NBME 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ma Deuce

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NBME 19 just came out, and I am slated to take my exam Monday. Should I say screw it and not take it since I was giving my test monday anyhow?

Members don't see this ad.

NBME 19 just came out, and I am slated to take my exam Monday. Should I say screw it and not take it since I was giving my test monday anyhow?
What's your NBME average so far?
If you have the time, why not take it in the case you see similar questions on the real deal?

I am taking the test Wednesday and don't think I'm gonna take it. The answers won't be online and I think it'll only stress me out. but I'm very tempted.

Reactions: 1 user
I am taking the test Wednesday and don't think I'm gonna take it. The answers won't be online and I think it'll only stress me out. but I'm very tempted.

My test is in 2 weeks and I decided not to take it.
It's been a while since my last NBME and it wasn't all that good (220, 232, 220) and I was actually hoping for a new one to come out since I have used all the previous ones but I know I will freak out if anything goes wrong. I've been studying for way too long and I just need to take it.
It's a tough decision to make though. If I were you, I would skip it. Your test is in a few days, I bet you're very well prepared so just go and kill it :)
Oh, and share your experiences afterwards :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I felt the curve was a bit steep. I took NBME 18 on Feb 28, one week before I gave my exam. And yes, I still took it. When did you take 18??

When did you take NBME18?
Cause I took it in Sept and got 75% and 220... Did they change the curve?
I guess they weigh each question individually? I'm not sure why there would be a discrepancy otherwise, unless you took 18 a decent amount of time before I did.

Yes... I took it a few months before you. Weird. Maybe they do weigh questions individually or they changed something... they did change a bit in a score reporting so maybe it's related. Wow, then it means I got less than 220? Haha.

Honestly, it would be really weird for them to do it without any warning. Like hey, people we are changing the curve, so the old scores might not apply anymore.

Anyway, how was the exam?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! I have the exam Thursday (next). I got the same score, too (81%, 211). Let's hope for the best!

I was supposed to take my exam on Thursday and while I WAS DOING IT the system shut down and I was forced to reschedule. I'm waiting for NBME to send me a new permit now... No comment.

Btw, I really think that the curve is a joke. 85% - 211? cmon.
You will score way higher on a real deal.

Did you do other NBMEs?

I was supposed to take my exam on Thursday and while I WAS DOING IT the system shut down and I was forced to reschedule. I'm waiting for NBME to send me a new permit now... No comment.

Did you do other NBMEs?
WHAT??? That's ridiculous, I'm so sorry! I hope that didn't mess up your plans too much! SMH ;(
I did, but that was about 2-3w ago, and tbh I didn't really go through first aid in its entirety and part of it was knowledge and fear induced stress + didn't finish uworld (lol still working on that).
but yeah, the last two was 16 and 18, and it was 197 and 194 respectively. I don't really factor them bc tbh info wise I didn't feel confident AT ALL/ lots of sketchys i didn't do, etc especially drugs and pathoma going through one ear and out the other. but my uworlds have been in the 70s since then (compared to the 50w-60s from when I did 16 and 18), so hoping my score is at least 215+, though 230 is my goal ^^

WHAT??? That's ridiculous, I'm so sorry! I hope that didn't mess up your plans too much! SMH ;(
I did, but that was about 2-3w ago, and tbh I didn't really go through first aid in its entirety and part of it was knowledge and fear induced stress + didn't finish uworld (lol still working on that).
but yeah, the last two was 16 and 18, and it was 197 and 194 respectively. I don't really factor them bc tbh info wise I didn't feel confident AT ALL/ lots of sketchys i didn't do, etc especially drugs and pathoma going through one ear and out the other. but my uworlds have been in the 70s since then (compared to the 50w-60s from when I did 16 and 18), so hoping my score is at least 215+, though 230 is my goal ^^

Oh, I'm sure you have improved since then by a lot!!!
I bet you're gonna get at least 230. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Yeah, it's an awful situation. I do have lots of plans and honestly, it messes it up a lot. There is nothing I can do, though.

I will try to schedule it as soon as I get the new permit...

Let us know what's up after the exam :)

I bet you're gonna get at least 230. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Yeah, it's an awful situation. I do have lots of plans and honestly, it messes it up a lot. There is nothing I can do, though.

Ahh, thanks so much, I appreciate it. I hope everything works out for you + will do!

Did you do other NBMEs?
Guys, I am feeling ******ed after seeing this score, what should i do. kindly opine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, I am feeling ******ed after seeing this score, what should i do. kindly opine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, i wouldn't stress too much over it.19 from what I've seen is harder than 18, and the curve is more skewed than the others. Just work on finishing uworld, and try 17or whichever one you haven'tdone. They might adjust the curve, but idk we'll see. Idk when your exam is, but don't stress out if you have more than 3w left. Even so, if you do okay or better that's great, but don't get upset or freakout if it's lower than what you hoped on 19, BC atm, there no data on 19 for the predictivenes of the scores to step one. As someone who learned what real stress is when i started studying for this, cheer up! It'll be okay

Sent from my Moto G Play using SDN mobile

Hey, i wouldn't stress too much over it.19 from what I've seen is harder than 18, and the curve is more skewed than the others. Just work on finishing uworld, and try 17or whichever one you haven'tdone. They might adjust the curve, but idk we'll see. Idk when your exam is, but don't stress out if you have more than 3w left. Even so, if you do okay or better that's great, but don't get upset or freakout if it's lower than what you hoped on 19, BC atm, there no data on 19 for the predictivenes of the scores to step one. As someone who learned what real stress is when i started studying for this, cheer up! It'll be okay

Thanks!!!!
I guess, I'll let it pass!

Post step 1 thoughts: wth. Like what the actual heck. Why do i feel like half that exam was full of experimental questions?
Now I'm depressed and just praying i passed

Post step 1 thoughts: wth. Like what the actual heck. Why do i feel like half that exam was full of experimental questions?
Now I'm depressed and just praying i passed

Hey! You took it today?! Congrats on finishing!!! Just relax, an 8 hour exam is not easy at all so it's natural for you to feel the way you do. How was it though, anything like NBMEs/Uworld?

Hey! You took it today?! Congrats on finishing!!! Just relax, an 8 hour exam is not easy at all so it's natural for you to feel the way you do. How was it though, anything like NBMEs/Uworld?
Not really, as least to me... It was like 25% nbme w/in a block but everything else just felt vague to me and i didn't know if i put the right answer. A few question stems were similar to the nbme/practice questions, but the answer choices were not what you expect for them to list. Also after the 4th block, I ran out of time on the last 3 which made me upset BC I spent too long on one of the questions and that took up my time-i normally never have that problem- so i had to guess on a few or quickly read thru the question stem and answer the question. Praying I passed, I don't wanna retake this. But like people said, i think it's more of a thinking test. Facts alone won't be enough...Part of it can't be studied sadly. :( Luckily i have a few weeks before rotations so I'm just going to repress (sorry suppress) and not think about the exam.

Last edited:
Not really, as least to me... It was like 25% nbme w/in a block but everything else just felt vague to me and i didn't know if i put the right answer. A few question stems were similar to the nbme/practice questions, but the answer choices were not what you expect for them to list. Also after the 4th block, I ran out of time on the last 3 which made me upset BC I spent too long on one of the questions and that took up my time-i normally never have that problem- so i had to guess on a few or quickly read thru the question stem and answer the question. Praying I passed, I don't wanna retake this. But like people said, i think it's more of a thinking test. Facts alone won't be enough...Part of it can't be studied sadly. :( Luckily i have a few weeks before rotations so I'm just repress and not think about the exam.

Thanks for replying. If our exam is similar I bet I will feel the same on Monday although I'm trying to stay positive and not think about that.
You are done, that's the most important so do something you enjoy and relax. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Luckily i have a few weeks before rotations so I'm just going to suppress and not think about the exam.

FTFY. ;)

Also, I felt the same way as you did. Still waiting on score, but things begin to feel a bit more optimistic as time goes on.

FTFY. ;)

Also, I felt the same way as you did. Still waiting on score, but things begin to feel a bit more optimistic as time goes on.
Lol you're right- I'm not in the right mind as you can see; psychiatry is already going out the other ear. Yeah, hopefully it all goes okay for us

Not really, as least to me... It was like 25% nbme w/in a block but everything else just felt vague to me and i didn't know if i put the right answer. A few question stems were similar to the nbme/practice questions, but the answer choices were not what you expect for them to list. Also after the 4th block, I ran out of time on the last 3 which made me upset BC I spent too long on one of the questions and that took up my time-i normally never have that problem- so i had to guess on a few or quickly read thru the question stem and answer the question. Praying I passed, I don't wanna retake this. But like people said, i think it's more of a thinking test. Facts alone won't be enough...Part of it can't be studied sadly. :( Luckily i have a few weeks before rotations so I'm just going to repress (sorry suppress) and not think about the exam.

I had the same exact feeling today. The test was vague and I feel like they weren't testing knowledge but they were testing more of "can you get the right answer using what you know that will KINDA help you get the answer?". I mean there were a good amount of gimmes, and straight recall, good amount of 2nd orders. But just so many felt vague and I ran out of time in the last 4 blocks. I felt like I was rushing in every block. I don't know how I did and I'm trying not to think about it but it's just so damn hard. I'm right there with ya :(

I had the same exact feeling today. The test was vague and I feel like they weren't testing knowledge but they were testing more of "can you get the right answer using what you know that will KINDA help you get the answer?". I mean there were a good amount of gimmes, and straight recall, good amount of 2nd orders. But just so many felt vague and I ran out of time in the last 4 blocks. I felt like I was rushing in every block. I don't know how I did and I'm trying not to think about it but it's just so damn hard. I'm right there with ya :(
Same. Nice to know someone felt the same way I did I know.... near the end of this exam, i was contemplating what would happen if i fail this smh. I took it at the same place i took my MCAT and even then i felt like i failed, but at least that exam was more objective.... I feel like studying only prepared me for half of this exam... had my 2 minute meltdown earlier today so tears all gone. I'm going to try to be optimistic at this point and try not to think about it. Let's hope for the best.

The other thread dedicated to discussing NBME 19 has been removed due to people posting NBME questions, which are copyrighted material. Reproducing copyrighted material is illegal.

I encourage everyone to read the stickied notice at the top of the forum before posting:
Read this Thread First: Important Notice

You may ask a question about an NBME question, but in no way should your post resemble or reproduce the actual question. Simply abbreviating words and taking out a few filler words doesn't count as paraphrasing. Please note that the companies that own the rights to these questions often come to SDN and may pursue legal action against the user if there is copyrighted material posted here.

Thanks for replying. If our exam is similar I bet I will feel the same on Monday although I'm trying to stay positive and not think about that.
You are done, that's the most important so do something you enjoy and relax. :)

Let us know when you're done with your exam :)

I got 183, with 74% correct.
Superb confused!!!!!!!!!
I guess I will take form 17, after I have done the rest 50% of uworld

Are you talking about NBME 18? You got 183?
So, how is it possible that one person gets 211 with 75% correct and someone else 183??? This is so weird.

Anyone know the answer to the question about which skin lesion is equally likely on sun exposed and non exposed skin?

I'm done and honestly it feels so weird to be done. I can't even describe the feeling! This will be a long wait, I think it's 4 weeks right?

Congratulations! How do you feel?

The wait is atrocious. Perfect time for Netflix or basically anything relaxing.

Anyone know the answer to the question about which skin lesion is equally likely on sun exposed and non exposed skin?

I think they were asking about what lesions ate related to sun exposure and what are not. As far as I remember it was acanthosis nigricans (no correlation with sun exposure).
Unless it's a different question you are asking about :p

I'm done and honestly it feels so weird to be done. I can't even describe the feeling! This will be a long wait, I think it's 4 weeks right?

How was it?

I got a new date and it's April 13th. I can't even express how ****ty it feels to study for2 more weeks.
I wanted to be done so bad and I'm pissed the center shut down while I was taking the test.
Well, 2 more weeks for me...

Congratulations! How do you feel?

The wait is atrocious. Perfect time for Netflix or basically anything relaxing.

How was it?

I got a new date and it's April 13th. I can't even express how ****ty it feels to study for2 more weeks.
I wanted to be done so bad and I'm pissed the center shut down while I was taking the test.
Well, 2 more weeks for me...

Not sure, I was actually shocked by the amount of straightforward questions. I don't know how to feel, i'm kind of in this "post-exam high" type of state. I'm just reading about how some people feel walking out of the test.. and I can't say I can relate to anyone feeling like they absolutely bombed it. I also can't say I know I passed for sure because I NEVER feel like that! Some questions were such "gimmies" that I had to read them like 5 times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Some questions were just so obvious, others I had no clue and had to make educated guesses. Unfortunately, I remember many stupid mistakes and thinking about them is driving me insane.. but what's done is done. No idea what to expect, I'm exhausted and need to just relax now and catch up on all the shows I've missed.

I was SO tired during block 5/6, my eyes were heavy from staring at the big screen for hours. My back ached from the terrible chairs that had like zero back support.

@Joanna187 Just keep reading FA. I can tell you I felt most of my exam was in FA and I wish I did more of FA more times because If I had it memorized better I could have performed much better. Many silly mistakes I made were straight recall facts from FA and that's the worst feeling in the world ugh.

I think they were asking about what lesions ate related to sun exposure and what are not. As far as I remember it was acanthosis nigricans (no correlation with sun exposure).
Unless it's a different question you are asking about :p

Thanks, thats what I thought the answer was as well, wanted to make sure since I have no idea what a blue nevus is.

One more, the question asking about the advantage of a randomized controlled trial over a prospective cohort one for ACEIs vs CCBs. Do you recall what the answer to that was and why?

I
The other thread dedicated to discussing NBME 19 has been removed due to people posting NBME questions, which are copyrighted material. Reproducing copyrighted material is illegal.

I encourage everyone to read the stickied notice at the top of the forum before posting:
Read this Thread First: Important Notice

You may ask a question about an NBME question, but in no way should your post resemble or reproduce the actual question. Simply abbreviating words and taking out a few filler words doesn't count as paraphrasing. Please note that the companies that own the rights to these questions often come to SDN and may pursue legal action against the user if there is copyrighted material posted here.
I just saw this. I posted some NBME 19 questions but I edited them like trying to not make it that obvious. Is it still considered illegal? I just posted them right now.

Thanks, thats what I thought the answer was as well, wanted to make sure since I have no idea what a blue nevus is.

One more, the question asking about the advantage of a randomized controlled trial over a prospective cohort one for ACEIs vs CCBs. Do you recall what the answer to that was and why?

Sorry, just saw this!
It was confounding.

Controlled trials are... controlled. So we can eliminate confounding elements. Cohort studies are basically just observing and not really controlling these factors.

anyone find the scale of NBME19 to be a little rough? I got a 275 on UWSA1 a few days ago and a 242 on NMBE19 today. I made like 5-6 just stupid ass mistakes but damn... exam is 13 days out. Any advice to break 250? Goal is 260+ but at this point it seems like a dream...

anyone find the scale of NBME19 to be a little rough? I got a 275 on UWSA1 a few days ago and a 242 on NMBE19 today. I made like 5-6 just stupid ass mistakes but damn... exam is 13 days out. Any advice to break 250? Goal is 260+ but at this point it seems like a dream...

The consensus amongst my classmates is that it is harsh, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

I just took NBME 19 today. I thought the curve was pretty harsh. Same number of incorrect on NBME 18 and 19, but my score on NBME 19 was 16 points lower! What gives? This is so discouraging, and my test is in 4 days :(

Not sure, I was actually shocked by the amount of straightforward questions. I don't know how to feel, i'm kind of in this "post-exam high" type of state. I'm just reading about how some people feel walking out of the test.. and I can't say I can relate to anyone feeling like they absolutely bombed it. I also can't say I know I passed for sure because I NEVER feel like that! Some questions were such "gimmies" that I had to read them like 5 times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Some questions were just so obvious, others I had no clue and had to make educated guesses. Unfortunately, I remember many stupid mistakes and thinking about them is driving me insane.. but what's done is done. No idea what to expect, I'm exhausted and need to just relax now and catch up on all the shows I've missed.

I was SO tired during block 5/6, my eyes were heavy from staring at the big screen for hours. My back ached from the terrible chairs that had like zero back support.

@Joanna187 Just keep reading FA. I can tell you I felt most of my exam was in FA and I wish I did more of FA more times because If I had it memorized better I could have performed much better. Many silly mistakes I made were straight recall facts from FA and that's the worst feeling in the world ugh.
Sorry, just saw this!
It was confounding.

Controlled trials are... controlled. So we can eliminate confounding elements. Cohort studies are basically just observing and not really controlling these factors.

Hey, thought I'd let you know how I did on the exam since scores came out today.
I don't know how, but I passed with a 225, which was my highest ever score (my goal was always 230) and so I couldn't be more happy and satisfied.
I hope everything went well for you ^^

Hey, thought I'd let you know how I did on the exam since scores came out today.
I don't know how, but I passed with a 225, which was my highest ever score (my goal was always 230) and so I couldn't be more happy and satisfied.
I hope everything went well for you ^^

Congratulations!!! Awesome improvement from your past Nbme (211??) ! :) Hoping for the same next week.. sooo nervous !!!

Congratulations!!! Awesome improvement from your past Nbme (211??) ! :) Hoping for the same next week.. sooo nervous !!!
Yeah, that was the new nbme 19- beyond grateful. When i saw pass my HR immediately dropped BC I just wanted at least that after how i felt. I think you'll be fine. When i found out this morning that scores would be released, one of my friends told me that she thinks the curve is nicer than you think, and she guessed on 50% for some... Take that with a grain of salt but she took it in a different time period.
I'll pray for a good score for you