NECO class update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optgirl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how full the class is right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the class is full and a wait-list has been begun.

I believe the class is full and a wait-list has been begun.

How do you Know? Because, I just got invited for an interview. If it is full than they won't invite me.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just called them today actually. They said theyre not full and have about 3 more interview sessions going on.

How do you Know? Because, I just got invited for an interview. If it is full than they won't invite me.

Perhaps I'm mistaken: When I asked, during my interview, I was told they're near-capacity; I expected, by now, they'd have reached their limit.

Also, just because interviews are still being scheduled doesn't mean spots are available; the school might just be putting candidates onto its wait-list (correct me if I'm wrong about this).

she didn't know the exact numbers but said they were about 70% full right now

I interviewed there last friday and they said they were 85% full. They are still interviewing/accepting students

I have an interview there next week. Do you know how quickly they let you know if you've been accepted?

I have an interview there next week. Do you know how quickly they let you know if you've been accepted?

I had wait about 10 days. They send the letter via mail. They don't call and let you know, or at least that's how it was for me.

I can vouch for the class not being full just yet because I just got back from interviews on 4/27 and I had one with NECO last Friday (4/23) but received my acceptance letter on Monday. I'm not sure why I was lucky enough to get it so soon, but the acceptance was dated the day of. So if people are lucky enough to go back through committee that soon you may hear good news even sooner!

I can vouch for the class not being full just yet because I just got back from interviews on 4/27 and I had one with NECO last Friday (4/23) but received my acceptance letter on Monday. I'm not sure why I was lucky enough to get it so soon, but the acceptance was dated the day of. So if people are lucky enough to go back through committee that soon you may hear good news even sooner!

I also got mine the Monday after the interview 4/16.. They FedEx it and it was dated the day for the interview.. I believe they are interview tomorrow also..

This thread made me go from lurker status to member.

I'm actually going to NECO for their last round of interviews on May 14. I really hope they're not too full, as I was not too impressed with ICO's facilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually going to NECO for their last round of interviews on May 14. I really hope they're not too full, as I was not too impressed with ICO's facilities.

Really? Not to knock N.E.C.O., but I preferred I.C.O.'s facilities to theirs. Were you underwhelmed by anything in particular?

Really? Not to knock N.E.C.O., but I preferred I.C.O.'s facilities to theirs. Were you underwhelmed by anything in particular?

I HATED NECO's facilities. The building was cool that it was in a mansion and I loved the city of Boston. After thinking about the quality of the program though and the equipment I had to go with ICO. It's a no brainer when comparing facilities.

I HATED NECO's facilities. The building was cool that it was in a mansion and I loved the city of Boston. After thinking about the quality of the program though and the equipment I had to go with ICO. It's a no brainer when comparing facilities.

I think I wasn't quite so turned off by N.E.C.O.'s facilities as were you, but, yes, I didn't really love them, and certainly I preferred I.C.O.'s. Actually, what also contributed to my not favoring N.E.C.O. was its location: Boston was pretty, but I felt I'd not want to live there for (at least) a few years.

Coming from California, I wasn't too happy about the indoor lighting, brick walls, and the no-window situation in most of their rooms.

I mean, it's a minor grievance, I know, but still, it kind of made me unhappy.

I'll let you know what I think of NECO in two weeks.

JennieJoy ICO 2014... you are biased. "no brainers" don't exist in choosing your future, glad you're excited about the choice you made. at one point, I had the same choice and went down the other fork in the road and have never regretted it.

admissions committee meets every friday afternoon after the round of interviews in the morning. fast decisions are YES or NO, slower decisions are MAYBE... in which case, the committee will re-evaluate at a later meeting.

JennieJoy ICO 2014... you are biased. "no brainers" don't exist in choosing your future, glad you're excited about the choice you made. at one point, I had the same choice and went down the other fork in the road and have never regretted it.

how am i biased?

how am i biased?

You've already chosen ico. In order to avoid cognitive dissonance, it's best to reflect on the choice as though it was easy.

I wish you the best in your future career but I disagree that its a no brainer, that's all.

You've already chosen ico. In order to avoid cognitive dissonance, it's best to reflect on the choice as though it was easy.

I wish you the best in your future career but I disagree that its a no brainer, that's all.

That's a presumptuous attitude — the poster must be tricking herself into feeling her decision was easy so not to permit the threat of remorse? Maybe, for her, it was a "no-brainer." I'm not suggesting this must be an easy choice for any person to make, but if you're stating it can't be simple, for anyone, I think your claim is baseless.

That's a presumptuous attitude — the poster must be tricking herself into feeling her decision was easy so not to permit the threat of remorse? Maybe, for her, it was a "no-brainer." I'm not suggesting this must be an easy choice for any person to make, but if you're stating it can't be simple, for anyone, I think your claim is baseless.

I think both sides have been misunderstood a bit due to lack of tone and such when on the internet.

Yes, the decision can be easy for some. But hopefully everyone can understand that for folks who haven't had a chance to visit both campuses for themselves, that when they see its a "no brainer" they might incorrectly conclude that neco is not worth a visit (which I obviously disagree with)

I've visited ico before and I loved both facilities for totally different reasons, I also think both schools have excellent clinical programs.

Anyway, I apologize if I came across as presumptuous, I just don't think anything is black and white.

I think both sides have been misunderstood a bit due to lack of tone and such when on the internet.

Yes, the decision can be easy for some. But hopefully everyone can understand that for folks who haven't had a chance to visit both campuses for themselves, that when they see its a "no brainer" they might incorrectly conclude that neco is not worth a visit (which I obviously disagree with)

I've visited ico before and I loved both facilities for totally different reasons, I also think both schools have excellent clinical programs.

Anyway, I apologize if I came across as presumptuous, I just don't think anything is black and white.

For me, as well, making the decision was anything but cake: I ruled out S.U.N.Y. Optometry and N.E.C.O. without a great deal of difficulty (I'm not knocking either school; it's just, neither was right for me — I hate that, on these boards, one constantly is afraid of sounding aggressive or flippant, so falls on the reflex of making these defensive remarks); when it came down to I.C.O. and P.C.O., though, I clobbered my brain for what I think might have been weeks, avid to find an adequate number of flaws or boons in either to dismiss it with extreme prejudice or embrace it unconditionally. Of course, I did finally choose, but, in my instance, too, the process could never be called a "no-brainer."

For me, as well, making the decision was anything but cake: I ruled out S.U.N.Y. Optometry and N.E.C.O. without a great deal of difficulty (I'm not knocking either school; it's just, neither was right for me — I hate that, on these boards, one constantly is afraid of sounding aggressive or flippant, so falls on the reflex of making these defensive remarks); when it came down to I.C.O. and P.C.O., though, I clobbered my brain for what I think might have been weeks, avid to find an adequate number of flaws or boons in either to dismiss it with extreme prejudice or embrace it unconditionally. Of course, I did finally choose, but, in my instance, too, the process could never be called a "no-brainer."

I've worked as a student interviewer and we all walk on egg shells to make sure we don't come off as sounding like we are knocking another school so I think I'm probably overly careful not to.

4th year has been awesome though, getting to work with interns from other schools and seeing everyone's different strengths has been amazing.

I interviewed there two weeks ago, and I still haven't heard back from them :(
It seems that they are quick to inform the students that have gotten accepted. So, I'm taking this as a bad sign.

I interviewed there two weeks ago, and I still haven't heard back from them :(
It seems that they are quick to inform the students that have gotten accepted. So, I'm taking this as a bad sign.

Well, they're also quick to inform students that they've decided not to accept so this is better than that! Hang in there, you probably have the committee split. Good luck

I loved NECO way better than ICO. The facilities seemed similar in age and efficiency, and there were windows to look out from! :love:

I really want to get in! I was the last interview group of 12ish, and we talked to the director, who said there were about 5 seats left. Maybe 10, depending on who accepts the invite to enroll.

My decision to go ICO was an easy one for me. In no way did I mean to portray the feeling that it would be easy for everyone to decide between two schools. For me, the facilities just were not the same quality for me and I preferred the on-site clinic. I'm not mentioning anything about the curriculum though. Some people may prefer other things or be looking at different aspects then myself. I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my "biased" opinion. But, I knew the second I walked through NECO that I would not be going there and that was before I even received my acceptance from ICO.

I'm sorry for the drama that everyone is talking about, lol.

I got waitlisted at NECO :(
Anyone giving up their seat?

hey sikhangel, what was your gpa like, and how do you think the interview went? I interviewed at NECO last friday and i'm just wondering how they would decide to put someone on the waitlist. I feel like I might be in the same boat soon, because my gpa wasn't so stellar. :S

What to do...

I might be giving up a seat at NECO for ICO. I still haven't decided. My head's in Chicago but my heart is in Boston. :confused::scared::confused::scared::confused:

ICO: GREAT Alumni/job placement resource, good facilities
NECO: GREAT friendly class atmosphere (this is a biggie for me)

Ugh, I dunno what to dooooooo~~~