NBME Practice Forms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbertConstable

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the breakdown/details of the 4 practice exams provided by NBME for $45 each? I've heard people mention Form 1 and Form 2 a few times saying that they are close to the real thing but I haven't heard any mention of Form 3 or Form 4.

So if anyone with experience could comment on all 4 of them, I would appreciate it.

(When to take them? take 1 of them? all of them? difficulty/simulation of real thing? whatever else)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain the breakdown/details of the 4 practice exams provided by NBME for $45 each? I've heard people mention Form 1 and Form 2 a few times saying that they are close to the real thing but I haven't heard any mention of Form 3 or Form 4.

So if anyone with experience could comment on all 4 of them, I would appreciate it.

(When to take them? take 1 of them? all of them? difficulty/simulation of real thing? whatever else)

Thanks.

Each form has 200 questions (4 blocks with 50 questions/block). you can take the test either in test mode, where you get 60 minutes/block or you could take it in self-paced mode, where you get 4 hours/block

I took all 4 forms in self paced mode. Based on my experience with them, I found Form 1 to be the easiest. Form 4 was the hardest. While I was going through form 4, I thought i was going to fail it BAD, but ended up with a score of 460 on it:rolleyes: I thought forms 2 and 3 were similar in terms of difficulty and most like the actual step 1 exam.

My timeline:
Form 1: 2 months before step 1
Form 4: 1 month before step 1
Form 3: 2 weeks before step 1
Form 2: 2 days before step 1

I recommend starting with Form 1. You can take the others in any order you want, but I feel you should keep forms 2 and 3 for the end as you are nearing your Step 1 date.

Good luck:thumbup:

Each form has 200 questions (4 blocks with 50 questions/block). you can take the test either in test mode, where you get 60 minutes/block or you could take it in self-paced mode, where you get 4 hours/block

I took all 4 forms in self paced mode. Based on my experience with them, I found Form 1 to be the easiest. Form 4 was the hardest. While I was going through form 4, I thought i was going to fail it BAD, but ended up with a score of 460 on it:rolleyes: I thought forms 2 and 3 were similar in terms of difficulty and most like the actual step 1 exam.

My timeline:
Form 1: 2 months before step 1
Form 4: 1 month before step 1
Form 3: 2 weeks before step 1
Form 2: 2 days before step 1

I recommend starting with Form 1. You can take the others in any order you want, but I feel you should keep forms 2 and 3 for the end as you are nearing your Step 1 date.

Good luck:thumbup:
do these not change year to year? (or at least from last year?)

Members don't see this ad :)
do these not change year to year? (or at least from last year?)

I took these tests recently (I took form 1 on september 2006). I remember at the beginning of the test there was a copyright date for each test. For form 1, I think the copyright was from 2001. So I dont think the question content of each form changes from year to year. I took the same test in 2006 that someone took in 2001 or 2002 but newer forms (forms 3 and 4) are created to reflect the changing nature of the test (I think they had a copyright from the year 2005)

Thanks for your help. It clears things up.

If anyone has other comments to add about the nbme forms, I'd be happy to hear them too.

I took these tests recently (I took form 1 on september 2006). I remember at the beginning of the test there was a copyright date for each test. For form 1, I think the copyright was from 2001. So I dont think the question content of each form changes from year to year. I took the same test in 2006 that someone took in 2001 or 2002 but newer forms (forms 3 and 4) are created to reflect the changing nature of the test (I think they had a copyright from the year 2005)
thanks a lot

So at $40 each, buying them for $10 each would be a very good deal right? Has anyone ever been offered these via email at a discounted price? Email is just not very secure, is it?