NC vs VA residence opinion.

Started by kalle001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kalle001

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm looking for some opinions on whether I should keep my NC residence or change it to VA.

Background: Grew up in NC went to community college there. Married my husband who is in the military and got stationed in Virginia where I'm currently at an University. I'm currently paying in state tuition since I'm a mil spouse, but next year my husband is getting out and if I want to stay at my university I need to change to VA and if I don't I will have to transfer to an University back in NC(due to not being able to afford OOS tuition). Currently I have a 3.8 at my school and my cumulative is about a 3.6ish.

I'm also trying to choose based on med school options in each state and which I should be an IS in rather than OOS. Then of course I'm considering staying due to not wanting another transfer under my belt.

Any advice is appreciated on both the transfers and medical school options(that take in consideration OOS vs IS) I will have in each state.
 
You should make a list of the pros and cons of each place. Where would you go in NC? Where would you go in VA? NC has quite a few medical schools, but the only two instate that I'm aware of (without researching) is UNC and ECU. There's WFU, Duke, and Campbell, too. How much more of your premed reqs do you need? Where are you currently attending (if you don't mind sharing) in VA? Just curious if the ranking of your postbacc school is any better than where you would go in NC if you returned. With your husband going civilian soon, I would consider what his job prospects would be back in the workforce, proximity to VA hospital (if necessary), and the cost of living where you'd live. It really just boils down to what your heart says and what you want. If you have kids (or are planning to), I'd look at school districts, too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Where would you go in NC? Where would you go in VA?"

-undergrad in NC: NCSU
-Medical in NC: Only publics really would be CH, but I'd apply to Brody as well. Then of course I'd try for Duke and WF but idk if I could get in especially to duke that'd be a super long shot.
-Medical in VA: I have interest in UVA, VT, and VCOM



"How much more of your premed reqs do you need? Where are you currently attending (if you don't mind sharing) in VA?"

-I lost credit when I transferred and originally considered Nursing when I didn't think MS was possible so I can't graduate until Fall of 17 but I have enough credits to be a junior. I have the maths and chem 1 done. Signed up this semester for the physics and bio. Following semester would be physics, bio, and chem 2. I currently go to Old Dominion University. It would be after this upcoming Spring semester when I would have to transfer if that is what I do.I also have all the English, psych and sociology needed.
 
You're in the Old Dominion area but have no interest in EVMS?

There's also VCU, which gives preference to in-state.

(Source: Virginia resident)
 
I would talk to the admissions departments for all schools and research the tuition for all. If you plan to go with VA, establishing residency in VA would be better done sooner than later, since you'd need at least 12 months to qualify. I'd also look at whether any of the schools have preference over instate vs. out of state candidates. Assuming you do well in all the rest of your classes, and you destroy the MCAT, you should be pretty competitive wherever you apply. You also need to factor in volunteerism and clinical experience, if you haven't done any yet. The sooner you establish that, the longer you can do that prior to applying. Just a thought 🙂
 
I would talk to the admissions departments for all schools and research the tuition for all. If you plan to go with VA, establishing residency in VA would be better done sooner than later, since you'd need at least 12 months to qualify. I'd also look at whether any of the schools have preference over instate vs. out of state candidates. Assuming you do well in all the rest of your classes, and you destroy the MCAT, you should be pretty competitive wherever you apply. You also need to factor in volunteerism and clinical experience, if you haven't done any yet. The sooner you establish that, the longer you can do that prior to applying. Just a thought 🙂


Honestly I'm pretty nervous about the MCAT! :/ As for clinical experience I worked as a CNA in NC for about two years before moving here..this would count right? Since I don't know the area here I'm pretty lost about where I should volunteer, but thankfully my A and P professor does Prehealth seminars at my school and hopefully he can give me some advice on volunteer and ECs.

I'm having trouble really finding out if VCOM, VT and UVA are preferential to IS vs OOS I keep finding conflicting answers online.

Thank you for all your help I appreciate it!!
 
You're in the Old Dominion area but have no interest in EVMS?

There's also VCU, which gives preference to in-state.

(Source: Virginia resident)


As a VA resident you wouldn't happen to know if UVA, VT and VCOM are preferential to IS vs OOS would you? Everywhere I could find online about it gives me conflicting answers.
 
UVA not really, about half their students are OOS as far as I can tell. Virginia residents do get in-state tuition privileges, though. They have you fill out a form when you apply if you consider yourself in-state.

VT I have no idea.

VCOM I believe has a regional preference for VA/NC/SC, especially Appalachian regions. Note that VCOM has three campuses (VA, SC, and AL).
 
UVA not really, about half their students are OOS as far as I can tell. Virginia residents do get in-state tuition privileges, though. They have you fill out a form when you apply if you consider yourself in-state.

VT I have no idea.

VCOM I believe has a regional preference for VA/NC/SC, especially Appalachian regions. Note that VCOM has three campuses (VA, SC, and AL).


What I happened to see about UVA was they don't necessarily prefer out of state and they do it half and half, but the Out of state has way more(like 3000 more) applicants so the IS have less competition..maybe that's accurate I'm not sure? As for VCOM I didn't know about the regional preference but that works for either option I go with so thank you!
 
What I happened to see about UVA was they don't necessarily prefer out of state and they do it half and half, but the Out of state has way more(like 3000 more) applicants so the IS have less competition..maybe that's accurate I'm not sure? As for VCOM I didn't know about the regional preference but that works for either option I go with so thank you!

I think the more important thing is establishing whether you're competitive, IS or OOS. UVA is a stats powerhouse, so if you're looking at them then keep that GPA up and take a wrecking ball to the MCAT for real. Make sure your ECs are solid. You seem to be in a good starting place.
 
I think the more important thing is establishing whether you're competitive, IS or OOS. UVA is a stats powerhouse, so if you're looking at them then keep that GPA up and take a wrecking ball to the MCAT for real. Make sure your ECs are solid. You seem to be in a good starting place.


Thank you again for all your help! If I finish about a 3.7 cumulative do you have any recommendations on where I should try and get my MCAT score at? From what I read 507 is the new 30 so I was thinking about like 513ish? Or is that completely off? Lol
 
Thank you again for all your help! If I finish about a 3.7 cumulative do you have any recommendations on where I should try and get my MCAT score at? From what I read 507 is the new 30 so I was thinking about like 513ish? Or is that completely off? Lol

I took the old MCAT and honestly haven't kept up with the new hotness, so I can't say off the top of my head, sorry. If you search on SDN or google there's a wealth of info about the new percentiles though.

Mind your sGPA too. According to what I've seen from the AAMC, sGPA is often ranked before cGPA in what schools look at so keep that nice and prime.
 
Go with where you want to live and where your husband can find a job. Be ready to move again to start med school. Don't sweat the multiple transcripts.

Be vigilant about the details in how you get residency determination. You should get plenty of leeway as former military, certainly in NC and VA, but it's on you to know what each school & state requires you to prove. It may be as simple as the location of your husband's job. There's much more to this than an app-time questionnaire.

For the record, EVMS is public and 50% OOS.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ehhh, I had a similar choice to make and if I had to do it again, I'd definitely go with the other state (not VA). Compared to most state public schools (especially NC), VA doesn't do much for IS students with 50/50 OOS/IS ratios at UVA, EVMS, VCU and I think VTC too. Also the tuition discounts for IS students are much better at the NC schools.
 
Ehhh, I had a similar choice to make and if I had to do it again, I'd definitely go with the other state (not VA). Compared to most state public schools (especially NC), VA doesn't do much for IS students with 50/50 OOS/IS ratios at UVA, EVMS, VCU and I think VTC too. Also the tuition discounts for IS students are much better at the NC schools.


Thank you! I've thankfully found out I can keep my NC residency and not pay OOS tuition for the school I go to in VA so, I may end up keeping my NC especially for UNC