NC Supreme Court rules CRNA can be held responsible for case outcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a study person come into my room to chew me out the other day for not getting labs when I started the patient's IV even though this scolding was the very first time I heard about the study. Apparently the plastic bag with tubes was stapled to the back of their chart (which I did not pick up because their signed anesthesia consent was already on top of it) and the holding nurse (who I never saw) gestured to them and said "here, these" (not that those words would have conveyed "get labs" since I didn't know about the study, but also s/he certainly didn't say them to me).
"Here's a tourniquet and a butterfly, knock yourself out..."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Had a study person come into my room to chew me out the other day for not getting labs when I started the patient's IV even though this scolding was the very first time I heard about the study. Apparently the plastic bag with tubes was stapled to the back of their chart (which I did not pick up because their signed anesthesia consent was already on top of it) and the holding nurse (who I never saw) gestured to them and said "here, these" (not that those words would have conveyed "get labs" since I didn't know about the study, but also s/he certainly didn't say them to me).
Study person chewing you out, in your OR? GTFOH.
We support their research as a courtesy.
“Draw it yourself and get out. We can talk about your failure to notify me this patient was in a study later.”
✌️

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The other common idiom is "its not brain surgery" but I guess it wouldn't illustrate the point here

My attending used to say “I can teach a monkey how to intubate…”

“… but I cannot teach him why…”

Manual tasks can be taught, I certainly hope brain surgeons who trained for 15 years can tell me why. (Doing my aana math here…..)

Last edited:

You start IVs?

And what’s a chart?

Reactions: 1 user

I would speak with whoever is running the study because this sounds ridiculous

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. Kids get admitted to the hospital and they get IVs placed magically without anesthesia. I think we go overboard with masking the kids down first.

I once had a nurse write a formal complaint about me because I put in an IV in the OR on a kid pre induction…. The kid had received versed and has trisomy 21 with a low grade congenital cardiac defect. This speaks to the cultural defect where it’s expected that everyone needs a mask induction first.

The serving of kids is especially crazy with my pediatric attendings. Like I understand getting an Iv isn’t the greatest but I’m positive a 7 year old can get an IV without general anesthesia. My parents would have been completely fine if I needed surgery and the anesthesiologist was like “it’s much safer to do the IV now”

The serving of kids is especially crazy with my pediatric attendings. Like I understand getting an Iv isn’t the greatest but I’m positive a 7 year old can get an IV without general anesthesia. My parents would have been completely fine if I needed surgery and the anesthesiologist was like “it’s much safer to do the IV now”
Waiting until after induction to do the first IV feels like a skydiver waiting until after they've jumped off the helicopter to see if their parachute works.

Waiting until after induction to do the first IV feels like a skydiver waiting until after they've jumped off the helicopter to see if their parachute works.
More like, waiting till they've jumped out before they PUT ON the parachute.

• Haha
Wait until you see some dummy orthopod who can’t wait….. he’s asleep, can’t we just start?!
Fuk no!
We've got a GI guy inserting scopes before the propofol is even drawn up. Uh, remind me why I'm here?

We've got a GI guy inserting scopes before the propofol is even drawn up. Uh, remind me why I'm here?

Mine pretty much did that to me. Pushed the med, waited 5 seconds, put scope down my throat while I gagged hard on it. I saw him maneuver the scope for and felt some of biopsies. Then I was finally out. Sucked big time.

He also did the informed consent while literally talking like an auctioneer.

• Wow