NBEO and gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a situation where I am having to take a year off for a personal reason. I have just completed up until 1 quarter of my 2nd year. I know this might sound ambitious but I was playing around with the idea of starting to study for and taking boards by the end of the 1 year. I know theres still a lot of content that I have not learned as only a 2nd year student but I was planning on buying KMK optometry and using my physician husband as a resource as well as professors at my university as needed to answer questions.

Again, I do not know much about boards and am just playing around with the idea.

Is NBEO taken only in March or can I schedule to take it any time throughout the year? And does this sound even remotely doable for a pretty focused student and the time line I have available?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you clarify? You are in 1st quarter of 2nd year, but u want to take boards at end of first?

"Student candidates must be in the spring of their third academic year to take the Part I ABS exam."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah thank you so much for the reply!

Sorry so to clarify I will be doing the extended course at my school. I will take a majority of the 2nd year's classes this year. And then next year id just have 2-3 classes to take each quarter most of where are just P/F repeats of old courses I did fine on to apparently keep me "refreshed". So I was playing around with the idea of possibly using next year to study for Boards and take the exam as an entering Fall 3rd year student.

I think your school signs off/approves of you taking boards so you may want to ask them this (perhaps they will wait until the spring with the other third years).

Reactions: 1 user