bruins2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status
Hello everyone,

Has anyone did great on the NBME's and got average on the real thing? I took NBME 1 (228), NBME 3 (234) and NBME 4 (240) within the month before the exam and when I walked out of the test, I really felt I messed up really bad. I barely had time to finish the last two blocks.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
bruins2007 said:
Hello everyone,

Has anyone did great on the NBME's and got average on the real thing? I took NBME 1 (228), NBME 3 (234) and NBME 4 (240) within the month before the exam and when I walked out of the test, I really felt I messed up really bad. I barely had time to finish the last two blocks.
Don't worry, everyone that got like 260s apparently walked out feeling the same...

OP
B

bruins2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status
hopefully, ill be alright too thanks. Im not even shooting for 260, I would be really content with a 230-240. Does anyone know how many you can miss to get a 230-240?

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
bruins2007 said:
hopefully, ill be alright too thanks. Im not even shooting for 260, I would be really content with a 230-240. Does anyone know how many you can miss to get a 230-240?
I don't think anyone really knows, since it depends on the form etc, but my wild guess would be that you could miss 100 (25%) and still get a score in that range.

CUMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Everyone of my friends felt uneasy after the test. We got our scores this week, and the NBMEs were ridiculously accurate in their predictive value. PM me if you would like specifics.

Relax, and enjoy the summer man! I'm assuming you're at UCLA.

threepeas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
for me.....
nbme 2 days pre-usmle 244
usmle 245

pretty close.
doing nbme one month before the real thing isnt reliable in my opion.
you should take it atleast one week before for prediction purposes.

kingcer0x

Re-Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
threepeas said:
for me.....
nbme 2 days pre-usmle 244
usmle 245

pretty close.
doing nbme one month before the real thing isnt reliable in my opion.
you should take it atleast one week before for prediction purposes.

NBME 2 was pretty close for me too 3 days pre-USMLE, about 3 points higher on the real thing. Don't sweat it

Mye Eye

Ophtho Cookie Eater
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kingcer0x said:
NBME 2 was pretty close for me too 3 days pre-USMLE, about 3 points higher on the real thing. Don't sweat it
Form 4: 6 points too low
Form 3: 8 points too low
- both done about 1.5 weeks-2 weeks before

QBank full length: exactly my score

i used medfriends.org score predictor...what are yall usin?

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
bruins2007 said:
thanks for the replies man... appreciate your help

HI BUDDY,

I FELT EXACTLY like you felt.... and I'm pretty good at accessing my scores after an exam the NBME 2 that I took I got a 236 and on the real thing I got a 240/97. SO..... the NBME is VERY indicative of how you do on the real thing, regardless if you felt it was impossible or not... the rest of my friends say the same thing..... after the real thing I was certain I bombed it! and I was pleasently surprised :)

mackaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
for NBME 2, it predicted a score of 230
NBME4, it predicted a score of 240

my real score is 238

so NBME is very indicative of how you will do on the real thing (i also walked out of the room feeling that i failed the damn exam)

OP
B

bruins2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status
thank you everyone for the help... hopefully i can keep the predictive power of the NBME going

enlighten me.

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
For me, the NBMEs weren't very predictive. I did both Form 1 and 2 (on self-paced mode and open book however) and scored 800 (>265) on both. My actual Step 1 score turned out to be 231/94. Not sure what to make of it. Almost think it could be a mistake or something.

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Munich, Germany
Status
Hi, I need some advice with NBME tests

I wrote Step 1 in May 2006 and i failed (172/71). Now I am preparing for my second attempt (I started studying again at the beginning of July and plan to write it at the end of September).

For my first attempt, I only took the NBME Form 1 the day before the real thing and scored 380 (186).

I have downloaded the NBME Form 1 and 2 questions that are floating around SDN (which I didnt have for my first attempt). Should I go through these two forms myself (instead of paying for them) and then pay for Forms 3 and 4 as I get closer to my test date or should I also pay for Form 1 and Form 2 and do all the 4 forms the "correct" way? (Money is not the issue here). I am particularly interested in Form 2 because it seems like it is the best predictor.

I hope my post made sense :oops:
Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
enlighten me. said:
For me, the NBMEs weren't very predictive. I did both Form 1 and 2 (on self-paced mode and open book however) and scored 800 (>265) on both. My actual Step 1 score turned out to be 231/94. Not sure what to make of it. Almost think it could be a mistake or something.
How can doing them open-book mean anything other than you know how to read? Of course they don't predict well that way.

kingcer0x

Re-Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
(nicedream) said:
How can doing them open-book mean anything other than you know how to read? Of course they don't predict well that way.
yeah I dont think open book is a good predictor of potential USMLE success. I did keep Qs in mind to look up afterwards. I dont want to give out my actual score because everyone knows this screen name of mine, but PM me if you want some detailed info on how well the NBMEs, Q bank, and other factors predicted my score.

The USMLE score estimator was right on, maybe 1 or 2 points off. I was so impressed with how close it was that I did indeed contribute my data to the site. Again, PM me for details.

In retrospect I wish I would have done 3 and 4 in the same day to simulate actual test conditions. Call it laziness, burn out, or good syndicated shows on TNT during the day, but I didnt take a single full length before the real thing. But my score was pretty good so no complaints here!

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
(nicedream) said:
lol. yeah i could probably pass the IM specialty board if i took it untimed and open book.