NDB Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quest_life

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Sterilization of dental burs is effectively accomplished without corrosion by using which of the following ?

a) unsaturated chemical vapours
b) quaternary ammonium compounds
c) ultrasonic cleansing
d) autoclaving
e) idophors

2) Aspiration of food can result in any of the following except one :

a) Pneumonia
b) Pneumothorax
c) Lung abscess
d) Absorption atelectasis
E) death from asphyxiation

Could someone explain the answer choices too ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

acc. to me

1) Sterilization of dental burs is effectively accomplished without corrosion by using which of the following ?

c) ultrasonic cleansing
d) autoclaving (ans)
e) idophors

a) Pneumonia
b) Pneumothorax (ans)
c) Lung abscess

Thanks

Unsaturated Chemical-Vapor Sterilization. Unsaturated chemical-vapor sterilization involves heating a chemical solution of primarily alcohol with 0.23% formaldehyde in a closed pressurized chamber. Unsaturated chemical vapor sterilization of carbon steel instruments (e.g., dental burs) causes less corrosion than steam sterilization because of the low level of water present during the cycle. Instruments should be dry before sterilizing. State and local authorities should be consulted for hazardous waste disposal requirements for the sterilizing solution.

And a big disadvantage of autoclaving (steam under pressure) is corrosion. The question does not want a method to cause corrosion. So at least autoclaving cant be answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused:

c) ultrasonic cleansing
d) autoclaving
e) idophors

a) Pneumonia
b) Pneumothorax
c) Lung abscess

Thanks

:idea:
ok # 1 is A BECAUSE:

Unsaturated chemical vapor 20 min at 270 F
(20-40 psi) Time efficient; No corrosion; Items dry quickly after cycle AND Sterilizing conditions in your office sterilizer should be defined by results of routine spore-testing. for ADA approved

And b c and e is no sufficient :idea:

ok the second one is D

because :sleep: all they can happen for example C if thes can of food is contaminated or is vomit and A in same way can be too so the corret is D

my doc if you say that Atelectasis implies some blockage of a bronchiole or bronchus. Lung partly or wholly is collapsed with or without air.

Pneumothorax occurs due to disease (chronic/acute) or injury. So this can be the answer

in that case you have the rason my friend because my D ansuer can be Aspiration of solid material causes atelectasis the dont say wat can of food jejeeje

Thank you Indian Dentist and Mangosta for your replies, here is more :

1) What is the net charge on glutamic acid at a ph of 1 ?

a) +2
b) +1
c) 0
d) -1
e) -2

Can someone explain how to solve this ?

Also how do we calculate ph when (OH) = 5.2 ?

Thank you

Thatz true. Atleatiasis.... occurs due to blockage of Brochonus bronchi and the blockge can be due to aspirated food also. I know very well that lung abcess, pneumonia can also occurs due to infection of aspirated material etc.

But the question is asking which one is NOT associated wth food aspiration? . And ADA loves questions wth EXCEPT FOR

Can someone help me this these qns plz ?

a) +2
b) +1
c) 0
d) -1
e) -2

Also how do we calculate ph when (OH) = 5.2 ?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

a) +2
b) +1
c) 0
d) -1
e) -2

Glutamic acid has a negative charge of -1 at physiologic ph or neutral ph(7) , and its isoelectric point is a 4.0(neutral or not charged), so at an acid environment of 1 it would be positively charged, +1, because above its isolectric point is deprotonates or negatively charged( coo-) and below its isolectric point it would be protronated or positively charged(cooH). the answer is b

how to calculate ph when poh= 5.2

14= ph+ poh
14-5.2= ph
8.8=ph

I hope this would help you

hi
can you please explain the first ques.
if glutamic acid protonates at ph 4 then it is neutral. it can not possibly protonate any further to get a charge of +1.

in that case should the answer not be 0.

thankyou in advance

a) +2
b) +1
c) 0
d) -1
e) -2

Glutamic acid has a negative charge of -1 at physiologic ph or neutral ph(7) , and its isoelectric point is a 4.0(neutral or not charged), so at an acid environment of 1 it would be positively charged, +1, because above its isolectric point is deprotonates or negatively charged( coo-) and below its isolectric point it would be protronated or positively charged(cooH). the answer is b

how to calculate ph when poh= 5.2

14= ph+ poh
14-5.2= ph
8.8=ph

I hope this would help you

:confused:

:idea:
ok # 1 is A BECAUSE:

Unsaturated chemical vapor 20 min at 270 F
(20-40 psi) Time efficient; No corrosion; Items dry quickly after cycle AND Sterilizing conditions in your office sterilizer should be defined by results of routine spore-testing. for ADA approved

And b c and e is no sufficient :idea:

ok the second one is D

because :sleep: all they can happen for example C if thes can of food is contaminated or is vomit and A in same way can be too so the corret is D

hey mangosta,thanks ...........good explaination!