paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Does anyone have the full or almost full rankings for National Board scores?
Without any propaganda of course. I think it would be interesting to see.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I like to see that too.

germ

Riding Dirty
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
South
anything for validation.

ok ok columbia is a good school already.

now run along and play with your US News rankings

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
You'll never find such a list. The top handful of schools are usually very forthright (rightfully so) about mentioning their averages, but the information becomes non-existant after that.

Many schools won't even tell their own students where they fall in the national scheme of thing.

OP
paolorossifan

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
ItsGavinC said:
You'll never find such a list. The top handful of schools are usually very forthright (rightfully so) about mentioning their averages, but the information becomes non-existant after that.

Many schools won't even tell their own students where they fall in the national scheme of thing.
I thought that might be the case. In that case,anyone have the top schools?

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
haha u know whats funny

i was at temple for an interview couple of months ago. and i decided to ask the dude giving the tour what was the school's average. and was like 82 or something low like that. but he was like but those numbers don't mean anything. the important number is later on your licensing boards and stuff. i was like sure :)

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
paolorossifan said:
I thought that might be the case. In that case,anyone have the top schools?
I believe UCLA, Harvard, and UCONN are the top 3 this year.

The only average I know is 92% for UCLA, with 6 or 7 of the 80-some-odd students scoring perfect (99%).

mccarth2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
rocknightmare said:
haha u know whats funny

i was at temple for an interview couple of months ago. and i decided to ask the dude giving the tour what was the school's average. and was like 82 or something low like that. but he was like but those numbers don't mean anything. the important number is later on your licensing boards and stuff. i was like sure :)
It's funny that you mentioned that because we had an admissions officer from Arizona come and talk to us about their new school and he said their pass rate was at 75% for all sections. I thought this was kind of low, but he said that they were at the national average for all dental schools.

nnjh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At my interview at columbia I was told we have been in the top 3 or 5 with a average of 90. Hehe... I've also been told by a fouth year that the current third years bombed the boards and dropped to 7th or 8th place or something nationally and the deans are pissed. I think U.conn was the top dog for the past 2 or 3 years. Harvard / UCLA traditionally have also been strong. Doesn't the ADA publish stats of this kind? It should be made public for all the predents.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
ziptree said:
I believe UCLA, Harvard, and UCONN are the top 3 this year.

The only average I know is 92% for UCLA, with 6 or 7 of the 80-some-odd students scoring perfect (99%).
So UCLA must be one hella competitive school. Well, also consider that their average enter DAT scores are one of the highest in the nation, so they choose high academic achievers to begin with.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
nnjh said:
At my interview at columbia I was told we have been in the top 3 or 5 with a average of 90. Hehe... I've also been told by a fouth year that the current third years bombed the boards and dropped to 7th or 8th place or something nationally and the deans are pissed. I think U.conn was the top dog for the past 2 or 3 years. Harvard / UCLA traditionally have also been strong. Doesn't the ADA publish stats of this kind? It should be made public for all the predents.
I was there for an interview. Afterwards, I went and talk to the students there on my own. They said that the 3rd years were pretty friendly cohort that share and aren't so cutthroat, perhaps theire kick back attitude explains the less than excellent board scores.

OP
paolorossifan

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:
I was there for an interview. Afterwards, I went and talk to the students there on my own. They said that the 3rd years were pretty friendly cohort that share and aren't so cutthroat, perhaps theire kick back attitude explains the less than excellent board scores.
I sinscerely hope our class is like those 3rd years. I'm sure we share and combine our efforts and still have those that wish to spec get the grades they need.

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Jk5177, I wouldn’t worry too much about the competition at UCLA if you decide to go there . The reason why UCLA board scores are so high every year is because the school over-prepare their students. Naturally, there are going to be a few who are cut-throat( the 6 or so who got 99%) , but you will find those overachievers at any given school. I talked to a 2nd year, who told me that generally everyone is friendly and willing to help their classmates, except a few who wants the exceptional pass.