USMLE NBME 7 is so brutal : S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-Oc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard it isn't that accurate but how was it inaccurate for you? I was blown away by my low score and could really use some feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NBME 7 historically under-predicts significantly. Use the link to the Reddit 2019 Correlation Results for NBME 7.

I've included the table with formulas you can throw your practice exam score into (from the correlation results) to get a better idea of where you're actually at.
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.38.15 AM.png

Reactions: 1 user
NBME 7 historically under-predicts significantly. Use the link to the Reddit 2019 Correlation Results for NBME 7.

I've included the table with formulas you can throw your practice exam score into (from the correlation results) to get a better idea of where you're actually at.
View attachment 302228

I got a 185 on NBME 7 I feel that I’m really bad at NBME questions I have a 68% in uworld do u suggest doing the subject exams in order to get used to the feel of NBMEs?

I got a 185 on NBME 7 I feel that I’m really bad at NBME questions I have a 68% in uworld do u suggest doing the subject exams in order to get used to the feel of NBMEs?

I can't really speak to that as I've never tried them.

Now that I am on the other side of things however, I can confidently say the Reddit predictions work. I scored 2 points above my NBME 7 conversion on the real thing (Actual NBME 7 Score: 221 Predicted Score: 247 Actual Score: 249)

Members don't see this ad :)

Now that I am on the other side of things however, I can confidently say the Reddit predictions work. I scored 2 points above my NBME 7 conversion on the real thing (Actual NBME 7 Score: 221 Predicted Score: 247 Actual Score: 249)

I guess ill keep grinding for the next 5 weeks I would be more than happy if that reddit prediction calculator works out for me

How far out did you take NBME 7 from step 2? I got a similar score and hoping to go up 10 points

Hey,
I heard it isn't that accurate but how was it inaccurate for you? I was blown away by my low score and could really use some feedback. Thanks.

Right there with ya.

I'm exactly one week out. Took NBME 7 this morning and was shocked. Scored a 186 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Previous Practice:
NBME 8: 214
UW 1: 218
UW2: 207

Obviously, looking at my previous scores, wasn't expecting a a 260 or anything but damn, 186?!?

Feedback greatly appreciated. Please talk me off the ledge, ha ha!

Heads up for anyone looking for confidence boost...

Got a 186 on NBME 7. Took the actual two weeks later and got a 226!

Not the greatest score in history but P = MD!

Also, the score predictor worked!

I also got trashed by NBME 7 200 at two weeks out. Real deal = 240+

You've got some guts!

I admire your courage and bravery. I've taken the following practice and scored the following:

NBME 7 - 183
NBME 6 - 195
NMBE 8 - 194
(Disclaimer: I didn't simulate the NBME's and simply took them with pauses and interruptions)
I did simulate the two below on Friday (10/2)
UWSA1 - 213
New Free 120 - 61%
UWSA2 - Taking on Wednesday

I'm not sure if I should take this exam (10/12). I guess it will depend on UWSA2, but I'm worried about a 10 point swing. Any advice?

I'm not sure if I should take this exam (10/12). I guess it will depend on UWSA2, but I'm worried about a 10 point swing. Any advice?

Did you take a look at the score predictor? If you look at UWSA1 it comes out to ~231...not too shabby in my book.

My advice? Simulate the exact circumstances for UWSA2 and see what you get. Looking at your scores though it seem like you are on the right track and that 10/12 should not be an issue at all.

Another anecdote I can add is that (for me at least) I was wayyyy more relaxed and calm while taking Step 2. In fact, I think I was more nervous taking the Step 2 practice exams than the actual. There was a point during the Step 2 actual where, if I could, I would've put my feet up on the desk. And that's not because it was easy (by any means) it just has a different feel (less anxiety provoking) than Step 1.

NBME's underpredict really badly. UWSA's and Free 120 usmle sample questions are better predictors. This is coming from an IMG who passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, Step 3, and currently finishing residency. Tutors will hype the NBME's that way you can pay them big bucks to teach you NBME concepts/explanations.

Use NBME's only for active learning. Don't delay your exams because of a fail on an NBME. Trust me.

NBME's underpredict really badly. UWSA's and Free 120 usmle sample questions are better predictors. This is coming from an IMG who passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, Step 3, and currently finishing residency. Tutors will hype the NBME's that way you can pay them big bucks to teach you NBME concepts/explanations.

Use NBME's only for active learning. Don't delay your exams because of a fail on an NBME. Trust me.
What do you recommend to increase scores on NBMEs?? I have done 6 of them Already and still below 211!! I have been reviewing FA and doing questions on FA and UWORLD about the topic reviewed and I don’t see progress ? Do you have any advise for me ? I’m IMG as well. Thank you very much for your time 🙏

What do you recommend to increase scores on NBMEs?? I have done 6 of them Already and still below 211!! I have been reviewing FA and doing questions on FA and UWORLD about the topic reviewed and I don’t see progress ? Do you have any advise for me ? I’m IMG as well. Thank you very much for your time 🙏
I wouldn't sweat the lack of score increase on nbmes. If you look at the nbme fine print, they themselves will say not to use the nbmes to predict scores. Nbmes are only reliable for those that score in the 250s and higher. You may gain all the knowledge and still not increase the nbme scores (unless you read notes that someone created with nbme concepts so that will falseley inflate your score and make you feel better).
Only assessments that you should worry about and concerned with are the uwsa 1 and 2 and free 120's. Their average will give you a great idea of where you stand with the usmles

I wouldn't sweat the lack of score increase on nbmes. If you look at the nbme fine print, they themselves will say not to use the nbmes to predict scores. Nbmes are only reliable for those that score in the 250s and higher. You may gain all the knowledge and still not increase the nbme scores (unless you read notes that someone created with nbme concepts so that will falseley inflate your score and make you feel better).
Only assessments that you should worry about and concerned with are the uwsa 1 and 2 and free 120's. Their average will give you a great idea of where you stand with the usmles
Ok, thank you for the advise. I will then focus on those 3 practice exam and see where I’m. Thank you 🙏