NBDE at 45

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nidhee

Reaction score
Hi I am 45 . Is it a crazy idea to study for NBDE ? How many people in my age plan on doing this ? everyone has been discouraging me .
i have dental decks from 2013 . are they too old t o read now ?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not too old to study and pass it. You are not to old to pass TOEFL. You are not too old to apply, be accepted and graduate from International program. But: you might be too old to acquire a significant debt
Before making a decision on spending money on the IDP process answer some of the questions:
1. Will I have enough time to prepare for exams with work, children and other adult responsibilities. Because to graduate before turning 50 will require you to be very efficient, meaning passing exam first attempt
2. Am I able to get all the recommendation letters for application. All the letters now have to be uploaded online
3. Do I have money to pay for the program. Keep in mind, that programs prefer young recent graduates, meaning you will not be competitive for cheap state schools and will have to pay high tuition of a private school. Do you have $300K on average right now in your pocket?
A lot of people think only about projected salary/income often forgetting about taxes and loan repayment costs. Figure out if you will be willing to work at a public facility for 5-10 years to have your loan forgiven. Do you want to choose income based repayment and pay a huge tax on 300K at the age 65? Simple calculations: dentist salary in your area, minus taxes, minus loan repayment. What would be left for living expenses and retirement savings?
4. Am I up to all the stress?
5. Am I in good enough health to get disability insurance when I graduate? Because you don't want to have a huge loan and not be able to pay it off
In order to do all the fast and smooth transition to licensed dentistry you need to have time, money and very supportive family. Yes, all three
Otherwise it will be long and exhausting
There is a fairly easy way to provide well for yourself and family. Do the dental hygiene. Private schools like Concord college offer fast 17 months program, practically no requirements and much cheaper
You may have guaranteed good income and no headache

You are not too old to study and pass it. You are not to old to pass TOEFL. You are not too old to apply, be accepted and graduate from International program. But: you might be too old to acquire a significant debt
Before making a decision on spending money on the IDP process answer some of the questions:
1. Will I have enough time to prepare for exams with work, children and other adult responsibilities. Because to graduate before turning 50 will require you to be very efficient, meaning passing exam first attempt
2. Am I able to get all the recommendation letters for application. All the letters now have to be uploaded online
3. Do I have money to pay for the program. Keep in mind, that programs prefer young recent graduates, meaning you will not be competitive for cheap state schools and will have to pay high tuition of a private school. Do you have $300K on average right now in your pocket?
A lot of people think only about projected salary/income often forgetting about taxes and loan repayment costs. Figure out if you will be willing to work at a public facility for 5-10 years to have your loan forgiven. Do you want to choose income based repayment and pay a huge tax on 300K at the age 65? Simple calculations: dentist salary in your area, minus taxes, minus loan repayment. What would be left for living expenses and retirement savings?
4. Am I up to all the stress?
5. Am I in good enough health to get disability insurance when I graduate? Because you don't want to have a huge loan and not be able to pay it off
In order to do all the fast and smooth transition to licensed dentistry you need to have time, money and very supportive family. Yes, all three
Otherwise it will be long and exhausting
There is a fairly easy way to provide well for yourself and family. Do the dental hygiene. Private schools like Concord college offer fast 17 months program, practically no requirements and much cheaper
You may have guaranteed good income and no headache
Thank yo so much

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am 45 . Is it a crazy idea to study for NBDE ? How many people in my age plan on doing this ? everyone has been discouraging me .
i have dental decks from 2013 . are they too old t o read now ?
Hi, I am 44...soon 45.
I passed Nbde1, but I still have Nbde2...
I know I am not 25🤔😉, but I do not want to give up.
Most of the international students are not even 30, I guess....but I try not to think about it.
I know sometimes it can become very discouraging, but I think about my goal...
Even so, if we are healthy, we can still practice for more than 15years, right?
And to do what we love to do!!!

appreciate your reply so much iam so confused how to start what to study ? text books ? decks ?

For NBDE1 I did from First aid and then, dental decks.
I also did the Mastery app.
After these, I did from ASDA papers ( in my opinion, these were really helpful).

Before the day of exam, I did the booklet from dental decks. Useful, too.

Now I study for Nbde2.
I have Mosby review, Dental Decks, Mastery app. And for Pharmacology , the Tufts review.

And when I finish studying the - let's say theoretical part- I do from ASDA papers.

There are also some files on internet with some questions.

The truth is that there are so many.....

But now, I think INBDE is better. If you do not have passed Nbde1.