NC State Undergrad Getting into UM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_lo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some opinions on my chances of getting into the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. I am a sophomore at NC State University my cumulative GPA is 3.98. I have done shadowing and volunteering and also have a couple of leadership positions. I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am planning on doing so next May. I have looked at the stats of accepted students and my GPA is competitive and they accept some students from North Carolina, but I have not found any proof of NCSU students being accepted. I am wondering if my undergrad institution really matters for a school like this and if I really want to get into UM what I may consider doing. Any advice on how to stand out for the Miller School of Medicine? Should I transfer to a more competitive undergrad institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Until you have a MCAT score, your chances are 0%. I'm not being a jerk, but it pointless to speculate without it.

And transferring to a more competitive school could tank your GPA. Stay where you are and work on rocking the MCAT and keeping your GPA up. That is the best thing you can do right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some opinions on my chances of getting into the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. I am a sophomore at NC State University my cumulative GPA is 3.98. I have done shadowing and volunteering and also have a couple of leadership positions. I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am planning on doing so next May. I have looked at the stats of accepted students and my GPA is competitive and they accept some students from North Carolina, but I have not found any proof of NCSU students being accepted. I am wondering if my undergrad institution really matters for a school like this and if I really want to get into UM what I may consider doing. Any advice on how to stand out for the Miller School of Medicine? Should I transfer to a more competitive undergrad institution?

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully in your classes. As the above poster said, you need to continue to keep your grades up and do incredibly well on the MCAT. Where you go to undergrad really has very little, if any bearing, on these things as long as your grades are strong. Is there some reason why you need to go to Miami over every other med school in the country? I would caution you about getting too attached to one particular school. This process is incredibly random at times, and even if you are a stellar applicant, it may not work out at any one given school. Obviously, having some type of personal connection to the school/location (e.g. having mentors there or close family in the area) certainly cannot hurt, but nothing in this process is a guarantee.

Going to NCSU vs UNC or ECU or Duke will not really affect your chances at getting into UM. What matters is your GPA + MCAT etc. I am an NCSU senior, at the very least it did not hurt my getting interviews. I didn't get an interview to UM, but that could be one of many reasons, whether it be a poor secondary, yield protection, etc.

Impossible to answer as you don't have an MCAT score.