NBME 6- my review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotgame83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well since there hasn't been much feedback on NBME 6 yet I thought I would start a thread giving my own opinion since I just completed the exam a few minutes ago.

The exam is definitly worth doing. The question stems are a bit longer then was seen in nbme 1 and 2. I think it covered a good range of topics and included a few calculations. As for difficulty, I felt that the exam was more challenging then nbme 1 and 2. I guess I would compare it with nbme 3.

They did repeat an easy molecular question from nbme 3 which made me a little mad.

I know there hasnt been much feedback on how well it predicts ones score yet however I "think" that it is overpredicting my score by about 20pts right now. Yes this is based on absolutely no merit at all just based on how well I know the material and the range that I think I am in.

Final thoughts: Good questions worth doing-score may be a bit high.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the review. It really helped me narrow down which of the NBME forms I will take, 5 or 6. I think I am going to go with 6.

haha, a review of a practice exam. What have we become? (thanks for the review by the way, much appreciated)

Members don't see this ad :)
i just finished taking nbme 6. i scored 4 points lower than i did on nbme 1, which i took last week. i definitely thought it was harder than nbme 1...also took longer to get through.

i took nbme 6 today
scored 470
felt it was much tougher than the other forms
did nbme 4 three weeks back
scored 460 in that

I havent done nbme 4 yet so Im not really sure how that one stacks up but I personally didnt find nbme 3 all that difficult, well atleast not as challenging as everyone makes it out to be. I think that the questions in nbme 6 are fairly well represented across a variety of disciplines. The only problem I have with recommending doing nbme 6 over nbme 3 is the lack of feedback and score correlation.

If you want to see where you stand based on your score from an nbme practice exam I find it more useful to compare my score vs the score of other people and see how they performed on step 1.

So as of right now I would recommend nbme 3 just because it has a better "predicting history"

hey gotgame83
can u tell me ur scores in nbme 3 and 6
i am also planning to do nbme 3 in another 1 week
exam is may last week

hey gotgame83
can u tell me ur scores in nbme 3 and 6
i am also planning to do nbme 3 in another 1 week
exam is may last week

I scored 6 pts higher on nbme 6 compared to nbme 3, which were taken one week apart. Im trying to refrain from giving out exact scores on my nbme exams until after I get my results, which unfortunately wont be until july 16th, because quite a few ppl from my medical school know who I am on here. I just dont want to be the guy who was doing very well on the nbmes only to mess up on the real deal.

I feel that the nbmes haven't exploited my weaknesses yet so I feel that they may be overpredicting my scores. But I am taking nbme 4 this saturday so we will see.

Thanks for the review... I definitely plan on incorporating this test into my prep schedule. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Took this today. I thought that it was more challenging than #5 which I took last week, probably agree that its more on the level with #3(I've only done 3,5,6). I thought there were some hard behavioral questions and 4-5 path pictures where they didn't really give you any history, just the picture and asked you what caused it. Thats all I remember sticking out in my mind. Worth taking I think though.

NBME-6 overestimated my score by almost 10 points....

Thanks for the feedback---did you take any other NBME's, and if so, was there a big range between scores? How long before your Step 1 did you take NBME 6? About how well did you do on the real thing? Was your performance distribution about the same? I ask because it seems like the greatest discrepancies in prediction come from the highest numbers, i.e. people who got 250+ on one NBME and getting 235-245 on the real deal. I haven't seen someone have 2 of their NBME1-6 scores overestimate their actual score yet.

ive heard from a couple of cats that nbme 3 is the most predictive practice test of your real score..dont know why but ive heard it from multiple people...whats everyones take on nbme 1 and 2..those are the ones ive taken so far...

also heard that 5 was easy in another thread and now im reading 6 overestimates scores...

ive heard from a couple of cats that nbme 3 is the most predictive practice test of your real score..dont know why but ive heard it from multiple people...whats everyones take on nbme 1 and 2..those are the ones ive taken so far...

also heard that 5 was easy in another thread and now im reading 6 overestimates scores...

IMHO people report that the exams vary in difficulty based on whether or not a given form emphasizes their weaknesses. Besides form 1 (which was way too straight forward), I think they're all fair judges of how you're doing.

I still don't know what to think about other people's perceptions of the different NBME exams. I've taken two of them, Forms 5 and 4. I took NBME 5 as a baseline and my score was 224/520. I took NBME 4 a couple days later after only getting through less than 1/2 of BRS Physio(reading too slow) and my score was 226/530. In my opinion, the tests felt similar in difficulty and emphasis. I don't think my few days of reading some physio added any points on NBME 4. My performance breakdowns were different, save for 2 subjects, however. On one organ system, my performance on NBME 5 went from the lower limit of borderline all the way to a true star on NBME 4. On others, my performance dropped from the range including a star to hitting the shaded borderline area. I probably need to target every subject...

Also, the tests are scaled. So, if you do well on one form but don't repeat your score performance on another, I think it means you really knew the topics tested on one form relative to everybody else, but the opposite was true for another form. I took NBME 4 shortly after taking NBME 5 mainly because of all the talk about NBME 5 being "so easy" and was looking for corroboration. I'm glad I did it. Now I plan on taking NBME 1 this Sunday, this time after hitting some of my weakest areas with Goljan RR. Anyway, it just dawned on me that I spent my 15 minute break yacking away on SDN. Gotta get back at it.

Thanks for the feedback---did you take any other NBME's, and if so, was there a big range between scores? How long before your Step 1 did you take NBME 6? About how well did you do on the real thing? Was your performance distribution about the same? I ask because it seems like the greatest discrepancies in prediction come from the highest numbers, i.e. people who got 250+ on one NBME and getting 235-245 on the real deal. I haven't seen someone have 2 of their NBME1-6 scores overestimate their actual score yet.

Form 6 was the only one I took, because I didn't have the time or money to do more than one. But in general, the estimated score I was getting from Kaplan Q bank was the exact same score that NBME 6 predicted, both of which under-predicted my score by 10 points. If you want to know what my range was on step 1 you can message me :)

Form 6 was the only one I took, because I didn't have the time or money to do more than one. But in general, the estimated score I was getting from Kaplan Q bank was the exact same score that NBME 6 predicted, both of which under-predicted my score by 10 points. If you want to know what my range was on step 1 you can message me :)

overpredicted or underpredicted? Sorry, you said one in one post and one in the other.

overpredicted or underpredicted? Sorry, you said one in one post and one in the other.

Hey, yeah, sorry about that - my score was UNDERpredicted by the practice test. My actual boards score was HIGHER. Clearly I need to stop checking SDN before bedtime.

I went from a 550 on Form 5 (taken 4 days ago) to a 610 on Form 6 (taken today) having only studied Physiology and some Molecular Bio in the interim. Had studied most of pharm, path, and micro prior to taking both. I think Biochem was very underrepresented on Form 6, I would be thrilled if there was that little on my actual exam. I think that accounted for such a big jump in so little time.

No real point of reference, but I would suspect that Form 5 is more representative of the real thing.

NBME 6 is not actually that bad, there are quite a few lemons thrown it. Although the last block had some tricky questions, I was amazed how much overlap there was between UWorld/Goljan with NBME 6.

I really hope that describes my actual test.

I don't want to ruin anyone's test, but there was one cardio pharm question that I saw verbatim on UWorld a couple of hours before taking the practice test. The only difference was UWorld wanted to know the drug's side effect, while NBME just wanted the drug :laugh:

I just took NBME 6. I thought I'd contribute to the "review" of a "practice test" :)

I took form 4 three weeks ago before I started studying. I found it very difficult, but that could have been because I didn't remember anything from class. It was terrible.

NBME 4: 340 = 175

I took form 6 today after studying for 3 weeks. I have two more weeks to study, and I haven't quite made it through all the organ systems yet (couple more to go). My average on UW this week is 58%.

NBME 6: 480 = 214

I thought the questions on 6 were somewhat easier (but it's scaled anyway, so that shouldn't matter too much, right?). Less molecular cell type stuff than Form 4 in my opinion. I'd definitely recommend the test, and, like someone else said, there was a lot of overlap with UW. Anyway, take that info for what it's worth.