NDBE retaking banned effective from 2010:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did not know that we will be allowed to take NDBE just once (effective from 2010).
It seems to me that it could not be a good news at all.I won't be able to take NDBE 1 sooner than 2010.So, I will be permitted to take it just once if I will pass it at my 1st attempt?
It would not be fair since in the 2010 admission cycle ,1-time NDBE takers will be in the same boat as several time test takers.(Those have taken the test more than once before 2010).

For instance: Applicant A has taken NDBE for 3 times before 2010.
In his first attempt he has gotten 80.
In his Second attempt he has gotten 83.
In his last attempt, he has managed to get 90.

Applicant B has taken NDBE just once in 2010 (He won't be permitted to take it again because he has already passed it)and he has gotten 80.

In the admission cycle(for the class beginning in 2011) , won't the admission comittee consider the fact that applicant A has tried 3 times for the NDBE comparing to just one try for applicant B?

It seems very confusing to me.
Any comment would be appreciated.
Good Luck Friends,
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are over confusing yourself here, schools probably don't really look thoroughly to how many times a person has taken part 1, it is more about what have you done during your life besides how much you scored in the boards.

There is only one thing you can do and should do, just study hard and be optimistic. Part 1 is a stress inducing exam and it tends to make people worry and start creating scenarios like that. Just don't fall into this kind of psychological traps.

Good luck :xf:

Hi guys,

I did not know that we will be allowed to take NDBE just once (effective from 2010).
It seems to me that it could not be a good news at all.I won't be able to take NDBE 1 sooner than 2010.So, I will be permitted to take it just once if I will pass it at my 1st attempt?
It would not be fair since in the 2010 admission cycle ,1-time NDBE takers will be in the same boat as several time test takers.(Those have taken the test more than once before 2010).

Applicant B has taken NDBE just once in 2010 (He won't be permitted to take it again because he has already passed it)and he has gotten 80.

In the admission cycle(for the class beginning in 2011) , won't the admission comittee consider the fact that applicant A has tried 3 times for the NDBE comparing to just one try for applicant B?

But !!! ???

My dear friend there is a possibility that applicant A is on the earth earlier ( born earlier ) than applicant B so, don't you think that they have the first right to get something available under the prevailing rules and regulations.

If you take the example of people came to US 10 years ago, they just passed the practical and since then they have been running their dental practices without 2 year of schooling. But they had fulfilled the competitive requirements of those particular situations. They have faced hard time too, to meet the requirements to get license. But now, one has to spend about 300 K for educations plus time to get a license to practice.

Secondly, when NBDE new exam format started in year 2007, everyone is aware that it is harder to get score above 90 in new format compare to old version. What happened in years of 2007 and 2008? Institutions did not consider a difference between old and new scores.

My dear friend, your point is genuine and understandable but what can somebody do?

You know time changes, things change, people change and rules change too. :idea:

My dear friend, do not worry, your hard work will take you to your destination. Everyone has to face it, do not feel alone.

Good luck :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

But !!! ???

My dear friend there is a possibility that applicant A is on the earth earlier ( born earlier ) than applicant B so, don’t you think that they have the first right to get something available under the prevailing rules and regulations.

If you take the example of people came to US 10 years ago, they just passed the practical and since then they have been running their dental practices without 2 year of schooling. But they had fulfilled the competitive requirements of those particular situations. They have faced hard time too, to meet the requirements to get license. But now, one has to spend about 300 K for educations plus time to get a license to practice.

Secondly, when NBDE new exam format started in year 2007, everyone is aware that it is harder to get score above 90 in new format compare to old version. What happened in years of 2007 and 2008? Institutions did not consider a difference between old and new scores.

My dear friend, your point is genuine and understandable but what can somebody do?

You know time changes, things change, people change and rules change too. :idea:

My dear friend, do not worry, your hard work will take you to your destination. Everyone has to face it, do not feel alone.

Good luck :thumbup:
i want to know whether this ban is for part 1&2 both or just part 1

I asked the ADA, and they replied that 'any' dental examination taken in 2010 if passed would be the final chance.

What if we take the exam on October this year and not satisfied with the score, can we still retake in 2010? I'm confused... Tnx in advance for reply.

I asked the ADA, and they replied that 'any' dental examination taken in 2010 if passed would be the final chance.

do u mean if someone take the exam in october 2009 and pass it he can take another exam in 2010 ?

The ADA had told me the same (wordings) but I have a similar doubt about the exam as the posts above so any body contact the ADA regarding this pls post.

The ADA had told me the same (wordings) but I have a similar doubt about the exam as the posts above so any body contact the ADA regarding this pls post.

Hey, I had the same doubt and contacted ADA. According to them anyone who got 75 percentile by 2009 cannot retake the exam in 2010. That means 2010, NBDE can be taken only by new test takers and those who could not get 75 for their previous attempts. Hope I am clear.

HI
I had the same doubt about 2010 and contacted ada, They said effective jan 1 2010, noone will be allowed to retake exam once they have a passing score of 75. you cannot register to take up re-exam.

Last edited:
HI
I had the same doubt about 2010 and contacted ada, They said effective jan 1 2010, noone will be allowed to retake exam once they have a passing score of 75. you cannot register to take up re-exam.
But i would like to know: ada gives you 12 months time since you register to take up the exam, even if its re exam.
So, supposing a person has already registered for re-exam in 2009, doesnt that person have 12 months to take up his exam? ie, if he registered in dec 2009 he has time till end of dec 2010 for his re-exam?
so doesnt the problem arise again with newtakers and retakers competing together atleast till 2011?
Also if anyone could help, from 2012, its going to be pass/fail. no scores will be reported. Does anyone know how this will affect selection criteria?

Gosh! this is Sidney Sheldon stuff....
Are you in such a position?
I really donno what they'll do if such a condition arises.
2012 onwards, schools may start looking at other things..who knows..maybe non-clinical exam schools such as Upenn , BU and NYU may start taking clinical exams..
No one can tell yet...

I was wondering too about that option of scheduling to retake now, but not sitting until mid 2010. I took part 1 last year in december and did horribly, but i passed (76). This is a seriously crap score but as 2009 is my final year of Dental School, I knew I wouldn't be able to put as much effort into studying to retake before the end of the year. So I've been holding off, but now if I'm stuck with that 76 I'm effed, i'll never be able to go back home :( (I'm a stupid American who made the mistake of coming to Australia to do my Dental Degree.... lured under false pretenses of accreditation promises I might add).

Anyway, I just called the ADA and confirmed that as long as you've applied in 2009 to retake the exam, you have 12 months from the time of application to sit the exam, even if that means you resit in 2010. I think I will be applying toward the end of this year just to give myself plenty of time to prepare... however I'm planning on going back home for a wedding next August, so I'll likely be combining the exam with that trip... go home, do it it within a day or two of arriving, and then celebrate having redone it and done it well!

And if horrible things should come my way and I can't retake the exam and I am stuck with that 76... does ANYONE know of any programs that i might have a smidge of hope of getting into? I'm so homesick to go back, I miss my family terribly and I'm having a moment of serious regret for choosing to come here in the first place. :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
76 - tough . Very tough.
retake is the way to go.

ok, so just to confuse things a little more ( and i apologize for this) : with regards to retakes.....do u have to wait 3 months after u take the exam the first time, before u can apply for retake or can u apply at any point after the first exam? just wondering.

i have the same doubt. if thats the case, then we can reapply this yr and get the eligibility from ADA and then schedule the exam next yr. So, no retaking is applicable to only those students who get the eligibility letter in 2010. Any idea on this guys???

I want to know this.... if you give your exam in Dec of 2009, can u register in December to take the exam again?
Do you have to wait for 3 months to register or the 3 months is for physically appearing/answering for the test?
Thanks in advance.

Notification of eligibility will not be sent to the Prometric Contact Center until at least 85 days have lapsed from the last attempt.

So, you can apply to NBDE and pay the fee but you won't be able to shedule an appointment till the 85 days are over.

I want to know this.... if you give your exam in Dec of 2009, can u register in December to take the exam again?
Do you have to wait for 3 months to register or the 3 months is for physically appearing/answering for the test?
Thanks in advance.

This is what their policy says:

You may apply for reexamination at any time. However, notification of eligibility will not be sent to the Prometric Contact Center until at least 85 days have lapsed from the last attempt. When the notification of eligibility has been sent to Prometric, an e-mail (or letter via U.S. mail if no e-mail address is on file) will be sent to the candidate instructing him/her to call the Prometric Contact Center at 800.688.5804 to schedule an examination appointment. A minimum of 90 days must separate a candidate’s reexaminations on the NBDE Part I.
Effective January 2010, candidates who pass the NBDE Part I may not retake the examination unless required to do so by a state board or relevant regulatory agency.

hi, i took part-1 in june & got 84...I am really worried and thinking about retaking exam..but i want to take it in next feb..only after knowing my chance in NYU..so is it possible to get an eligibility no. this year and take exam in next year ?

hi, i took part-1 in june & got 84...I am really worried and thinking about retaking exam..but i want to take it in next feb..only after knowing my chance in NYU..so is it possible to get an eligibility no. this year and take exam in next year ?

If you read the entire thread then it seems you can get ur eligibility this year and book ur exam within 12 months.
BUT, YOU SHOULD CALL UP ADA and confirm with them.. they'll tell you best.
Their policy in the NBDE guide (as of MARCH 2009, check the latest at their site) says you can't retake an exam (if you passed) effective Jan 2010.this policy has been quoted by someone above.
what else can i say - CALL THEM!
and let us know!

I want to retake the exam in 2010 and emailed ADA about it , they replied as follows:
"Starting 2010, no rexamination of part 1 if you passed the exam already."
I don't understand if this applies to those who will take their exam first time in 2010 or to candidates like me also who passed the exam prior to 2010.
Anybody here, please suggest...

hi friends,
i have doubt too as i have taken my eligibility no. for part2. And as i want to retake part1 then do i need a gap of 3 months b/w these 2 exams too. Can i take eligibility no. for part1 also now to give exam in 2010? pls let me know. Or this time gap is b/w same exam only?

I read the on the ADA website that,

"An eligibility requirement that internationally trained dentists, from non-accredited dental schools, once enrolled in a predoctoral dental program in the U.S. be required to request certification of the dental school dean where the students are enrolled in order to be eligible to take the National Board examinations."

Just want to clarify that, an internationally trained dentist can take NBDE, if he is not enrolled into an accredited dental school?

called ADA and found that we can not apply for nbde part1 reexamination next year 2010.

called ADA and found that we can not apply for nbde part1 reexamination next year 2010.

I CALLED TOO AND THEY SAID WE CAN GIVE EXAM IN 2010 IF SUBMIT APPLICATION IN 2009. don't they tell this to u too?

Yes, benny4567, we have to apply this year to retake in 2010. .
i called too and they said we can give exam in 2010 if submit application in 2009. Don't they tell this to u too?