NBME comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-Oc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one do well on the NBME comp at the end of semester 4? most efficient way to study?

Members don't see this ad.

Do well throughout your four semesters. This will put you in the position of not having to 'learn things for the first time' before your comp that you should just be reviewing.
Commit to studying most weekends during your 4th semester.
Pay attention in your clinical class, bc PE findings and patient centered care are actually super relevant for answering certain questions right.
You can have the best resources in the world but if you don't put the time in it doesn't matter. I used my class notes, ICM notes, Goljan rapid review path for weak areas, and pathoma. Don't forget to review stuff from first semester- genetics, biochem, histo and anatomy have a way of sneaking into comps and surprising you. Ideally, integrate this info as you go thru path and it will be easier for you to review it before comp. Doing at least one practice comp before the test is absolutely recommended so you can see where you are and get a feel for the questions. If you want to use a q-bank, I would recommend the first aid bank, as using u-world before your intensive step studying period might not be the best choice for comp.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
thank you. Just wondering but which qbank is similar to the COMP? Uworld? Kaplan? Usmle RX?

I never tried Kaplan. Heard that it's wordy and beyond what you need for comp, though. Also, it expensive, so you might as well splurge on a longer uworld subscription instead.
Really like RX! It's a good starting point, and does a good job covering info on comp. I also used it during classes to review for final shelf exams, like micro and biochem.
Personally, I saved uworld for step studying, but I had friends who did some before the comp. I think some of the questions are harder than comp level material.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile