Necessary to go back to take classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashU_01_USC_04

29, 3 Years, 2 App Cycles
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 26 year old who is a non-traditional applicant.

I'm in the last stages of almost submitting my AMCAS. However, I've got a problem. UCLA, SLU, and UC Davis indicate that they don't allow AP (Advanced Placement) Credit to be used to cover prerequisites.

The only problem with this is that when I was an undergrad at Wash U, they gave me AP credit for the first year of Chemistry. Thus, I took Organic Chemistry 1, 2 my freshman year in college without ever taking the standard general inorganic chemistry courses..

Is it necessary to go back and take those basic chemistry courses again, when I've already taken higher level ones? How strict are they when it comes to AP credit. What would you do?

It's a bit late in the game now, and I'd have to go find a univ. to take the courses at. Should I apply to those schools anyways?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

WashU_01_USC_04 said:
Hi,

I'm a 26 year old who is a non-traditional applicant.

I'm in the last stages of almost submitting my AMCAS. However, I've got a problem. UCLA, SLU, and UC Davis indicate that they don't allow AP (Advanced Placement) Credit to be used to cover prerequisites.

The only problem with this is that when I was an undergrad at Wash U, they gave me AP credit for the first year of Chemistry. Thus, I took Organic Chemistry 1, 2 my freshman year in college without ever taking the standard general inorganic chemistry courses..

Is it necessary to go back and take those basic chemistry courses again, when I've already taken higher level ones? How strict are they when it comes to AP credit. What would you do?

It's a bit late in the game now, and I'd have to go find a univ. to take the courses at. Should I apply to those schools anyways?

Thanks.

Try calling them and speaking with Admissions officer/Director about your situation. No point in wasting money & energy (the UCLA sec has quite a few essays) to apply if you're going to be rejected for pre-req. requirements.

I'm also non-trad and applying to UCLA out-of-state. I, too, took orgo instead of gen chem freshman year. The "no AP credit accepted" policy almost turned me away from applying, but I called the office & told them my situation. I was a chem major so it seemed kind of ridiculous that I'd have to re-take a class I passed out of. I think they said 2 semesters of upper-level inorganic could substitute for gen chem, but I was still shy a semester of math even though I took multivariable in college. I'm going to have to take a math (probably stat) course if I get in & decide to go. My local community college offers an online course pretty much every semester, so in the worst case I could take it next summer. Some schools require you to finish the requirement before June or July. I don't know if that's the case w/UCLA - they interview through April. I'm just going to see how it goes.

Yeah, your best bet is just to call them & ask.