• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

nbme predictors

bruins2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone did great on the NBME's and got average on the real thing? I took NBME 1 (228), NBME 3 (234) and NBME 4 (240) within the month before the exam and when I walked out of the test, I really felt I messed up really bad. I barely had time to finish the last two blocks.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 10, 2004
    The Sea
      bruins2007 said:
      Hello everyone,

Has anyone did great on the NBME's and got average on the real thing? I took NBME 1 (228), NBME 3 (234) and NBME 4 (240) within the month before the exam and when I walked out of the test, I really felt I messed up really bad. I barely had time to finish the last two blocks.

Don't worry, everyone that got like 260s apparently walked out feeling the same...

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 10, 2004
      The Sea
        bruins2007 said:
        hopefully, ill be alright too thanks. Im not even shooting for 260, I would be really content with a 230-240. Does anyone know how many you can miss to get a 230-240?

I don't think anyone really knows, since it depends on the form etc, but my wild guess would be that you could miss 100 (25%) and still get a score in that range.

About the Ads

kingcer0x

Re-Member
        10+ Year Member
        Air Force
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 10, 2003
        USA
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          threepeas said:
          for me.....
          nbme 2 days pre-usmle 244
          usmle 245

pretty close.
          doing nbme one month before the real thing isnt reliable in my opion.
          you should take it atleast one week before for prediction purposes.

NBME 2 was pretty close for me too 3 days pre-USMLE, about 3 points higher on the real thing. Don't sweat it

Mye Eye

Ophtho Cookie Eater
          10+ Year Member
          Jul 15, 2006
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            kingcer0x said:
            NBME 2 was pretty close for me too 3 days pre-USMLE, about 3 points higher on the real thing. Don't sweat it
            Form 4: 6 points too low
            Form 3: 8 points too low
            - both done about 1.5 weeks-2 weeks before

QBank full length: exactly my score

i used medfriends.org score predictor...what are yall usin?

ocean11

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jun 24, 2002
              bruins2007 said:
              thanks for the replies man... appreciate your help

HI BUDDY,

I FELT EXACTLY like you felt.... and I'm pretty good at accessing my scores after an exam the NBME 2 that I took I got a 236 and on the real thing I got a 240/97. SO..... the NBME is VERY indicative of how you do on the real thing, regardless if you felt it was impossible or not... the rest of my friends say the same thing..... after the real thing I was certain I bombed it! and I was pleasently surprised :)

superoxide

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jun 29, 2006
              Munich, Germany
                Hi, I need some advice with NBME tests

I wrote Step 1 in May 2006 and i failed (172/71). Now I am preparing for my second attempt (I started studying again at the beginning of July and plan to write it at the end of September).

For my first attempt, I only took the NBME Form 1 the day before the real thing and scored 380 (186).

I have downloaded the NBME Form 1 and 2 questions that are floating around SDN (which I didnt have for my first attempt). Should I go through these two forms myself (instead of paying for them) and then pay for Forms 3 and 4 as I get closer to my test date or should I also pay for Form 1 and Form 2 and do all the 4 forms the "correct" way? (Money is not the issue here). I am particularly interested in Form 2 because it seems like it is the best predictor.

I hope my post made sense :oops:
                Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Mar 10, 2004
                The Sea
                  enlighten me. said:
                  For me, the NBMEs weren't very predictive. I did both Form 1 and 2 (on self-paced mode and open book however) and scored 800 (>265) on both. My actual Step 1 score turned out to be 231/94. Not sure what to make of it. Almost think it could be a mistake or something.

How can doing them open-book mean anything other than you know how to read? Of course they don't predict well that way.

kingcer0x

Re-Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  Air Force
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jun 10, 2003
                  USA
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    (nicedream) said:
                    How can doing them open-book mean anything other than you know how to read? Of course they don't predict well that way.

yeah I dont think open book is a good predictor of potential USMLE success. I did keep Qs in mind to look up afterwards. I dont want to give out my actual score because everyone knows this screen name of mine, but PM me if you want some detailed info on how well the NBMEs, Q bank, and other factors predicted my score.

The USMLE score estimator was right on, maybe 1 or 2 points off. I was so impressed with how close it was that I did indeed contribute my data to the site. Again, PM me for details.

In retrospect I wish I would have done 3 and 4 in the same day to simulate actual test conditions. Call it laziness, burn out, or good syndicated shows on TNT during the day, but I didnt take a single full length before the real thing. But my score was pretty good so no complaints here!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.