...its actually stupid..im just bitter o well...

i scored 46 points higher the second time and went 71 to 73....i hate this, this exam doesnt show how skilled you are as a dentist...its actually stupid..im just bitter o well...

Guys, this guy might be right !! this ADA is using our money to raise their funds. this NBDE test has nothing to do with our skills. we finished all our clinical classes without a problem and now we can't graduate because of this test. It's completely UNFAIR !! Am up to Sue them !!!

has anyone tried to audit their scores? has it changed anything? im planning on sending an audit myself just to try to get a couple of questions...i think that 's really all i needed to reach 75 but i dont know if i should really be hopeful or not..

Can anyone share?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone tried to audit their scores? has it changed anything? im planning on sending an audit myself just to try to get a couple of questions...i think that 's really all i needed to reach 75 but i dont know if i should really be hopeful or not..

Can anyone share?

I saw somewhere recently where someone said that they've never seen an audit be successful, now for u that got a 74 is definitely worth it and for $25 it's a not bad price. Good luck and let us know.

Hi guys I know everyone says Mosby is the best for part2 but what about
NBDE FIRST AID for part2 ?
I dont have mosby, will first aid do the job or should i purchase it
please advice thank u

Tufts review material is the intellectual property of Tufts University and it's instructors. It is not for resale or distribution. Secondly, do NOT place ads in this thread requesting material. This is a thread for discussion of the NBDE. Keep the ads in the classifieds section.

I am very sorry to read your response. I can't imagine and nor can a jury of your peers; understand or agree that anyone who spent 4years of their life, learning the entire dental school curriculumn, making great grades in the basic science and clinical practice on patients be told to not practice dentistry because they failed to pass a test that failed to examined the VERACITY in how competent a student is in providing basic standard of patient care and recogizing solutions to patient care dilemmas. I feel the more you are left out of the loop in working on patients, because this test fail to recognize and test you in the area clinical competency and patient care, leads to an issue of negligence and liability. You see the NERB test all aspects of dental school and is more reliable and predictable in a persons competent ability to provide the minimum standard of care for patients, etc. This NBDE part 2 fails to demonstrate that and is walking on thin ice and all it takes is 1 case to bring this to the attention of a good trial lawyer, and this test will change it's unfair practices immediately, to one that is funded in Academic Veracity and Fairness. ....Not one student should have to experience such a painstaking experience and miss out on future loss earnings b/c this test failed to examine his entire qualifications of providing the standard of care that his dental school curriculum has proved otherwise.

All you would need to get started is about $12,000-$15,000 to hire your trial lawyer and economist...maybe one deposition maybe needed to depose the Joint Commission Chair, and his testimony will be very interesting under oath. You shouldn't have to feel bad and give up on becoming a dentist after undergoing 4 years of study and doing well inside the classrooms, clinics, and exams and other board test to put the ADA in perspective against the Joint Dental Commission.

Good Luck!!

I have re-taken the part 2 for four times now, and I am sadly to report that I have not passed the exam. After the third attempt, ADA made me wait for a year period(which was a long wait for me), and I recently retook the exam which was on august 18th, 2009. I studied with textbooks, mosby's review book, old exams, dental decks, kaplan review book and you name it, I studied intensely for two months(avg.4-5 hr/day, 6days a wk). Sadly, when I got the result back, I only obtained 71 composite score! I was morbidly upset by it and I had a flash thought of just quitting dentistry altogther. My raw scores are: 304/500 and 52/100. I really need help on what I am lacking... I studied it so much and reviewed every single subject... I dont' know what is going on... Let me know if any of you guys have any thoughts or recommendations. I am getting pretty desperate here.

I am very sorry to read your response. I can't imagine and nor can a jury of your peers; understand or agree that anyone who spent 4years of their life, learning the entire dental school curriculumn, making great grades in the basic science and clinical practice on patients be told to not practice dentistry because they failed to pass a test that failed to examined the VERACITY in how competent a student is in providing basic standard of patient care and recogizing solutions to patient care dilemmas. I feel the more you are left out of the loop in working on patients, because this test fail to recognize and test you in the area clinical competency and patient care, leads to an issue of negligence and liability. You see the NERB test all aspects of dental school and is more reliable and predictable in a persons competent ability to provide the minimum standard of care for patients, etc. This NBDE part 2 fails to demonstrate that and is walking on thin ice and all it takes is 1 case to bring this to the attention of a good trial lawyer, and this test will change it's unfair practices immediately, to one that is funded in Academic Veracity and Fairness. ....Not one student should have to experience such a painstaking experience and miss out on future loss earnings b/c this test failed to examine his entire qualifications of providing the standard of care that his dental school curriculum has proved otherwise.

All you would need to get started is about $12,000-$15,000 to hire your trial lawyer and economist...maybe one deposition maybe needed to depose the Joint Commission Chair, and his testimony will be very interesting under oath. You shouldn't have to feel bad and give up on becoming a dentist after undergoing 4 years of study and doing well inside the classrooms, clinics, and exams and other board test to put the ADA in perspective against the Joint Dental Commission.

Good Luck!!

oh my god i am so sorry to hear this...i just failed three times and i have to wait one year now...and reading this is really scaring me! i have just lost my spot in a GPR and i am so upset about it as i dont know what to do for a year!! Anyways, what happens now after 4 times? you have to wait 90 days again to take it?
Good luck with all this, i know how frustrating it can be..

oh my god i am so sorry to hear this...i just failed three times and i have to wait one year now...and reading this is really scaring me! i have just lost my spot in a GPR and i am so upset about it as i dont know what to do for a year!! Anyways, what happens now after 4 times? you have to wait 90 days again to take it?
Good luck with all this, i know how frustrating it can be..

Don't be afraid, when civil damages against this type of negligence is somewhere in $8-9million dollars, not including fringe benefits, and the court may grant you your degree still based on proven academic and clinical competency beyond the examination capacity of the NBDE.

All you will need is a re-taken score report that showed you had more questions correct than the first time you took it with a decline in the overall score result, and a copy of there released exams to show clinical incompetency...is enough burden maybe to attract a trial attorney to put his/her own money to pursue suit....

I am sorry for you adverse experience with his.....you need to speak with some big time attorneys in your state....if you're in New York, Boston, or California, the judges are much smarter and court room savy for plaintiffs, in establishing balance.

Good luck and God Bless,

Well one of my friends did try and get her scores audited, but it did not help, but no harm in trying if your scores are just about passing ...
good luck
sj

Can anyone share?

Thanks fo the legal feedbacks..perhaps it may help many students...

Don't be afraid, when civil damages against this type of negligence is somewhere in $8-9million dollars, not including fringe benefits, and the court may grant you your degree still based on proven academic and clinical competency beyond the examination capacity of the NBDE.

All you will need is a re-taken score report that showed you had more questions correct than the first time you took it with a decline in the overall score result, and a copy of there released exams to show clinical incompetency...is enough burden maybe to attract a trial attorney to put his/her own money to pursue suit....

I am sorry for you adverse experience with his.....you need to speak with some big time attorneys in your state....if you're in New York, Boston, or California, the judges are much smarter and court room savy for plaintiffs, in establishing balance.

Good luck and God Bless,

Thanks fo the legal feedbacks..perhaps it may help many students...

I mean, I hope it does....b/c it really hurts me to know that there has been an American citizen who spent 4years of their life, their money and many many nights of studying to graduate and be competent in patient care to be told to he/she is incompetent by not being able to pass an exam that fail to examine his/her clinical competency?

..and the arbitration agreement that forces applicants to agree to before completing the application process, more than often gets defaulted and is non-binding against a legal action that will be brought up in court...all they would need is a copy of those released ASDA test books, their negligent score reports, their dental school transcripts of the clinics and classroom, NERB scores, or WREB scores, and it's a sure defensless case worth MILLIONS!!....at that point, he/she could hire a dentist to do all their work for needing patients...i mean i can't not believe they failed American citizen students for scoring higher the second and third time they took this test!!

BTW guys, I called ADA today and they told me there is no curve !!! they said the exam is based on points and questions difficulty !! so I think they rank the questions and if you get the tough ones you get more points. It's a stupid system !! but thats how they grade us. I also asked him for the second timer, well the test be tougher !! he said it's always the same difficulty but you will get a different version from the last one !! but I don't trust him when he said you won't get a more diffcult one cuz based on what I see in here.. people say that the 2nd time is tougher !!

that's sux, my guy friend took this test April 2009, and got 322 right, and they gave him a 76....this person got 325 right and got a 74....is sooooo WRONG-AGAIN!!!

that's sux, my guy friend took this test April 2009, and got 322 right, and they gave him a 76....this person got 325 right and got a 74....is sooooo WRONG-AGAIN!!!
What can I do ? This test is so wrong !! we have to do something to pass it. They think whatever we do is cheating or illegal, but the don't care what we think about them. they only want the application fees and made us pay for it again !!

Hi
How is everyone part 2 preparation going on?
anyone planning on taking the test this month....
how do u find the test papers..:confused:
good luck !
thanks

sj:luck:

I posted the below message about a year ago and I hope you guys benefit from this and all pass the part II

icon1.gif
Nobody should be taking part II unless........

1. Nobody should dare to take NBDE part II unless you've read Mosbys 5 times, Dental decks 3 times, released exams (93 and 03) 5 times (make sure to memorize all the answers), open questions posted by SDN members (there are several threads on this board) twice as you'll see a lot of similar or same questions, Oral pathology books with pictures at least once a day for 3 months.

2. Keep in mind that only 30 percent of the 2nd timers pass Part 2 as ADA won't give you any curve for the 2nd timers. That's why most 2nd time examees end up getting 74.

3. Don't take the exam just to see what it's like. If you don't pass first time, your chance of passing will decrease substantially. In other words, don't take the exam unless you're ready to ace the exam.

4. Don't listen to those liars who claim to have passed the exam with only one week of studying.

5. Read this post again, go to the library and start studying.

Everybody loves "Single Mom DDS"

Last edited:
I posted the below message about a year ago and I hope you guys benefit from this and all pass the part II

icon1.gif
Nobody should be taking part II unless........

1. Nobody should dare to take NBDE part II unless you've read Mosbys 5 times, Dental decks 3 times, released exams (93 and 03) 5 times (make sure to memorize all the answers), open questions posted by SDN members (there are several threads on this board) twice as you'll see a lot of similar or same questions, Oral pathology books with pictures at least once a day for 3 months.

2. Keep in mind that only 30 percent of the 2nd timers pass Part 2 as ADA won't give you any curve for the 2nd timers. That's why most 2nd time examees end up getting 74.

3. Don't take the exam just to see what it's like. If you don't pass first time, your chance of passing will decrease substantially. In other words, don't take the exam unless you're ready to ace the exam.

4. Don't listen to those liars who claim to have passed the exam with only one week of studying.

5. Read this post again, go to the library and start studying.

Everybody loves "Single Mom DDS"
Thank you so much for laying it out straight to the point ..
Want to clear one thing as u have mentioned about the released papers from 93.. so if i dont have time Can i skip solving the released papers from 78 onwards[its a huge set n am sure i can take the whole month in solving only papers from the year 78]
Thank u once again

Thank you so much for laying it out straight to the point ..
Want to clear one thing as u have mentioned about the released papers from 93.. so if i dont have time Can i skip solving the released papers from 78 onwards[its a huge set n am sure i can take the whole month in solving only papers from the year 78]
Thank u once again

From my experience I had many repeat ?s from 93 and 95. Knowing concepts from the earlier tests would not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't spend too much time messing w/materials earlier than 91. What single mom says is very valid in that don't be fooled by ppl that say they didn't spend much time studiying and that those who failed once have a hard time passing afterwards, take it from me. I thought I had passed by a long shot the second time I took it, I had NO questions or no doubts about it. You know the rest of the story..... I would also recommend to get the newest released exam as some of those ?s may be on the test verbatim. Good luck!

Hi all

any suggestions on patient management questions , where to read up from ? seems that these q are all over the place in all the papers ..
is there any book for these topics? and what about treatment planning for cases ?

thanks!
sj

From my experience I had many repeat ?s from 93 and 95. Knowing concepts from the earlier tests would not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't spend too much time messing w/materials earlier than 91. What single mom says is very valid in that don't be fooled by ppl that say they didn't spend much time studiying and that those who failed once have a hard time passing afterwards, take it from me. I thought I had passed by a long shot the second time I took it, I had NO questions or no doubts about it. You know the rest of the story..... I would also recommend to get the newest released exam as some of those ?s may be on the test verbatim. Good luck!
Thank u so much .. goodluck to u too

Hi all

any suggestions on patient management questions , where to read up from ? seems that these q are all over the place in all the papers ..
is there any book for these topics? and what about treatment planning for cases ?

thanks!
sj

I had already posted a couple of times that one of the best resources for pt mgt is mosbys. Read this section before the exam, trust me, it will be very helpful! Decks in this subject was VERY poor in my experience.

There were many tx planning ?s for me both the first and second day.. and this was kind of frustrating because there were tx planning ?s regarding prost, operative, pedo, ortho etc. So in each section u study, pay particular attn to the subject of tx planning, especially in the prost. section (removable vs. fixed) and OS (implants). As single mom says, a good idea is to spend good time reviewing path pictures from wherever you can find them. You will be thankful you did. Good luck!

hello.. i'm planning to take my part II next month.. do u know how can i get the released exams?? any tip for the exam, or previous exams questions.... plz

Did any one confirm you that they r going to appeal. I mean how many had showed the desire to go to court. You r taking a good cause. Lets see how far it goes. GoodLuck:)

i am interested in going to court....this is all BULL...making us get over 200k in loans and not letting us pay it back for a stupid exam that doesnt test competency

Can't we file a joint legal petition..that way we all can contribute, put combined effort which might add the pressure..I wish I knew an atorney

i am interested in going to court....this is all BULL...making us get over 200k in loans and not letting us pay it back for a stupid exam that doesnt test competency

I'm totally with you... yes loans that expensive and can't pay them off?? Yeah right!!!

Does this make sense:

1st attempt 285 correct= 74
2nd attempt 300 correct= 73
3rd attempt 322 correct= 73

for what i understand is that the "curve" decreases, even if they don't admit having a curve

please help!

Does this make sense:

1st attempt 285 correct= 74
2nd attempt 300 correct= 73
3rd attempt 322 correct= 73

for what i understand is that the "curve" decreases, even if they don't admit having a curve

please help!

WHAT!!???? Are you kidding me??!!!! Ur numbers continually got higher and yet the 3rd attempt is still a 73, makes no sense at all!!
I wonder if truly what single dds mom says is right that the computer can tell how many times we have taken it so it grades accordingly. I didn't think so since my raw score was higher my second time around, my overall score was lower BUT I missed by far the most ?s on operative and I understand the weight of this subject is much higher than any other subject, so my score made sense. I wonder let's say if I would have "bombed" path (like I did operative) if my score would have been the same or I would have passed, who knows.

hey guys. i don't know if this will help anyone, but here are my scores as well so we can get a approx number of what they are looking for passing....

1st: 287/500 72
2nd: 325/500 74
3rd: 325/500 74

hope this helps.

Last edited:
hey guys. i don't know if this will help anyone, but here are my scores as well so we can get a approx number of what they are looking for passing....

1st: 287/500 72
2nd: 325/500 74
3rd: 325/500 74

hope this helps.

Here's mine:
1st: 293 = 73
2nd: 317 = 72

It is a good idea to have others post their scores, but should probably be posted in the part 2 failures instead I think.

Now that we have some scores above..does anyone have an idea of what's going on,,IS THERE A CURVE..

what should be a strategy to PASS..please help

I am totolly down to sue the JCDE..the whole concept that some more difficult questions are scores higher is messed up. How do you decide what question is harder? harder for who? If you have been exposed to the subject then its easy but if you have not then its hard. I also don't understand the curve, that means there is always a percent of people who will fail, people who have finished 4 years of dental school- this test just doesn't make scense. We need to do something!! In the current state of out economy- with hundreds of thousands in student loans!! I have taken this exam for the 3rd time and failed again 325/500 & 56/100 for the 2nd day= 381 and got a 74. I have a friend that got a 405 and passed with a 79 around the same time I took the exam. How does a 24 point diffrerence constitute a 5 percent raw score difference? It doesn't make scense.

UR TOTAL score is 325/500, NOT 381/500..Second day is already added to the raw score, break down is given just for UR information..thought U shud know

fyi for everyone...i had my scores audited 2 times. when i spoke to the people over at the ADA regarding it, i asked them approx. how many q's is a 74 away from passing and they said somewhere b/w 10-20 q's depending on the test. i got 325 q's correct on my 2nd and 3rd attempt, assuming the high end to be correct i think in the neighborhood of 345 is passing...plz correct me if i am wrong.

g'luck everyone

fyi for everyone...i had my scores audited 2 times. when i spoke to the people over at the ADA regarding it, i asked them approx. how many q's is a 74 away from passing and they said somewhere b/w 10-20 q's depending on the test. i got 325 q's correct on my 2nd and 3rd attempt, assuming the high end to be correct i think in the neighborhood of 345 is passing...plz correct me if i am wrong.

g'luck everyone

Sounds right smileyface, but here is the interesting thing... does the 345 score apply to everyone regardless or to ppl like us who have already failed at least once? That's the ?? for a lot of us!!!
With a 345, that's doesn't seem much of a curve at all!!

i dont think there is a curve...cause four of my friends passed with scores ranged from 316 - 327 the first time they took it...

so its this whole crap is bull ****