NC State University c/o 2031 Applicants

Started by NCSU CVM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Raleigh, NC North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine Average GPAGPA 3.82 IS tuitionIS $26,067 OOS tuitionOOS $59,041 NCSU-VET Details Interview Feedback

NCSU CVM

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Class of 2031 Applicants (VMCAS Deadline September 15, 2026 - start program in Fall 2027)!

This is the Student Development Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and we will do our best to get them answered quickly. You are also encouraged to review admissions requirements at the NC State CVM web site.
 
REMINDER --- NOTE THIS CHANGE IN REQUIREMENTS
**Beginning with applicants for the Class of 2030 (this admissions cycle - 09/15/2025 deadline to start in Fall 2026), animal nutrition is no longer required, and applicants will be required to fulfill only four semester hours of physics.**
 
VMCAS Made Simple

The VMCAS application itself is divided into four main sections:
  1. Personal Information: This section gathers your biographical and contact information, citizenship details, parent/guardian information, race/ethnicity, and other relevant background information.
  2. Academic History: Here you'll enter details about all high schools and colleges you've attended, including transcripts, coursework, and any standardized test scores (like GRE, MCAT, or TOEFL).
  3. Supporting Information: This section is where you provide your essays, letters of recommendation, information about your experiences (veterinary, animal, research, employment, etc.), achievements, and licenses/certifications.
  4. Program Materials: This section is specific to the veterinary programs you are applying to. It may include supplementary questions, essays, or other required materials unique to those programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REMINDER --- NOTE THIS CHANGE IN REQUIREMENTS
**Beginning with applicants for the Class of 2030 (this admissions cycle - 09/15/2025 deadline to start in Fall 2026), animal nutrition is no longer required, and applicants will be required to fulfill only four semester hours of physics.**
My daughter took physics 1 and 2. She made an A in physics 1, but a B in physics 2. Since only physics 1 is required now, how does that factor into her calculated GPA for her prerequisites? Do they both get counted or just one? Also she is taking BCH 361 (advanced principles of biochemistry at ASU). Will this satisfy the biochemistry requirements for NC State?
 
I am a reapplicant for the 2026-2027 cycle (applied for the first time during the 2024-2025). It has been hard but so incredibly rewarding taking a gap year and coming back to try again.

I'm excited to chat with the people applying this cycle!
Good luck!!! 👽:highfive:
 
When calculating pre-req GPA, if I retake a class does that grade average with the original take or does it replace it?
 
When calculating pre-req GPA, if I retake a class does that grade average with the original take or does it replace it?
Both grades are entered into the GPA calculation. We don't drop the lower grade and we don't contract two courses into one. If an applicant takes Statistics twice and gets a D and a B, it would be a total of 6 credits and 12 quality points (D=3x1 and B=3x3) factored into the Required Course GPA calculation; not 3 credits and 6 quality points.

Let us know if you need additional clarification.
 
Both grades are entered into the GPA calculation. We don't drop the lower grade and we don't contract two courses into one. If an applicant takes Statistics twice and gets a D and a B, it would be a total of 6 credits and 12 quality points (D=3x1 and B=3x3) factored into the Required Course GPA calculation; not 3 credits and 6 quality points.

Let us know if you need additional clarification.
Thank you! 2 Follow up questions:

I took two different statistics classes. (ST 311 Intro to Stats and ST 511 Statistical Methods for Researchers) would this count as a retake since it is for the the same prerequisite or could I just utilize my highest grade for my calculation. I have a similar scenario for Biochemistry (BCH 351 and BCH 553)

Are GPAs recalculated with the grades submitted from fall transcripts before decisions?
 
Thank you! 2 Follow up questions:

I took two different statistics classes. (ST 311 Intro to Stats and ST 511 Statistical Methods for Researchers) would this count as a retake since it is for the the same prerequisite or could I just utilize my highest grade for my calculation. I have a similar scenario for Biochemistry (BCH 351 and BCH 553)

Are GPAs recalculated with the grades submitted from fall transcripts before decisions?
Send your question with the course descriptions, link to the catalog and syllabi (if available) to the [email protected] account so we can respond specifically with written confirmation in an email. This will provide you with a record during the admissions cycle.

GPA are updated with grades from fall transcripts but not before decisions for non-resident applicants or review/decisions for resident applicants. Fall transcripts are due by Feb 1 and decisions are typically made before that date.
 
Where do equestrian riding hours/competitions go? Should it go under animal experience hours or extracurricular activities?
 
Where do equestrian riding hours/competitions go? Should it go under animal experience hours or extracurricular activities?
NC State recommends listing equestrian hours in the animal experience category.

Here is our information regarding veterinary and animal experience on our website...

Veterinary Experience A minimum of 200 hours of clinical, medical, agribusiness, health science or medical related scientific research experience is required by the time of application. Experience can be obtained in any area of the veterinary medical profession (small animal, large animal, research, food animal production, exotic, aquatic, wildlife, zoological medicine, etc.). The work can be either paid or voluntary and must be completed under the supervision of a veterinarian (or PhD scientist if scientific research). Applicants will be evaluated on the ability to demonstrate how the experience helped shaped his or her understanding of the profession by description of experience and level of duties.

Animal Experience All other animal related experiences will also be evaluated, such as working with livestock, breeding/ showing dogs or similar, working at a zoo, aquarium or pet shop, equestrian activities, volunteer time at an animal shelter/rescue, etc., and these should be included in the “Animal Experience” section of the VMCAS application.

Unlike veterinary experience, there is no minimum contact time required for animal experience. However, please note that this category doesn’t include companion pet ownership.
 
Does taking 2 different classes the fulfill the same prerequisite count as retakes?

Example 1: Organic Chemistry at NCSU and Organic Chemistry at Wake Tech
Example 2: Stats 311 at NCSU and Stats 511 at NCSU

Would both scenarios count as retakes or maybe just #1? Or neither?
 
Does taking 2 different classes the fulfill the same prerequisite count as retakes?

Example 1: Organic Chemistry at NCSU and Organic Chemistry at Wake Tech
Example 2: Stats 311 at NCSU and Stats 511 at NCSU

Would both scenarios count as retakes or maybe just #1? Or neither?
It will depend on the prerequisite and the content of the courses in question.

In the example you provided, NC State will count both courses toward the Required Course GPA in both Organic Chemistry and Statistics.
 
2026-27 NC State CVM Application Cycle Timeline

Mid-January VMCAS Goes Live (date varies annually)

Mid-May Individual School Portal Opens in VMCAS (date varies annually)

September 15 VMCAS and NC State CVM Supplemental Application Deadline (submitted through VMCAS by 11:59pm ET)

October 9 NC State CVM Supplemental Application Fee Deadline (1:00pm ET)

October 10 Student Services Office receives the last of the applications from VMCAS and begins to prepare individual files for admissions requirement clearance.

October - December Non-Resident Application Review

On or Before January 31 Non-Resident Admission Decision Notification

January - February Resident Application Review

On or Before March 1 Resident Admission Decision Notification

April 15 Applicants Deadline to Accept or Decline Offer of Admissions
 
As a non-trad applicant, I have a lot of random work experience, and experiences from over 10 years ago that aren’t majorly relevant to Vet med.
Would including too many experiences hurt my application?

Thanks🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a non-trad applicant, I have a lot of random work experience, and experiences from over 10 years ago that aren’t majorly relevant to Vet med.
Would including too many experiences hurt my application?

Thanks🙂
Please include your experiences in order to provide a full picture of your candidacy to the committee.
 
Please make sure you meet all admission requirements before submitting an application.

In the 2026 cycle, NC State disqualified 991 (907 non-resident and 84 resident) applicants for not meeting admission standards.

This figure represents 34% of the applicant pool.

Applying to veterinary school requires a significant allocation of time and financial resources. Use them judiciously.
 
Please make sure you meet all admission requirements before submitting an application.

In the 2026 cycle, NC State disqualified 991 (907 non-resident and 84 resident) applicants for not meeting admission standards.

This figure represents 34% of the applicant pool.

Applying to veterinary school requires a significant allocation of time and financial resources. Use them judiciously.
I have AP statistics listed on my college transcript.
Will this satisfy the statistics prerequisite listed for NC State?
 
I have AP statistics listed on my college transcript.
Will this satisfy the statistics prerequisite listed for NC State?
Advanced Placement (AP) courses can be used to fulfill prerequisites. The applicant’s undergraduate institution must list the AP course by name (Biology, English, etc.) on its transcript indicating the number of credits granted. AP courses are not considered when calculating grade point averages.
 
Before you submit your application to NC State, please verify the following:

o GPA will meet or exceed published standards

o 200 Hours of Veterinary Experience completed at time of application

o Achieved a grade of C- or better in prerequisites (can't retake a course during the cycle to achieve the C- or better)

o Are not re-taking a course during the cycle to achieve the C- or better

o Have no more than two (2) prerequisites outstanding in the spring semester of the application cycle

o Do not plan prerequisite coursework for next summer (summer immediately preceding matriculation). It is not permitted.

o Check-in with reference writers to confirm LORs will be submitted to VMCAS by the deadline

o Send an official copy of all transcripts to be received by VMCAS by application deadline
 
Where Do I Find the Supplemental Application?
The NC State supplemental application questions are located in the NC State portal, "Program Materials" page," within VMCAS. Look for the "Program Questions" tab.

We've attached a PDF with visual instructions.

Both the VMCAS and NC State supplemental applications are due on the same deadline - September 15, 2026 at 11:59pm ET.

Upon submission of the VMCAS/supplemental application and download in the NC State admissions software, applicants will receive information on completing payment for the required supplemental application fee. This process (and supplemental fee notification) normally begins in early to mid August.
 

Attachments

LETTERS of RECOMMENDATION

Three (3) recommendations are required using the VMCAS Electronic Evaluation system (eLOR). Each evaluator should include a written narrative that supports his or her overall evaluation of the applicant. Applicants must submit letters through the eLOR system. Although VMCAS allows a maximum of 6 submissions, NC State only requires 3 letters of recommendation and prefers to only receive 3 letters per applicant if possible. All letters submitted will be read by the admissions committee; applicants can't designate which letters they wish to be read.

It is highly recommended that two recommendations (2) are submitted by veterinarians or PhD scientists with whom the applicant has worked in a veterinary or research setting. The letters must describe the nature of the work relationship. The third letter can be from an academic advisor, employment supervisor or other evaluator of the applicant’s choosing who has some working knowledge of the applicant. Applicants should not ask relatives to submit letters on their behalf.

Evaluations should support experiences listed and validate maturity, commitment and work ethic with specific examples. The admissions committee may contact references directly if further information or clarification is required.

Additional information for reference writers can be found here.

The three (3) letters must be received by the VMCAS deadline of 09/15/2026 at 11:59pmET in order to count toward verification. Applicants with less than three letters of recommendation will not be verified and will not be reviewed by NC State.

NC State doesn't extend the deadline and will not accept letters of recommendation outside of VMCAS.


Thank you for your interest in NC State University.
 
I read on NC State’s website that the deadline for residency is October 30th. If I receive my RCN after I submit my VMCAS / after September 15th, how can I notify the admissions committee of my residency status?
 
I read on NC State’s website that the deadline for residency is October 30th. If I receive my RCN after I submit my VMCAS / after September 15th, how can I notify the admissions committee of my residency status?
We will contact all applicants who need to need to certify residency status by October 30 with instructions on what to do.

Starting October 31, applicants will be reviewed in the residency pool (OOS v. IS) as of the October 30 status.

All applicants who claim NC Residency are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Residency Determination Service and its regulations.
 
Please make sure you meet all admission requirements before submitting an application.

In the 2026 cycle, NC State disqualified 991 (907 non-resident and 84 resident) applicants for not meeting admission standards.

This figure represents 34% of the applicant pool.

Applying to veterinary school requires a significant allocation of time and financial resources. Use them judiciously.
Hello! First-time applicant here.

I am in the process of entering prerequisites and am a little stuck. My undergrad only offered Organic Chemistry 1 (3 credits) and Organic Chemistry 2 (3 credits) without labs, then Organic Chemistry Laboratory (3 credits), which covered content from both Organic 1 and 2.

My question is: can I list the Organic Chemistry Lab course under both Organic 1 and 2 requirements to fulfill the requirement of having a lab? It would be the same course used to fulfill two requirements, so this is my concern.
 
Hello! First-time applicant here.

I am in the process of entering prerequisites and am a little stuck. My undergrad only offered Organic Chemistry 1 (3 credits) and Organic Chemistry 2 (3 credits) without labs, then Organic Chemistry Laboratory (3 credits), which covered content from both Organic 1 and 2.

My question is: can I list the Organic Chemistry Lab course under both Organic 1 and 2 requirements to fulfill the requirement of having a lab? It would be the same course used to fulfill two requirements, so this is my concern.
We ask that applicants only list a course once; don't double list it. If the chemistry sequence is 3-3-2 or 3-3-3, we will accept the lab as meeting the lab requirement for both Org Chem 1 and Org Chem 2.

Please don't list the same course twice or list more courses than necessary to meet a requirement (eg. five Humanities and Social Sciences courses when we only require six credits for that category). This requires us to deselect courses which slows the review process down and takes longer to make decisions and send notification to applicants.
 
Hi! I just wanted to double check something before I submit my application. I am taking one of my prerequisites this semester at a college that I have never attended before, so I do not have a transcript from that school yet since I have never completed any courses there.

I still added the college to VMCAS and entered the course I am currently taking, along with my planned coursework for next semester, in the correct section.

Would it be okay to submit my application without a transcript from that school since there are no completed courses to report yet? I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly since I know transcripts are normally required from all colleges attended.

Thank you so much!
 
Hi! I just wanted to double check something before I submit my application. I am taking one of my prerequisites this semester at a college that I have never attended before, so I do not have a transcript from that school yet since I have never completed any courses there.

I still added the college to VMCAS and entered the course I am currently taking, along with my planned coursework for next semester, in the correct section.

Would it be okay to submit my application without a transcript from that school since there are no completed courses to report yet? I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly since I know transcripts are normally required from all colleges attended.

Thank you so much!
Yes, you can submit the application. VMCAS will see from your data entry that the courses are either "in progress" for fall or "planned" for spring. Applicants will be directed to send fall 2026 and/or spring 2027 transcripts at the appropriate time in the admissions cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REMINDER - The deadline is quickly approaching, ONE WEEK AWAY!

***************Now is the time to apply.***********************

The NC State DVM Program thanks you for your interest in our program.

You can learn more by accessing our website.

The NC State supplemental application questions are located in the NC State "Materials Page," within the VMCAS portal.

Look for the "Program Questions" tab.

Both VMCAS and the NC State supplemental applications are due on the same deadline - September 15, 2026 at 11:59pm ET.

Upon submission and upload of the VMCAS/supplemental application at NC State, applicants will receive information on completing payment for the required supplemental application fee.

NOTE: If you wait until the deadline to apply, you will submit the NC State supplemental fee after the VMCAS deadline - THIS IS OKAY. You will receive information on completing payment for the required supplemental application fee.

We wish you all the best in the 2027 admissions cycle.
 

Attachments

After my application has been submitted and verified, when will NCSU send me the information on paying the supplemental fee?
 
After my application has been submitted and verified, when will NCSU send me the information on paying the supplemental fee?
It took around 3 business days for me (which was actually 5 days for me since I submitted my app on Thursday)
 
After my application has been submitted and verified, when will NCSU send me the information on paying the supplemental fee?
Processing time at VMCAS will slow over the next two weeks as the majority of applications are submitted. NC State will receive 1800-2000 applications in the next two weeks (we've already received 1240).

If an applicant waits until the week of the deadline to apply, he or she will likely submit the NC State supplemental fee after the VMCAS deadline -THIS IS OKAY.
You will receive instructions on completing payment for the required supplemental application fee once we process your application from VMCAS.
 
Last edited:
IMPORTANT REMINDER
Upon submission and upload of the verified VMCAS/supplemental application at NC State, applicants will receive information on completing payment for the required supplemental application fee.

NOTE: If you wait until the week of the deadline to apply, you will likely submit the NC State supplemental fee after the VMCAS deadline - THIS IS OKAY. You will receive information on completing payment for the required supplemental application fee once the verified VMCAS is received.

Again, this can take several days during the week of the deadline due to the increased volume of application traffic. We estimate that 2000 of the anticipated 3000 applications will arrive in the next 7-10 days.

It is unnecessary to call or e-mail about this part of the process.

Your patience is appreciated.
 
Hello! I'm finishing matching my prerequisites before I submit and had a few questions:

1. Do I match every attempt? They are already marked as a repeated course in transcript entry. For example, if I took General Chemistry 1 three times do I add all three attempts in the Chemistry 1, General prerequisite match? Would doing so interfere with the "minimum grade 1.7" that is listed? If I add all attempts my minimum gpa for that course would be below 1.7, even though I received an A on my final attempt. Or does the minimum grade component only look at the highest grade attempt.
2. If I took a course at one university then retook it at another, do I match both courses? I read that VMCAS only counts repeated courses if they are at the same university and the same course.
3. I am an English and Math major and have multiple courses that could fulfill a prerequisite for the composition and statistics categories. Do I match every course or do I pick the one with the highest grade?

Thank you!
 
Hello! I'm finishing matching my prerequisites before I submit and had a few questions:

1. Do I match every attempt? They are already marked as a repeated course in transcript entry. For example, if I took General Chemistry 1 three times do I add all three attempts in the Chemistry 1, General prerequisite match? Would doing so interfere with the "minimum grade 1.7" that is listed? If I add all attempts my minimum gpa for that course would be below 1.7, even though I received an A on my final attempt. Or does the minimum grade component only look at the highest grade attempt.
2. If I took a course at one university then retook it at another, do I match both courses? I read that VMCAS only counts repeated courses if they are at the same university and the same course.
3. I am an English and Math major and have multiple courses that could fulfill a prerequisite for the composition and statistics categories. Do I match every course or do I pick the one with the highest grade?

Thank you!
In response to your questions...
1. NC State counts all attempts in the Prerequisite (Required Course) GPA calculation.
2. Yes, NC State counts all attempts in the Prerequisite (Required Course) GPA calculation regardless if the prerequisite(s) was taken at different institutions.
3. NO. Only list the required number of credits to fulfill the prerequisite (unless you repeated the courses).
 
@NCSU CVM Thank you for all you do with updates during the application and admission cycle! I appreciate you. I am curious, does admissions start reviewing applications only after the deadline or do they try and get a head start with those that submit early? I know there's no priority given either way but since there are SOOO many applications each year I could see them working on things as soon as they start coming in. I am always amazed at the timely manner results come out in given the quantity, especially since OOS hears back first which is the biggest pool with only ~25 accepted.

@everyone else, Which do think is more stressful, filling out and submitting your VMCAS or being on the admissions committee selecting who gets in and who doesn't?? Personally, I think the admissions committee would be more stressful because I know its gotta be hard to make the decisions with so many qualified applicants and you have the weight of knowing the major impact of your decision has on other people.
 
@NCSU CVM Thank you for all you do with updates during the application and admission cycle! I appreciate you. I am curious, does admissions start reviewing applications only after the deadline or do they try and get a head start with those that submit early? I know there's no priority given either way but since there are SOOO many applications each year I could see them working on things as soon as they start coming in. I am always amazed at the timely manner results come out in given the quantity, especially since OOS hears back first which is the biggest pool with only ~25 accepted.

@everyone else, Which do think is more stressful, filling out and submitting your VMCAS or being on the admissions committee selecting who gets in and who doesn't?? Personally, I think the admissions committee would be more stressful because I know its gotta be hard to make the decisions with so many qualified applicants and you have the weight of knowing the major impact of your decision has on other people.
We thank you for the kind words and hope you find the direct contact with the Admissions Office helpful.

Our review normally starts in late July/early August once we receive 50-75 applications. This is file preparation for the committee. Around 1000 applications have already been processed.

As stated before, nearly 70% of the applicant pool waits until the week of the deadline to submit which, this year, translates to an estimated 2100 of an anticipated 3000 total applications. Fun times!

We truly appreciate the interest in our program and will be in touch throughout the cycle.
 
Which do think is more stressful, filling out and submitting your VMCAS or being on the admissions committee selecting who gets in and who doesn't??
I think it’s more stressful to fill out VMCAS and submit because, for many, it’s a first time whereas committees tend to know what to look for in applicants.

Still, I’m super excited for this cycle! Best of luck!
 
@NCSU CVM Thank you for all you do with updates during the application and admission cycle! I appreciate you. I am curious, does admissions start reviewing applications only after the deadline or do they try and get a head start with those that submit early? I know there's no priority given either way but since there are SOOO many applications each year I could see them working on things as soon as they start coming in. I am always amazed at the timely manner results come out in given the quantity, especially since OOS hears back first which is the biggest pool with only ~25 accepted.

@everyone else, Which do think is more stressful, filling out and submitting your VMCAS or being on the admissions committee selecting who gets in and who doesn't?? Personally, I think the admissions committee would be more stressful because I know its gotta be hard to make the decisions with so many qualified applicants and you have the weight of knowing the major impact of your decision has on other people.
I've always thought it'd be kinda fun to be on an admissions committee (though it's definitely more difficult than I make it out to be in my head). I love hearing about people's essays, especially when people interpret the prompts completely different from me, and I'd rather read a ton of them than write my personal statement again!