NBEO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catsomgcats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my 3rd year in Optometry. What are NBEO board exams like? I know there are 3 parts... What's the difference between them? Which part is the most difficult? What did you use to study? I've heard about KMK... is it worth it?

Also, are you able to share the course on 2 different computers?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I encourage you to visit: National Board of Examiners in Optometry® - NBEO®. The site will give you valuable information about each parts and hopefully answer your questions. Personally, Part 1 is the hardest (you can also see that on the statistics Exam Statistics - NBEO®). I used KMK and Optoprep for both Parts 1 and 2. Yes, it's worth it and It'll supplement your class notes. For NBEO Part 3, print the CSE forms found on Clinical Skills Examination - CSE<sup>®</sup> and just keep practicing for each 4 sections.

Also, speak personally to 4th year students at your school. They can give you some pointers and provide you their experiences. With that, they can probably answer any follow up questions you may have. Best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user
I am starting my 3rd year in Optometry. What are NBEO board exams like? I know there are 3 parts... What's the difference between them? Which part is the most difficult? What did you use to study? I've heard about KMK... is it worth it?

Optoprep is another good option.

Members don't see this ad :)

The National Board of Examiners in Optometry is the "bare minimum" clinical skills assessment test. It basically proves you are not a danger to the public because you possess the minimum competency to practice the profession. Some sections are known to be harder than others.

Part 1 involves comprehensive course understanding of optics, pathophysiology, pharmacology, anatomy, low vision, binocular vision, and more. You can be asked questions ranging from..."What is the spectacle magnification if given____," to "Which of the following is not consistent with a patient presenting with pre-eclampsia?"
Generally, the first-time pass rates for part 1 are lower than the rest of the boards, but you can check your school's pass rates on the ASCO website.

Part 2 involves clinical problem solving with disease states and contact lens indications. Generally, the pass rates on this section are higher than part 1, and questions may be worded like, "A patient presents with the following exam findings....What is the diagnosis? What is the treatment? What is the appropriate follow-up for this patient? What is a systemic condition that must be ruled out before proceeding with ____?"
Generally, reading Wills Eye Manual and Kanski can help with preparing for this section; your extern rotations also prepare you well.

Part 3 includes clinical skill sets: gonio, blood pressure, dilated fundus exam, slit lamp skills, lensometry, RGP insertion/removal/evaluation, etc.

KMK and Optoprep are two good tools to utilize for parts 1 and 2, but they are NOT a substitute for your notes, your school's education, or your clinical knowledge. Many students assume if they complete these programs, they are guaranteed to pass, but these are only supplements to the knowledge you already possess. They are a great summary or jumping off point to prepare.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know or has anyone calculated how many questions for part 1 you can get wrong and still pass?

Raw scores vary per the form of the test given....your question is unanswerable

here's a video on some study tips for NBEO part 1