NBPAS Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT UPDATE - The National Board of Physicians and Surgeons (NBPAS) is pleased to announce the following exciting developments:

● NBPAS meets all national accreditation standards for health plans. This includes the standards put forth by the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA) and the Utilization Review Accreditation Commission (URAC). While these acronyms may be unfamiliar to physicians, these additions are a critical component in being accepted by health insurance carriers nationwide.

Want to understand the details and know more? Click here:
https://nbpas.org/ncqa-update/
If your hospital currently does not accept NBPAS, please share this update with them. This is an important requirement for reimbursement and could help advance your request to add NBPAS board certification at your hospital. Please reach out to us if you have any questions.

Spread the news, ask your colleagues to join NBPAS. Together we can provide physicians a choice in how they want to maintain their board certification.

Stay tuned – more good news is on the way!

For more information, contact [email protected]
mailservice

National Board of Physicians and Surgeons | www.nbpas.org

Members don't see this ad.

What is this "NBPAS" nonsense anyways?
Forgive me for being late to the game. All I have in my brain is that they're some "wannabe" credentialing body.

Reactions: 2 users
An alternative to the ABMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is this "NBPAS" nonsense anyways?
Forgive me for being late to the game. All I have in my brain is that they're some "wannabe" credentialing body.
Pretty much that.

Its the largest of the alternative options, started specifically because of MOC.

Its interesting because to be certified by the NBPAS you have to earn initial certification through ABMS and then you can just to regular CME to maintain NBPAS certification.

"The National Board of Physicians and Surgeons (NBPAS) was founded in 2014 to provide an alternative pathway for the maintenance phase of certification through rigorous, practice-specific continuing medical education (CME). NBPAS also requires initial ABMS or AOA board certification and is the only organization that board certifies physicians in all ABMS and AOA medical specialties and subspecialties."

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't NBPAS allow FM-trained docs to obtain EM "board certification"? Because if so, I'm not a fan.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't NBPAS allow FM-trained docs to obtain EM "board certification"? Because if so, I'm not a fan.

The second they got wind of this there were tons of FM docs posting on EM Docs asking if they could use this as a way around abem to get credentialing at real hospitals.

No thanks.