NBME Practice Session

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone try the USMLE Practice Session, where you pay $42 to go to a prometric testing center and do 150 questions (basically the free ones you would get on the USMLE website or orientation material,) just to get a feel for CBT? And also, I guess, to get used to the testing environment, i.e. noisy throat clearers and whatnot?

https://apps.nbme.org/CBTPSRegistrationWeb/jsp/usmle_CBTPS_registration.jsp

i'm not sure if i want to shell out even more money to simply practice using their computer. i just wonder if there's something about CBT that would be worth $42 to preview.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually just registered for a practice session 2 weeks before my actual test date. I was advised by a friend who took the step 1 last year to do it. I think it'll allow you to feel more comfortable with the setting and familiar with how the actual test is going to feel like.

Did anyone try the USMLE Practice Session, where you pay $42 to go to a prometric testing center and do 150 questions (basically the free ones you would get on the USMLE website or orientation material,) just to get a feel for CBT? And also, I guess, to get used to the testing environment, i.e. noisy throat clearers and whatnot?

https://apps.nbme.org/CBTPSRegistrationWeb/jsp/usmle_CBTPS_registration.jsp

i'm not sure if i want to shell out even more money to simply practice using their computer. i just wonder if there's something about CBT that would be worth $42 to preview.

Definitely make sure you do the NBME Self Assessment Exams (there are 4 of them) before your exam. They are the closest thing you will get to the exam besides the 150 free questions, which are notoriously much easier than the real exam.

I would spend the money for the practice session so you are used to everything in the place. The last thing you want are the little things to possibly affect you on test day.