BOTH NBME 6 score compared to step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took NBME form 6 today and scored 212....
I have my step 2 in 5 days and realized that they raised the passing score to 209 this month.
I'm debating whether or not to take it....
I still have to take comlex in about 10 days and i'm not sure if I should just forfeit step 2 and concentrate on comlex, or just take usmle step 2 and just do DO match IF i fail usmle.
Any feedback on your experience with NBME 6 compared to the real step 2 would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If I postpone my step 2 to August, I will get my score in October... If I apply then, would it be too late?? any advice would be appreciated!

When in October? if it is the beginning of October, I dont think applying to the match 2 weeks late is that big of a deal. How was your step 1? what are you applying to

When in October? if it is the beginning of October, I dont think applying to the match 2 weeks late is that big of a deal. How was your step 1? what are you applying to

Probably mid-late August depending on which dates are open at prometric. I have no idea about the score release date because NBME announced that "there will be a delay in reporting for most examinees testing on or after July 31st. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees who test beginning July 31st will be Wednesday, September 24, 2014. "... so I guess any time after September 24th. I'm applying to FM/Psychiatry (FM mostly for DO programs and psych for MD programs) and I'm trying to decide whether or not it's best to

1) risk failing step 2 but just take it on 22nd for the sake of applying early (not feeling confident at all after that 212 on NBME 6)
2) just not take step 2 at all and apply with only COMLEX score
3) postpone step 2 to August and apply late to MD programs (or apply early and then report step 2 score when it gets released... if that is possible)

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably mid-late August depending on which dates are open at prometric. I have no idea about the score release date because NBME announced that "there will be a delay in reporting for most examinees testing on or after July 31st. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees who test beginning July 31st will be Wednesday, September 24, 2014. "... so I guess any time after September 24th. I'm applying to FM/Psychiatry (FM mostly for DO programs and psych for MD programs) and I'm trying to decide whether or not it's best to

1) risk failing step 2 but just take it on 22nd for the sake of applying early (not feeling confident at all after that 212 on NBME 6)
2) just not take step 2 at all and apply with only COMLEX score
3) postpone step 2 to August and apply late to MD programs (or apply early and then report step 2 score when it gets released... if that is possible)

How is your step 1?

I would try taking another NBME and see how you do. NBME 4 and UWSA are most accurate for 90+percent of the people. What was your UWORLD average?

How is your step 1?

I would try taking another NBME and see how you do. NBME 4 and UWSA are most accurate for 90+percent of the people. What was your UWORLD average?

I actually didn't take step 1 and took only level I comlex.
I did take NBME 4 2 weeks ago, but it was self paced (score 230) so I would not count that score...(or subtract at least 20 points for it to count as somewhat of an accurate assessment)
I have been scoring around low 60% on UWORLD during first pass, and I feel uncomfortable taking NBME 3 and 7 because I heard they are extremely difficult and I really dont want another moral breaker.

Yes hello, I am in a similar position--i took nbme 3, got < passing and freaked out. I wouldn't advise it. I would do Uworld Self Assessment and if it's over 230, cram hard and go for it! I'm 10 days out and that's what I plan to do. I do not know much about comlex/step 1 and how that would affect you as you are an AMG, but either way, good luck! Do let me know what you do/how it goes!!

Yes hello, I am in a similar position--i took nbme 3, got < passing and freaked out. I wouldn't advise it. I would do Uworld Self Assessment and if it's over 230, cram hard and go for it! I'm 10 days out and that's what I plan to do. I do not know much about comlex/step 1 and how that would affect you as you are an AMG, but either way, good luck! Do let me know what you do/how it goes!!

NBME 3 sounds horrible from everyone who took it. I'm leaning towards postponing it.... BUT with this score delay that's supposed to happen starting late July and getting "new set of questions" in the system, I'm not even sure if I should take usmle at all..... have you done UWSA?? is 230 a safe score and if I dont score about 230, should I not take the exam???

Well, most of the information available on these forums is in the 240+ range for all these assessments. But they say that UWSA underpredicts. 230 gives you enough wiggle room in case you underachieve. You had a 230 on NBME4 (I'm not sure how much self pace matters because I've never heard of anyone running out of time on an NBME). So it does seem like you know your stuff. Since the average on step 2 is about 237...I'd say scoring 230-237 is in the safe range if you're not gunning for a top score. But what do I know?

It really just depends what you're going for: are you trying to get a good score or to just pass?

If I were you (and I'm not) I'd take the UWSA and see what I get. If it's good, I'd take it. If it's bad I'd postphone/not take it. I have no idea how the DO comlex stuff works and if you need step 1 or not.

I hope this helps even a little bit..

Reactions: 1 user