NBEO and gap year

Started by LUC78
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LUC78

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in a situation where I am having to take a year off for a personal reason. I have just completed up until 1 quarter of my 2nd year. I know this might sound ambitious but I was playing around with the idea of starting to study for and taking boards by the end of the 1 year. I know theres still a lot of content that I have not learned as only a 2nd year student but I was planning on buying KMK optometry and using my physician husband as a resource as well as professors at my university as needed to answer questions.

Again, I do not know much about boards and am just playing around with the idea.

Is NBEO taken only in March or can I schedule to take it any time throughout the year? And does this sound even remotely doable for a pretty focused student and the time line I have available?
 
Can you clarify? You are in 1st quarter of 2nd year, but u want to take boards at end of first?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah thank you so much for the reply!

Sorry so to clarify I will be doing the extended course at my school. I will take a majority of the 2nd year's classes this year. And then next year id just have 2-3 classes to take each quarter most of where are just P/F repeats of old courses I did fine on to apparently keep me "refreshed". So I was playing around with the idea of possibly using next year to study for Boards and take the exam as an entering Fall 3rd year student.
 
I think your school signs off/approves of you taking boards so you may want to ask them this (perhaps they will wait until the spring with the other third years).