USMLE NBME 18 - Questions and Answers - Discussions & Explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAberrantGene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NBME 18 has been released and is available on regular and extended feedback.
I will be taking it fairly soon as my exam is around the corner.
Let's continue the great trend on this forum and start a discussion once people start taking it,

Best of luck fellas ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
@usmle2016

1. Pre/postcentral gyrus - motor/sensory cortex (medial---> leg, foot) = A
2. Definitely Kaposi sarcoma so antineoplastic. As far as differentiating them there was no mention of a cat scratch = D
4. Smoker, peripheral edema/congested liver (RHF), distant heart sounds ---> cor pulmonale = C

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
B, B, & B... when all else fails I guess choose B.
haha ill remember that for the nxt time.
Could you elaborate on angiodysplasia ?
and i thought the intermittent cramping abd pain with loose stools was carcinoid. i guess not . is it irritable bowel syndrome ?

B, B, & B... when all else fails I guess choose B.
haha ill remember that for the next time.
could you elaborate on angiodysplasia ?
and the intermittent lower abd pain with loose stools. thought that was carcinoid. guess not. irritable bowel syndrome then ?

Members don't see this ad :)
haha ill remember that for the next time.
could you elaborate on angiodysplasia ?
and the intermittent lower abd pain with loose stools. thought that was carcinoid. guess not. irritable bowel syndrome then ?

Soooo I will be honest the angiodysplasia one I only got right because of process of elimination since all the others would have an abnormal result from the colonoscopy (or at least you'd be able to visualize something from those choices.) If anyone else cares to chime in with this one and help, please do. That's honestly the first time I've ever seen angiodysplasia or if I learned it at some point it is gone...I'm gonna blame med school induced amnesia.

As for the loose stools one, it's IBS. Big clue for me at least was relief with defecation. Treatment for IBS is loperamide.

Soooo I will be honest the angiodysplasia one I only got right because of process of elimination since all the others would have an abnormal result from the colonoscopy (or at least you'd be able to visualize something from those choices.) If anyone else cares to chime in with this one and help, please do. That's honestly the first time I've ever seen angiodysplasia or if I learned it at some point it is gone...I'm gonna blame med school induced amnesia.

As for the loose stools one, it's IBS. Big clue for me at least was relief with defecation. Treatment for IBS is loperamide.
thank you ! youre right , there's not much given about angidysplasia in FA.

A 58-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 4-year history of recurrent cough productive of increased sputum. Use of over-the-counter cough suppressants has not resolved his symptoms. He has smoked 2 packs of cigarettes daily for 35 years. He has no family history of lung disease. His temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 72/min, and respirations are 18/min. Physical examination shows cyanosis. Diffuse wheezing is heard on auscultation. Which of the following pulmonary cell types is most likely to be abnormal in this patient?
A
) Alveolar endothelial cells
B
) Alveolar macrophages(wrong)
C
) Pseudostratified columnar epithelial cells
D
) Type I pneumocytes
E
) Type II pneumocytes
this one is copd right ?? i dont get it. is it c due to squamous metaplasia ?

A 28-year-old woman comes to the physician because of a 4-day history of palpitations, severe neck pain, fatigue, and malaise. Her pulse is 120/min and regular. Physical examination shows a diffusely tender, mildly enlarged thyroid gland. There is no exophthalmos. Serum studies show a thyroid-stimulating hormone concentration of0.01 μU/mL. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A
) Factitious thyrotoxicosis
B
) Graves disease
C
) Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis
D
) Thyroid abscess
E
) Toxic multinodular goiter(wrong)

i completely overlooked the severe neck pain.:((( so it is subacute thyroidits ?

Please help, thanks in advance guys!

3.Give lovastatin, this treatment would result in which adaptive responses at cellular level?
A decreased hepatic expression of LDL-cholesterol receptors
B decreased transcription of HMG-CoA reductase(incorrect)
C increased mevalonic acid degradation
D increased mevalonic acid synthesis
E increased transcription of HMG-CoA reductase

t!

can someone elaborate on this plz? @AnxietyAnnie @TheNsg300 @breadlover72

can someone elaborate on this plz? @AnxietyAnnie @TheNsg300 @breadlover72

i marked B as well. this is what i found on wiki

Transcription of the reductase gene is enhanced by the sterol regulatory element binding protein (SREBP). This protein binds to the sterol regulatory element (SRE), located on the 5' end of the reductase gene. When SREBP is inactive, it is bound to the ER or nuclear membrane with another protein called SREBP cleavage-activating protein (SCAP). When cholesterol levels fall, SREBP is released from the membrane by proteolysis and migrates to the nucleus, where it binds to the SRE and transcription is enhanced. If cholesterol levels rise, proteolytic cleavage of SREBP from the membrane ceases and any proteins in the nucleus are quickly degraded.

i marked B as well. this is what i found on wiki

Transcription of the reductase gene is enhanced by the sterol regulatory element binding protein (SREBP). This protein binds to the sterol regulatory element (SRE), located on the 5' end of the reductase gene. When SREBP is inactive, it is bound to the ER or nuclear membrane with another protein called SREBP cleavage-activating protein (SCAP). When cholesterol levels fall, SREBP is released from the membrane by proteolysis and migrates to the nucleus, where it binds to the SRE and transcription is enhanced. If cholesterol levels rise, proteolytic cleavage of SREBP from the membrane ceases and any proteins in the nucleus are quickly degraded.
Simply put, statins inhibit HMG CoA reductase leading to decrease in cholesterol, the cell will sense it which will lead to cell signaling to increase the transcription and formation of HMG CoA reductase.

kind of like how metyrapone test works. @vulnificus

thank you ! youre right , there's not much given about angidysplasia in FA.

A 58-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 4-year history of recurrent cough productive of increased sputum. Use of over-the-counter cough suppressants has not resolved his symptoms. He has smoked 2 packs of cigarettes daily for 35 years. He has no family history of lung disease. His temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 72/min, and respirations are 18/min. Physical examination shows cyanosis. Diffuse wheezing is heard on auscultation. Which of the following pulmonary cell types is most likely to be abnormal in this patient?
A
) Alveolar endothelial cells
B
) Alveolar macrophages(wrong)
C
) Pseudostratified columnar epithelial cells
D
) Type I pneumocytes
E
) Type II pneumocytes
this one is copd right ?? i dont get it. is it c due to squamous metaplasia ?

A 28-year-old woman comes to the physician because of a 4-day history of palpitations, severe neck pain, fatigue, and malaise. Her pulse is 120/min and regular. Physical examination shows a diffusely tender, mildly enlarged thyroid gland. There is no exophthalmos. Serum studies show a thyroid-stimulating hormone concentration of0.01 μU/mL. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A
) Factitious thyrotoxicosis
B
) Graves disease
C
) Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis
D
) Thyroid abscess
E
) Toxic multinodular goiter(wrong)

i completely overlooked the severe neck pain.:((( so it is subacute thyroidits ?

1. C because you damaged the cilia from smoking
2. I got the question wrong so I'm not 100% but it might be Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis: painful thyroid, and it can present as hyperthyroidism initially

Last edited:
I am in the same exact situation as you:

NBME17: 249 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 18: 245 (today)
I got very upset coz i did most of kaplan qbank in those 2 weeks, also did a lot of UW incorrect Qs, it's very frustrating.
Is it just me or nbme 18 is a lot harder than 17?
any recommendations for the next 10 days?
i gave nbme 18 today.. soo disappointed.. too many ethics questions.. i did better in previous nbmes dn ds..

can someone help me wid dse quests... wats d ans for doctor fantasies question.. patient says that she has fantasies on him..
statin question.. effect f lovastatin at cellular level..
cholera toxin .. effect f gtpase..

can someone help me wid dse quests... wats d ans for doctor fantasies question.. patient says that she has fantasies on him..
statin question.. effect f lovastatin at cellular level..
cholera toxin .. effect f gtpase..
@cachexia Don't worry, buddy. We all dropped scores in 18 but it is not the real exam so we still have room to improve.

For the ethics q, our "initial" step would be calling in a chaperone.
The statin has been discussed just a few posts above.
And whichever option had something to do with increased cAMP, was the correct answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The meta-analysis regarding chron's disease, what was the answer?

Also can someone explain the difference between community intervention trial and randomized clinical trial..

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
An investigator conducts a meta-analysis of three genome-wide association studies of Chron Disease. The studies encompassed 3200 cases and 4800 controls, all of European descent. The initial studies identified 11 significant loci with odds ratios above 1.3 and 1.5; the combined meta-analysis identified an additional 21 loci with odd ratio of 1.1 to 1.3. It is estimated that the 32 loci identified explain about 10% of the variance in disease risk with 2 loci accounting for 2% of the variance. Previous studies of twins indicated a 50% heretability rate for Chron's disease. Which of the following best explains these results?
A. analysis of 1000 cases or less are as informative as meta-analysis
B. The identified loci account for a relatively small part of the variance
C. The majority of contributing loci have been identified
D. Majority of loci have major effects on disease appearance
E. Two loci provide evidence for autosomal dominant inheritance of Chron D

An investigator conducts a meta-analysis of three genome-wide association studies of Chron Disease. The studies encompassed 3200 cases and 4800 controls, all of European descent. The initial studies identified 11 significant loci with odds ratios above 1.3 and 1.5; the combined meta-analysis identified an additional 21 loci with odd ratio of 1.1 to 1.3. It is estimated that the 32 loci identified explain about 10% of the variance in disease risk with 2 loci accounting for 2% of the variance. Previous studies of twins indicated a 50% heretability rate for Chron's disease. Which of the following best explains these results?
Oh thanks for bringing this up. I chose B. It kind of seemed reasonable but honestly, I have no knowledge base regarding why.

Oh thanks for bringing this up. I chose B. It kind of seemed reasonable but honestly, I have no knowledge base regarding why.

Oh, thanks. I was between B and C and went with C for some odd reason...

Would you happen to know if the patient with the seizure was medically qualified to drive, I thought that for the safety of society they weren't allowed to drive at all

Simply put, statins inhibit HMG CoA reductase leading to decrease in cholesterol, the cell will sense it which will lead to cell signaling to increase the transcription and formation of HMG CoA reductase.

kind of like how metyrapone test works. @vulnificus

Can you correct me if I am wrong but I thought that statins upregulate the LDL receptor, which would bring LDL and therefore cholesterol into the cell and have a further negative feedback on HMG CoA reductase

Can you correct me if I am wrong but I thought that statins upregulate the LDL receptor, which would bring LDL and therefore cholesterol into the cell and have a further negative feedback on HMG CoA reductase
Statins primary action is on the HMG-CoA reductase(inhibition) which will lead to decrease in de liver cholesterol.

The increase LDL receptor expression is the RESULT(not the primary action of statins) of that decrease cholesterol . Similarly, to fulfill its cholesterol requirements, liver will also increase transcription of hmgCoA reductase.

A 20-year-old woman at 27 weeks' gestation is admitted to the hospital because of a 12-hour history of intense uterine contractions occurring every 8 minutes. Her membranes ruptured 32 hours ago. Her temperature is 39.1°C(102.4°F), and pulse is 115/min. Physical examination shows tenderness of the uterus. Pelvic examination shows a closed cervix that is not effaced. The fetal heart rate is 210/min. Which of the following is the primary stimulus for her uterine muscle contractions?
A
) Decreased myometrial intracellular calcium
B
) Direct response to maternal hyperthermia
C
) Inflamed maternal decidua release of prostaglandin
D
) Maternal adrenocorticosteroid release
E
) Stressed fetal production and release of oxytocin

A new antiplatelet agent is developed for the prevention of recurrence of stroke. In a large randomized clinical trial with equal numbers of men and women, the rates of stroke are lower in patients receiving the new agent than in patients receiving the standard treatment. Results are shown:
Recurrent Stroke Rates per 1000 Person-Years
Standard Treatment New Antiplatelet Drug
Women .12 .04
Men .24 .08
Overall .18 .06

Based on these results, which of the following is the relative risk reduction in women?
A
) 8%
B
) 12%
C
) 16%
D
) 33%
E
) 50%
F
) 62%
G
) 67%
H
) 75%

A 20-year-old woman at 27 weeks' gestation is admitted to the hospital because of a 12-hour history of intense uterine contractions occurring every 8 minutes. Her membranes ruptured 32 hours ago. Her temperature is 39.1°C(102.4°F), and pulse is 115/min. Physical examination shows tenderness of the uterus. Pelvic examination shows a closed cervix that is not effaced. The fetal heart rate is 210/min. Which of the following is the primary stimulus for her uterine muscle contractions?
A
) Decreased myometrial intracellular calcium
B
) Direct response to maternal hyperthermia
C
) Inflamed maternal decidua release of prostaglandin
D
) Maternal adrenocorticosteroid release
E
) Stressed fetal production and release of oxytocin

A new antiplatelet agent is developed for the prevention of recurrence of stroke. In a large randomized clinical trial with equal numbers of men and women, the rates of stroke are lower in patients receiving the new agent than in patients receiving the standard treatment. Results are shown:
Recurrent Stroke Rates per 1000 Person-Years
Standard Treatment New Antiplatelet Drug
Women .12 .04
Men .24 .08
Overall .18 .06

Based on these results, which of the following is the relative risk reduction in women?
A
) 8%
B
) 12%
C
) 16%
D
) 33%
E
) 50%
F
) 62%
G
) 67%
H
) 75%
C and G respectively

Oh, thanks. I was between B and C and went with C for some odd reason...

Would you happen to know if the patient with the seizure was medically qualified to drive, I thought that for the safety of society they weren't allowed to drive at all

I had to look it up. Since his time frame was 5 years since the last seizure and he was well controlled on meds I went with he could drive. Apparently it varies by state. I believe for the most part what I read stated 6 to 12 months seizure free on meds. This was such a random one not covered anywhere in review books of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys. i am new to this website. I did nbme 18 and scored only 228. i would like if someone could answer and explain this question
A 34-year old man is brought to the ER semiconscious and combative. In addition to sedation , a short-acting neuromuscular blocking agent is administered for intubation to prevent aspiration. Within a few seconds after admin of the drug, he has transient muscle fasciculations in his face ; he develops generalized paralysis within 1 minute. Forty five minutes after completion of the procedure , he is still paralyzed. A genetic abnormality of which of the following enzymes is the most likely cause of his unusually slow recovery from paralysis?
A). ACE
B). Choline O acetyltransferase (wrong)
C). MAO
D). Phenylethanolamine N methyltranferase
E). Pseudocholinesterase
F). Tyrosine hydroxylase

I know that this patient was given non depolarizing drug. am i right?

Hi guys. i am new to this website. I did nbme 18 and scored only 228. i would like if someone could answer and explain this question
A 34-year old man is brought to the ER semiconscious and combative. In addition to sedation , a short-acting neuromuscular blocking agent is administered for intubation to prevent aspiration. Within a few seconds after admin of the drug, he has transient muscle fasciculations in his face ; he develops generalized paralysis within 1 minute. Forty five minutes after completion of the procedure , he is still paralyzed. A genetic abnormality of which of the following enzymes is the most likely cause of his unusually slow recovery from paralysis?
A). ACE
C). MAO
E). Pseudocholinesterase
F). Tyrosine hydroxylase

Yup, succinylcholine. I got this wrong but made sure to find out why. Apparently in pseudocholinesterase deficiency you have prolonged paralysis when given something like succinylcholine. I could only officially find a 1 liner in Becker pharm that states under succinylcholine to not give in cholinesterase deficiency because they will have prolonged paralysis. I'm guessing because it's not degraded as quickly when they are deficient therefore prolonging the drugs effects. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong or add to this.

A). ACE
C). MAO
E). Pseudocholinesterase
F). Tyrosine hydroxylase

E. Succinylcholine (depolarizing blocker- I think the fasciculation in the face was supposed to give this away) is used for intubations because it is short acting. He has a genetic problem that is making the effect last longer than it should, which is in the activity of the pseudocholinesterase/

Yup, succinylcholine. I got this wrong but made sure to find out why. Apparently in pseudocholinesterase deficiency you have prolonged paralysis when given something like succinylcholine. I could only officially find a 1 liner in Becker pharm that states under succinylcholine to not give in cholinesterase deficiency because they will have prolonged paralysis. I'm guessing because it's not degraded as quickly when they are deficient therefore prolonging the drugs effects. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong or add to this.
ooo. my entire thinking was wrong. i though that it was tubocurarine or something .

25. A 16-year-old girl calls the physician on a Friday night 2 hours after a condom broke during sexual intercourse with her boyfriend. She asks the physician to prescribe an emergency oral contraceptive. The physician on call is not the patient's regular physician and does not dispense emergency contraception for moral reasons. After the physician respectfully informs the patient that he does not prescribe this contraceptive, it is most appropriate for the physician to state which of the following?
A
) "I am obligated to discuss this with your parents."
B
) "I can have one of my colleagues call you back to further discuss your concerns."
C
) "I recommend that you call the local women's health clinic."
D
) "I will tell your regular physician to call you on Monday to talk with you about your situation."
E
) "I'm sorry, but you will have to research other ways to obtain the prescription yourself."
Can someone explain why C is wrong... Aren't you supposed to refer them elsewhere?

35. A 66-year-old woman is brought to the emergency department by her daughter because of a 2-day history of fever, flank pain, pain with urination, and nausea. Ten days ago, she was admitted to the hospital for similar symptoms and was diagnosed with acute pyelonephritis. She was discharged with instructions to take oral ciprofloxacin after a 3-day course of intravenous ciprofloxacin resulted in improvement. She also has hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and osteoporosis. Current medications also include alendronate, calcium carbonate, ezetimibe, hydrochlorothiazide, and simvastatin. Her temperature is 39.1°C (102.4°F), and blood pressure is130/80 mm Hg. The most likely cause of this patient’s current condition is an interaction between her current oral antibiotic and which of the following medications?
A
) Alendronate
B
) Calcium carbonate
C
) Ezetimibe
D
) Hydrochlorothiazide
E
) Simvastatin

44. A 19-year-old woman is admitted to the hospital for antibiotic treatment of meningococcal meningitis. She is stabilized. Three days later, her pulse is 120/min, and blood pressure is 60/30 mm Hg. Physical examination shows bilateral flank tenderness. Serum studies show a sodium concentration of128 mEq/L, potassium of 5.4 mEq/L, and bicarbonate of 20 mEq/L. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step to determine the cause of this patient's hypotension?
A
) Adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation test
B
) Blood culture and antibiotic sensitivity test
C
) Dexamethasone suppression test
D
) Thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation test
E
) Urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity test

17. A study is conducted to compare the incidence of myocardial infarction in patients undergoing two different types of angioplasty or an operative procedure to manage single-vessel coronary artery disease. A total of 1000 patients are enrolled. Through a chance process, 500 are assigned to undergo the operative procedure, 250 are assigned to undergo one type of angioplasty, and 250 are assigned to undergo a second type of angioplasty. All patients are followed for 3 years to determine the incidence of myocardial infarction. Which of the following best describes this study design?
A
) Case-control study
B
) Community intervention trial
C
) Ecological study
D
) Historical cohort study
E
) Prospective cohort study
F
) Randomized clinical trial

@AnxietyAnnie @vulnificus

Last edited:

this is how i thought of it, simply put:
a- the meta-analysis concluded that the if a person has a mutation in one of those 32 loci (aka positions within the genome), then that person's risk of acquiring crohn's increases by 10%
b- a heritability rate of 50% basically means that if one twin has crohn's, then his other twin has a 50% chance of developing crohns as well, which means the genetic aspect of crohn's is much stronger than the 10% that the meta-analysis suggested

from "a" and "b", we can assume that the study only discovered 10% of the genes whereas the genetic factor is actually closer to 50%, therefore, "the identified loci account for a small part of the variance" = the genes that this study was able to identify are only a small fraction of the complete genes that cause crohn's aka those researchers need to stop procrastinating and do a better job.
it's more of a word game than an actual medical question
@DarkKnight3 @AnxietyAnnie @breadlover72

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

you're absolutely right. this was covered in UW i believe. the duration of action of Succ. chol. depends on activity of plasma cholinesterase; if a patient is homozygous for "atypical" cholinesterase, their paralysis can last for hours.
that being said, i got this question wrong and chose choline acetyl transferase hahahaha

you're absolutely right. this was covered in UW i believe. the duration of action of Succ. chol. depends on activity of plasma cholinesterase; if a patient is homozygous for "atypical" cholinesterase, their paralysis can last for hours.
that being said, i got this question wrong and chose choline acetyl transferase hahahaha

I think we ALL chose the same thing if we got it wrong, haha. I haven't come across it in uworld yet...have 500 q left so I must be getting close. Thank you for the explanation.

Last edited:
25. A 16-year-old girl calls the physician on a Friday night 2 hours after a condom broke during sexual intercourse with her boyfriend. She asks the physician to prescribe an emergency oral contraceptive. The physician on call is not the patient's regular physician and does not dispense emergency contraception for moral reasons. After the physician respectfully informs the patient that he does not prescribe this contraceptive, it is most appropriate for the physician to state which of the following?
A
) "I am obligated to discuss this with your parents."
B
) "I can have one of my colleagues call you back to further discuss your concerns."
C
) "I recommend that you call the local women's health clinic."
D
) "I will tell your regular physician to call you on Monday to talk with you about your situation."
E
) "I'm sorry, but you will have to research other ways to obtain the prescription yourself."
Can someone explain why C is wrong... Aren't you supposed to refer them elsewhere?

35. A 66-year-old woman is brought to the emergency department by her daughter because of a 2-day history of fever, flank pain, pain with urination, and nausea. Ten days ago, she was admitted to the hospital for similar symptoms and was diagnosed with acute pyelonephritis. She was discharged with instructions to take oral ciprofloxacin after a 3-day course of intravenous ciprofloxacin resulted in improvement. She also has hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and osteoporosis. Current medications also include alendronate, calcium carbonate, ezetimibe, hydrochlorothiazide, and simvastatin. Her temperature is 39.1°C (102.4°F), and blood pressure is130/80 mm Hg. The most likely cause of this patient’s current condition is an interaction between her current oral antibiotic and which of the following medications?
A
) Alendronate
B
) Calcium carbonate
C
) Ezetimibe
D
) Hydrochlorothiazide
E
) Simvastatin

44. A 19-year-old woman is admitted to the hospital for antibiotic treatment of meningococcal meningitis. She is stabilized. Three days later, her pulse is 120/min, and blood pressure is 60/30 mm Hg. Physical examination shows bilateral flank tenderness. Serum studies show a sodium concentration of128 mEq/L, potassium of 5.4 mEq/L, and bicarbonate of 20 mEq/L. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step to determine the cause of this patient's hypotension?
A
) Adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation test
B
) Blood culture and antibiotic sensitivity test
C
) Dexamethasone suppression test
D
) Thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation test
E
) Urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity test

17. A study is conducted to compare the incidence of myocardial infarction in patients undergoing two different types of angioplasty or an operative procedure to manage single-vessel coronary artery disease. A total of 1000 patients are enrolled. Through a chance process, 500 are assigned to undergo the operative procedure, 250 are assigned to undergo one type of angioplasty, and 250 are assigned to undergo a second type of angioplasty. All patients are followed for 3 years to determine the incidence of myocardial infarction. Which of the following best describes this study design?
A
) Case-control study
B
) Community intervention trial
C
) Ecological study
D
) Historical cohort study
E
) Prospective cohort study
F
) Randomized clinical trial

@AnxietyAnnie @vulnificus

I think the third one is waterhouse friderichsen syndrome and the best way to test for hypotension is A.
Any help would be appreciated.

B"I can have one of my colleagues call you back to further discuss your concerns."
B-Calcium carbonate (I think this is the correct answer, I got the q wrong)
A-Adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation test
F- Randomized clinical trial

@DarkKnight3

a 65 year old woman comes to the physician because of 1 week history of a swollen painful left knee . her temp is 38C and BP is 110/65. synovial fluid has
A hydroxyapatite
B lymphocytes ?
C N gonorrhoeae
D T pallidum
E Uric acid

is it B?

Attachments

• 42 (2).jpg
    42 (2).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 153
@cachexia Don't worry, buddy. We all dropped scores in 18 but it is not the real exam so we still have room to improve.

For the ethics q, our "initial" step would be calling in a chaperone.
The statin has been discussed just a few posts above.
And whichever option had something to do with increased cAMP, was the correct answer.
@AnxietyAnnie thanq so much

B"I can have one of my colleagues call you back to further discuss your concerns."
B-Calcium carbonate (I think this is the correct answer, I got the q wrong)
A-Adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation test
F- Randomized clinical trial

@DarkKnight3

How would you distinguish between RCT and prospective control study?

can sumone explain how to do that calculation part for calorie intake question.. they only gave intake of protein ..but carbohydrate intake s not given.. how to find out fat intake??
wats d answer for biostat quest.. probability of hospital infection in d patient.. s it 6 in 100??
wats d ans for melanoma question.. prognosis is bad if it invaded which layer f skin??

RCT would involve any drug/medical/surgical intervention for a particular disease where as prospective cohort will follow a risk factor in time to find a disease association(or not).
My logic.

@DarkKnight3

Reactions: 2 users
can sumone explain how to do that calculation part for calorie intake question.. they only gave intake of protein ..but carbohydrate intake s not given.. how to find out fat intake??
wats d answer for biostat quest.. probability of hospital infection in d patient.. s it 6 in 100??
wats d ans for melanoma question.. prognosis is bad if it invaded which layer f skin??

For the carbs question, I think you use the ratio they gave so fat would be 30/(30+55) which is around 35%. Then you subtract the protein from 2000 (2000-224 = 1776). 35% of 1776 is around answer D... thats my logic, but I chose C when i took it and got it wrong.

Biostats: 6/1000

Melanoma: the deeper it invades, the worse the prognosis... answer was subcutaneous tissue

I had the first 2 wrong
For the first one, you had to multiply protein grams with 4 and subtract it from 2000(calories allowed/day). They gave a fat/carb ratio of 30:55. So for the fat calories, you had to multiply the left over calories with 33/(30+55) or 33/85.

2q- 6/1000

3q- Sub cutaneous tissue

here comes another one.
an otherwise healthy 18 year old man comes to the physician because of cracked lips and peeling sunburned skin ..... application of petrolatum to his lips may aid in reducing lip symptoms by which of the following effects of the compound?
A. anti inflammatory
B. antimetabolic
C. Barrier
D. Keratolytic
E. UV light blocker. (wrong)

here comes another one.
an otherwise healthy 18 year old man comes to the physician because of cracked lips and peeling sunburned skin ..... application of petrolatum to his lips may aid in reducing lip symptoms by which of the following effects of the compound?
A. anti inflammatory
B. antimetabolic
C. Barrier
D. Keratolytic

C. Barrier

here comes another one.
A. anti inflammatory
B. antimetabolic
C. Barrier
D. Keratolytic

C Barrier
We did a science experiment back in 5th grade where we covered leaves of plants with Vaseline to demonstrate how this would lessen the water loss from their surface.

Reactions: 3 users
C Barrier
We did a science experiment back in 5th grade where we covered leaves of plants with Vaseline to demonstrate how this would lessen the water loss from their surface.
i was almost always sleeping in 5th grade.lol what the hell am i thinking while doing these nbmes and my exam is in exactly 1 week. what am i gonna do?