NBPME policy changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feli

Übermensch
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per NBPME website:

"New Test Sequence Policy
The NBPME will, beginning on January 1, 2010, NOT allow any podiatric medical student or candidate to take Part II unless he or she has taken and successfully completed (with a passing score) Part I. Likewise, we will NOT allow any candidate to take Part III unless he/she has successfully completed and passed Part I and II. We will mandate that the tests be taken sequentially and passed before the candidate continues on to the next part. The goal of this new policy is to require students to demonstrate mastery of basic knowledge before advancing into clinical knowledge and skills assessment, since each test part assumes that prior knowledge has been achieved."

...This is a good change IMO. USMLE allows taking their exams out of sequence for FMGs who might want to pass pt2 then go back and study for pt1, but for podiatry boards, I never really saw any point for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Per NBPME website:

"New Test Sequence Policy
The NBPME will, beginning on January 1, 2010, NOT allow any podiatric medical student or candidate to take Part II unless he or she has taken and successfully completed (with a passing score) Part I. Likewise, we will NOT allow any candidate to take Part III unless he/she has successfully completed and passed Part I and II. We will mandate that the tests be taken sequentially and passed before the candidate continues on to the next part. The goal of this new policy is to require students to demonstrate mastery of basic knowledge before advancing into clinical knowledge and skills assessment, since each test part assumes that prior knowledge has been achieved."

...This is a good change IMO. USMLE allows taking their exams out of sequence for FMGs who might want to pass pt2 then go back and study for pt1, but for podiatry boards, I never really saw any point for it.
Feli,

What would be considered a passing score? Do residency programs set their cutoffs?

Thanks

Passing scores are typically any scaled score of 75 and above. In the event that you pass this exam, you receive a statement indicating that you have "successfully" completed the exam, with no score indicated. The whole purpose for this exam is to establish minimum competence to practice podiatric medicine and surgery. It is not designed to be used for selection of residents. For that reason, residency directors do not decide the passing score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passing scores are typically any scaled score of 75 and above. In the event that you pass this exam, you receive a statement indicating that you have "successfully" completed the exam, with no score indicated. The whole purpose for this exam is to establish minimum competence to practice podiatric medicine and surgery. It is not designed to be used for selection of residents. For that reason, residency directors do not decide the passing score.
Ok now I get it. I'll see if I can get some more info on their website.