NBME Tutor Mode/Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Three-Wiggle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yea I probably shoulda searched first...
I'm thinking about doing an NBME, but I heard they do not provide explanations to their questions - just the right answer... is that true? Can someone confirm this? I'd hate to spend four hours taking the test and not learn anything from it...

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I probably shoulda searched first...
I'm thinking about doing an NBME, but I heard they do not provide explanations to their questions - just the right answer... is that true? Can someone confirm this? I'd hate to spend four hours taking the test and not learn anything from it...

Actually, the NBME exams don't even come with answers, and there is definitely no such thing as "Tutor Mode." The only option you have is doing the exam in self-paced mode, which gives you 4 hours per section instead of the standard-paced 63 minutes, so you could theoretically look up the answers to questions you aren't sure about. However, that would sort of defeat the purpose of doing an NBME, assuming you're doing it to get an accurate Step 1 score estimate. The only feedback you get is a profile at the end of the exam that gives you a score from 200 to 800 that converts to a 3 digit USMLE score and bars for each subject that show whether you were above average, average, or below average.