NBME Practice Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who took Step II already, how closely do the 150 questions given by the NBME correspond to the level of difficulty and style of the actual exam? And would anyone be willing to volunteer how they did on the practice questions and then on the exam? [I took the practice questions today, and because I'm feeling very unmotivated, I'm not sure whether I can just take the exam or whether I should bite the bullet and do some more intense studying.) :rolleyes:
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I was a bit lazy and did the practice exam around 11 pm the night before the real Step II just to remember how to use the computer program. I got around 90% of 150 right, but did all 150 questions in about 35 minutes. This was after all my studying so I'll bet I would have done worse before I did the hard core cramming. Took Step 2 on Dec 4, 2001 and scored a 259. I also didn't think the questions got harder as I took the exam like some people so I don't think they implemented that system where you get progressively easier or harder questions the better or worse you do, although I was exhausted after the exam. The questions are much longer than the Step I exam too and I did 3 hours straight then 10 minute break, 2 hours then lunch and then for the last 3 sections I took a break in between because I was just dying trying to keep focused. You get to the point where you just don't care anymore but I did my best to stay focused.

The questions on the practice test seemed to be a bit easier than the actual exam but it's a lot less stressful when you're doing those and knowing that they don't really count so others may have a different opinion on this.

Good luck. I thought the exam was easier (although the questions were much longer) than Step I, but I also worked a lot harder and studied more in my clinical years than I did those first couple years of medical school.