NBME CBSE for OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ad2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are students without numerical board scores required to take the NBME CBSE before applying to OMFS?

Members don't see this ad.

not yet, but probably will be in the near future. it would be a good idea to just go ahead and take it if you are planning to apply.

So, sorry to be slow in responding to this but it was discussed at the tri service oms meeting at the AAOMS conference last year. The generalized response is that these will be looked at yet but are not yet required. Many of the applicants are out of dental school and wouldn't be expected to go and retake this exam. I can't imagine a strong cbse score not helping you though. The consensus was letters of recommendation from OMS especially military oms ( think externships here for dental students) will be STRONGLY weighted!! DO NOT expect letters from you operative or Perio professor to be that beneficial. Find an OMS somewhere especially a dept chair at your school if you have a program and impress them or at least make your name known. Good luck to all applicants for the next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was discussed at BOLC last summer and seemed like it would be required... I haven't been able to find any official updates or heard from anyone who applied from the first cohort of NBDE P/F students, but I have just been working on the assumption that it would be.

Guess I fell into the assumption trap though; if its not required for upcoming year I could have used some of this studying time for valuable externships instead. Studying is good prep for attending rounds however, so there's always a silver lining.

That being said, I am trying to track down more information. Best of luck.

Anyone got an update on this? Is it required for 2015 application?

Separately, I see the GRE is recommended but not required, do most people end up taking that?

Yep its required unless you have a numerical score for NBDE. Even if you did have a numerical for the NBDE, I would still take the NBME because the Army board last year highly preferred those with the score, hence so many 2LTs chosen straight from school.