NBMEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdmTS13

Reaction score
A friend of mine says he found bootleg versions of NBMEs 12-17 as well as UWorld (2013, 2014, 2016) and I was trying to reason him out of doing those, and getting the original ones instead. Can anyone weigh out the pros and cons for us? Also, can anyone please explain to me what "the NBME curve" is? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros:

Don't have to pay $60 each for them.

Cons:

You don't get a score report with strengths/ weaknesses.
You don't get to take it as a "test environment"; timed, etc.
You don't get a score; you can calculate your percent but it doesn't automatically correlate with the score; an 80% got me a 219 on NBME 13 while an 82% got me a 236 on 19. But you can find a forum post somewhere where people put their scores, but you have to look for it.

Thank you very much good sir
So let's say if someone is on a budget and they can only get three NBMEs, which ones should they take? And would three be enough or should one dig deep (into the bank account) and just buy as many as possible?
Thanking you in anticipation

O
My schedule for doing them was:

NBME 13: 12 weeks out.
UWSA1: 10 weeks out.
NBME 18: 4 weeks out.
NBME 19: 2 weeks out.
UWSA2: 1 week out.
Free 120: 4 days out.

In addition to those I had to take 4 practice tests for COMLEX for my school; March, May, and June, and July which is why I took the ones I bought at random intervals.

I would invest in as many as it takes for you to get comfortable with testing conditions; Private space, do them timed, no access to outside resources for your eyes to wander to, etc. That depends on you though. It might be 1, it might be more. I felt like I did just enough. As for which ones, I can’t say since I only bought the 3.

I took Step 1 today and I felt like it was worth it, plus I only spent $180, since UWorld is basically mandatory and it’s only $10 more to get the second assessment if you don’t get the long subscription.

Okay, thanks again
Hope you get a rockstar score!

Take the real tests online to get the invaluable experience of simulating test-like conditions--it isn't worth saving a few bucks here and there in the context of how much your medical education costs. You will not be happy that you saved a few $ (in the context of future earning potential) if you are not able to match in your desired specialty or program.

Reactions: 1 user