Necessities for starting dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bitewing5053

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I’m going to be a D1 this fall. I’m anxiously starting to get my life ready to move to school this may. What do you all suggest I bring or get for dental school? Especially my first year? What’s something you guys can’t live without as a dental student that I should invest in?

Thanks !!!
 
Hi!

I’m going to be a D1 this fall. I’m anxiously starting to get my life ready to move to school this may. What do you all suggest I bring or get for dental school? Especially my first year? What’s something you guys can’t live without as a dental student that I should invest in?

Thanks !!!
Not a dental student yet, but having an Ipad I hear is super helpful and a worthwhile investment. I've loved it for finishing my undergrad, I can't imagine going to dental school without mine, I actually think it's more important than my computer right now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good and functional tech equipment (laptop, iPad (Apple Pencil is a great one), headphones)

Biggest thing is getting your nutrition, hydration and workout habits in order as well. It's too easy during dental school to develop poor dietary and become sedentary once you get "busy" with the classes and exams.
 
Hi!

I’m going to be a D1 this fall. I’m anxiously starting to get my life ready to move to school this may. What do you all suggest I bring or get for dental school? Especially my first year? What’s something you guys can’t live without as a dental student that I should invest in?

Thanks !!!
The physical stuff you bring to the start of DS is not as important as the "preparation" you bring to DS.

Think about getting ahead in "life" issues
Use this time to take care of life maintenance details that you will not have time for in the next 4 years. Examples would include…
  1. Car maintenance. (Oil change, tire rotation, filters, etc.)
  2. Property maintenance. (Computer tuned-up, Organize your stuff, Toss out unneeded stuff, Pack to move, Now is a good time for a phone upgrade.)
  3. Body maintenance. (Medial exam, Eye exam, Hair cut/style, Elective surgery, no need for dental exam, Step up the work out routine, Start planning your new physical fitness plan, Get a good tan while you can, Sleep late, etc.)
  4. Mind maintenance. (Read for pleasure, Travel for fun, Relax, Sleep late, Do what you love NOW etc.)
  5. Social maintenance. (Visit with friends and relatives, Do night life NOW, Get things solid with your significant other for the next 4 years, Cut ties that need to be cut, Reach out to new classmates/roommates/neighbors, etc.)
  6. Spirit maintenance. (Rest, Read a spiritual text, Visit your old spiritual group/leaders, Locate new spiritual group/leaders, Develop a spiritual plan for the next 4 years.)
In addition, if you are moving to a new town for school, I would suggest arriving a week before school starts to get acclimated.