NBEO part 1/2/3

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye.believe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Since NBEO no longer wants to show what's the raw score cut off for each part, would anyone who have passed any part mind sharing their results?

For part 1/2, you can include the percentage score for each bolded category. This will give us an idea on how well we should do in each category to pass.

For part 3, the raw score is given but not the cut off. Please provide raw score do that all of us can get an idea of what the lowest possible score to get to pass.

Now that NBEO is giving us limited information and there's limited attempts, we should all help each other out. This would be much appreciated.

I'm going to take part 1 in March!

Thanks everyone, we can do this!

Members don't see this ad.

Every test is different and every test is scored differently. Raw scores are dynamic

Six times is in line with other respected medical professions.

Lastly, I caution anyone sharing information in regards to the exam

During which year are each of these exams typically taken? Are these the only board exams required in Optometry school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
True, every exam (even the different forms in the same administration) is different so knowing the passing cut-off is a bit useless. Nevertheless, in the past, for parts 1/2 the raw scores cut-off ranges from 254-265 out of the 350 questions. Aim there. Also consider that they tend to throw out questions as well (usually 0-4 questions). Knowing the percentages in subcategories is completely irrelevant to passing.

Just study hard, do the best you can on the test, and don’t expect a walk in the park type of questions.

Last edited:
During which year are each of these exams typically taken? Are these the only board exams required in Optometry school? Thanks!
You are eligible to take boards in your third year of optometry school. You don’t have to take them in any particular order. Ideally, you take part 1 in March of your third year and part 2 in December. You can take part 3 any time.

Some schools require that you pass certain parts to graduate, but once you pass all three parts (and graduate), you are eligible to apply for state license to practice. Additional exams (eg state law exam) is dependent on which state you want to practice in.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know how helpful it would be to know the lowest possible score to pass Part 3, because it’s not a questions-based exam it’s a skills exam. Each component you complete successfully has a weighted score attached to it in each of the 4 stations and then they are averaged at the end. However, the exam is changing this upcoming cycle. Source: helped my partner pass part 3 as a practice patient this year.

You are eligible to take boards in your third year of optometry school. You don’t have to take them in any particular order. Ideally, you take part 1 in March of your third year and part 2 in December. You can take part 3 any time.

Some schools require that you pass certain parts to graduate, but once you pass all three parts (and graduate), you are eligible to apply for state license to practice. Additional exams (eg state law exam) is dependent on which state you want to practice in.

If I don't take Part 3 for a long time (e.g. 5-10 years) - would the scores for Part 1 & 2 still be valid and can I still apply for state licensure after passing all 3?
(Asking because I may practice in Canada after graduation, but don't know if I'll return to the states)

does anyone know or has anyone calculated how many questions for part 1 you can get wrong and still pass?