NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HTxFrog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, our school administers this exam and it is supposed to be like a shorter version of step 1 kind of. On the score sheet, they gave us a 2 digit score and then there is a sheet that tells you what 3 digit score that correlates to on Step 1. I was just wondering, does anyone know how accurate this really is? For example, if you got a 70 (the avg. score) on the CBSE which they say correlates to a 200, does that mean that if you took the test tomorrow, you would get something around a 200, or does it mean that you scored 70th percentile compared to people taking the CBSE right now (many of whom haven't started studying yet), and 70th percentile on Step 1 correlates to a 200?
I may be phrasing this all in a really confusing way, but basically, if you were happy with your score on the CBSE, could you just go take Step 1 tomorrow and get around that score, or is it kind of like, if you keep studying for three months you will get around that score?

Members don't see this ad.

It is your predicted score at that period in time. I've heard that most people report fairly accurate predictions of their actual USMLE score with a NBME that they took <1 month before the test.

yea im pretty sure it is basically a measure of where you are right now, if you search the official 2009 step thread you can see how people who took the CBSE progressed, im using the CBSE as a way to see subjects i am specifically weaker in