NBEO part 1 tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelle111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice from previous 3rd years or those who have passed NBEO part 1 would be much appreciated!

About how early did you start studying and what materials would you suggest to buy? I've heard many say KMK signature is worth it, but the cost seems rather high and I am leaning more towards the KMK plus and opto prep.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Most of my classmates started studying in January, though it was pretty leisurely up until about a month before the board exam. I got through the material twice before the exam, for reference.

Some classmates used Optoprep, some the KMK course, some both, and a few people just used old KMK books with nothing else.

I used Optoprep and KMK and I'll tell you what I liked first, then what other people did.

I had to look up what course I purchased, but it was KMK Plus. I feel like Signature is overkill, but I guess it all depends on how motivated you are to get through the material on your own.
KMK was GREAT for review. Every school goes through things differently, and it was nice for KMK to condense all that information in a way that made sense in the videos. There was a lot of repetition too, so I felt like having something to watch made it more engaging for me. Keep in mind that there's a LOT to go through - and the more you buy the more time you have to dedicate to studying with it! So if you do Signature, will you get through all the extra material? That's how I look at it.

Optoprep was good for questions, but if I were to do it again I might share instead of buying it on my own. Some of the questions are really random and stuff you've never heard of before, so for me it was a good way to not get too confident on KMK. I didn't end up going through all the questions in the end anyway, and that was even with sharing my account with a classmate the last two weeks.

Optoprep tests were really hard compared to the actual exam, and KMK tests were too easy. I liked having both to have a good reference of my weak points.

Some classmates shared KMK, which looking back wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I liked knowing what I personally had already gone through. Another benefit to buying the course is that you can go to the live lecture they will host at your school to kickstart your studying.

Let me know if you have any other questions, hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I studied for only 2 weeks. I was the only one who didn't use a cram course like KMK in my class. I thought it was easy just studying my class notes.

Opinions about the effectiveness of KMK were mixed from those I asked.: some lived and died by it; others said it wasn't necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think KMK Plus is sufficient for majority of students. But if you’re not a crammer and need guidelines on how to tackle the materials each day, do Signature. With Signature, you start studying in October for the March exam. The goal is to get you through the material 3 times. There are lots of videos (“boosters” and “crash course” videos), so you won’t be bored with all the reading.

I studied for only 2 weeks. I was the only one who didn't use a cram course like KMK in my class. I thought it was easy just studying my class notes.

Opinions about the effectiveness of KMK were mixed from those I asked.: some lived and died by it; others said it wasn't necessary.

I've heard mixed opinions too in terms of how to prep, but personally I need practice questions and don't trust myself solely on my notes! Props to you for doing it though!! I honestly wish I could because it would save me some money haha!

I personally think KMK Plus is sufficient for majority of students. But if you’re not a crammer and need guidelines on how to tackle the materials each day, do Signature. With Signature, you start studying in October for the March exam. The goal is to get you through the material 3 times. There are lots of videos (“boosters” and “crash course” videos), so you won’t be bored with all the reading.

Great! Thank you for the advice! I was leaning more towards that way!

Hi!

Most of my classmates started studying in January, though it was pretty leisurely up until about a month before the board exam. I got through the material twice before the exam, for reference.

Some classmates used Optoprep, some the KMK course, some both, and a few people just used old KMK books with nothing else.

I used Optoprep and KMK and I'll tell you what I liked first, then what other people did.

I had to look up what course I purchased, but it was KMK Plus. I feel like Signature is overkill, but I guess it all depends on how motivated you are to get through the material on your own.
KMK was GREAT for review. Every school goes through things differently, and it was nice for KMK to condense all that information in a way that made sense in the videos. There was a lot of repetition too, so I felt like having something to watch made it more engaging for me. Keep in mind that there's a LOT to go through - and the more you buy the more time you have to dedicate to studying with it! So if you do Signature, will you get through all the extra material? That's how I look at it.

Optoprep was good for questions, but if I were to do it again I might share instead of buying it on my own. Some of the questions are really random and stuff you've never heard of before, so for me it was a good way to not get too confident on KMK. I didn't end up going through all the questions in the end anyway, and that was even with sharing my account with a classmate the last two weeks.

Optoprep tests were really hard compared to the actual exam, and KMK tests were too easy. I liked having both to have a good reference of my weak points.

Some classmates shared KMK, which looking back wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I liked knowing what I personally had already gone through. Another benefit to buying the course is that you can go to the live lecture they will host at your school to kickstart your studying.

Let me know if you have any other questions, hope this helps!

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I appreciate the thought and advice you put out on this. I think I am leaning more towards KMK plus and opto prep. I have a ton of notes from those who took it so hopefully all this will be sufficient. When do you think would be "too early" to prep? I feel like my weakest area is definitely anatomy and I know having that as a strong core will make disease easier to answer.

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I appreciate the thought and advice you put out on this. I think I am leaning more towards KMK plus and opto prep. I have a ton of notes from those who took it so hopefully all this will be sufficient. When do you think would be "too early" to prep? I feel like my weakest area is definitely anatomy and I know having that as a strong core will make disease easier to answer.

No problem! I think too early is anytime before winter break. There's just so much material to go through that you forget a lot of it. In March I was still forgetting stuff I had gone over in January, even after looking at it more than once! That's just my personal opinion, but you can do whatever you're comfortable with. The good thing about anatomy is that it ties into so many other topics (like oc disease and oc physiology) that KMK repeats important concepts multiple times. If you have additional questions, feel free to DM me!