NBDE Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mexipina Jasmin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In preparing for Boards Part 1 I've been hearing a lot about dental decks and old exams. Is that what everyone swears by? Has anyone tried or heard of someone who tried Kaplan materials/course prep? Is it any good? Do you have some other method(s) that helped you pass and do well?

Members don't see this ad.

How come no one posts here? Maybe some search in the forum may be good.

Mexipina Jasmin said:
In preparing for Boards Part 1 I've been hearing a lot about dental decks and old exams. Is that what everyone swears by? Has anyone tried or heard of someone who tried Kaplan materials/course prep? Is it any good? Do you have some other method(s) that helped you pass and do well?

I also am preparing for the NDBE I. At my school they set up a panel of 3rd year students, all of which were the top of the class in their scores, who gave their personal strategies for studying for the big test. It seemed to me that it depends entirely on personal study habits. For example, several of them did their bulk of studying two weeks before the exam, in marathon fashion. While others started as far back as January, just getting organized and assessing weaknesses and strengths. They all seemed to agree that "burn-out" was a common occurence in their class, where people who started studying months in advance were so tired of it by crunch time that they lacked the motivation to cram the rest of it in...meanwhile forgetting much of what they had studied three months ago! Dental decks were by far the most popular study aid, with some only studying decks and old exams. I know a fourth year who studied his butt off for months, reading all the USMLE review books pertaining to the NDBE I material, doing all the old exams, reading the Kaplan book for the Dental Morphology material, and reading a special little blue book we use at UCSF for our Oral Biology course. He scored a 99. So, basically if you're willing to be psycho and devote your entire spring quarter to studying for the boards, then you will do awesome. Plenty of people have done very well (90 and above) by just reviewing the decks and old exams. I guess it depends on how much you think you need to study in order to get the score you want! Lucky for me I just won a raffle at a Kaplan meeting. The reward was the new review book and 6 months worth of their QBank (a huge bank of NDBE-like questions for all sections). I'm not sure how much of the book I'm going to use, but I'll definitely utilize the QBank to assess where I suck and where I can relax.
Good Luck!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your comments. They've helped a lot. Thanks! Good luck to you too! :)

dont waste your time on kaplan and other stuff.
if you want to get over 90's, study 1)dental decks 2)old exams 3)BRS(board reveiw series) for topics you're not good with. kaplan is just waste of time/money.

I personally think you can get above 90 without kaplan, but it did help me. Everyone has their own methods of study so kaplan may really help some people, while others it may be a waste.

USCtrojan said:
if you want to get over 90's, study 1)dental decks 2)old exams 3)BRS(board reveiw series) for topics you're not good with. kaplan is just waste of time/money.

Unless you're like me and win $400 worth of Kaplan materials at a raffle you just happened to be at because there was free food!

I didn't use Kaplan, but I have seen it and feel it's overly dense. You're time is probably better spent with USMLE First Aid and subject review books like the Digging up the Bones series.

USCtrojan said:

How did USC do on the NBDE I this year?

Did they improve the near bottom scores on Part 2?

the USMLE review books are helpful if you are already highly motivated.

Mr. So-So said:
the USMLE review books are helpful if you are already highly motivated.

Could you guys recommend a good review book for physio and anatomy/histo sections?? And are there about 30 biochem questions out of the 100 for the physio/biochem section?