neco interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkdeyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm planning on going to a march 26th interview at NECO and was wondering who has already made a trip there and if there are any recommendations for hotels that are close to the college or if you recommended just getting one further away and taking a cab to the school.

also how was the interview? is it open or closed file? how long was it? and if you have any other information on what i expect when I get there that would be fabulous :)

Members don't see this ad.

NECO is not one of the schools I applied to so unfortunately I cannot help you personally.

Here's the link to the Optometry interview feedback if you haven't already used this. Good luck to you. :)

Hey I am also interviewing at NECO on the 26th :) I just read through the interview feedback, it's pretty helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got called for an interview as well. Im still debating if I want to go. Ive been accepted into PCO and UMSL already... So i dont really know if NECO is worth it for me. Im gunna decide tonight and if I can or do decide to go I think the 23rd or the 26th would be best for me as well.

yeah, they called me up today and told me about my invitation. i'm really debating whether i should go. i was just about ready to send in my final NOVA deposit too.... OIII... what am i to do???? going to boston would be awesome! but it'd definitely cost more to live there too. But i also hear from my optometrists that NECO grads don't/didn't get to see a lot of patients =/ so i REALLY don't know if i should spend more $$ for the flight and stay :confused:

yeah, they called me up today and told me about my invitation. i'm really debating whether i should go. i was just about ready to send in my final NOVA deposit too.... OIII... what am i to do???? going to boston would be awesome! but it'd definitely cost more to live there too. But i also hear from my optometrists that NECO grads don't/didn't get to see a lot of patients =/ so i REALLY don't know if i should spend more $$ for the flight and stay :confused:

Im in the same boat.. Im thinking I might just go check out regardless... maybe i'll like it better?? Hard decision.

I'm interviewing on the 26th as well! I really want to see the campus so (if I had seats at other schools) I'd still interview. It's worth it to be sure. Stay for a few more days and make a trip out of it.

Good luck!

I'm interviewing on the 26th as well! I really want to see the campus so (if I had seats at other schools) I'd still interview. It's worth it to be sure. Stay for a few more days and make a trip out of it.

Good luck!

wow! you've got balls to be spending 1k for a flight over to make it on the 26th. i'm from cali too and i'm thinking that if i go, i'll plan for the one on the 30th for cheaper tickets. unless you found a good deal...please help a colleague out!

Dont know where exactly you're from in cali but I found a flight $542 from LAX to Boston on travelocity on March 25 returing March 27. If you're from the bay, it's cheaper to fly from SFO rather than oakland or other smaller airports.

wow! you've got balls to be spending 1k for a flight over to make it on the 26th. i'm from cali too and i'm thinking that if i go, i'll plan for the one on the 30th for cheaper tickets. unless you found a good deal...please help a colleague out!

Oh man, hours and hours invested in looking for a flight. Sidestep.com and Kayak.com are very helpful and have many options to help you find the right prices at wherever you want (they both search multiple travel sites at a time).

$430 (Orbitz.com):
Flight from ONT to BOS on the 24th, and then flight back from JFK to LAX on April 1st. 1 stop each way, United Air eastward and Delta back west.

If you don't mind the stops (or don't have the wallet to make a difference) or the multiple carriers, a flight can still be found but you gotta get it soon!
I wanted to go to NYC since it was relatively close and it's my spring break. If you do a RT flight to and from boston, It can be had for about 400! Just keep looking and play with the departure dates and airports (just make SURE the airports are close and convenient enough for you).

Safe flying all,
-Jeff

PS, There are many good reviews for this hostel http://www.bostonhostel.org/ and the prices are like 30ish a night. If I can't stay with a friend, I'd stay there (doesn't seem to be too far away from the school).

What's this?? I thought the main attraction at NECO was the varied and extensive clinical exposure. Please elaborate on not seeing many patients !!

so i ended up rescheduling cause something came up. the interview is on the 9th and i'm flying out of San Diego and that makes it cheaper all around now.

does anyone know how full the class is right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's this?? I thought the main attraction at NECO was the varied and extensive clinical exposure. Please elaborate on not seeing many patients !!

i talked to my optometrist after getting the call for an interview at NECO. I asked which she would prefer and she said that 6 years ago, she talked to a couple of 4th year students from NECO and they said that they only saw roughly 6 patients. and that with the high cost of tuition and housing, they said that it wasn't worth it. i would think the school would have a lot of clinical exposure, too!! but my optometrist said that it wouldn't hurt to go to the interview and ask them that. which is something i'll probably end up doing :) it can't hurt to find out for ourselves.

i talked to my optometrist after getting the call for an interview at NECO. I asked which she would prefer and she said that 6 years ago, she talked to a couple of 4th year students from NECO and they said that they only saw roughly 6 patients. and that with the high cost of tuition and housing, they said that it wasn't worth it. i would think the school would have a lot of clinical exposure, too!! but my optometrist said that it wouldn't hurt to go to the interview and ask them that. which is something i'll probably end up doing :) it can't hurt to find out for ourselves.

I highly doubt that to be the case. Perhaps I'm just being naive but from the website, catalog, and rep visit, NECO students begin clinical experience as early as their first year. In terms of patients interaction, students are expected to have seen between "1500 to 2000 patients" BY their all-clinical senior year. It seems that, if anything, clinical experience is a source of their pride as it is the a main point in their "WHY Neco?" webpage (http://www.neco.edu/prospective-students/whyneco.aspx). The optometrist I work for, and alumnus of NECO, did not have anything negative to say about his education there. I hope they aren't lying about that but if they are, current students SPEAK UP!

Here is another page detailing their clinical opportunities: http://www.neco.edu/educational-programs/internships.aspx

Honestly, I haven't heard of any school seriously lacking in clinical experience especially since the entire 4th year is a clinical rotation in all the colleges of optometry. Even schools typically considered "research-oriented" like Berkeley (not the case according to Dr. Van Sluyters and Sharon Joyce at UCB) boast strong clinical education (huge clinic, diverse patient pool[Oakland, bay area], early clinical exposure, etc.).

The tuition at NECO is only marginally higher than certain other schools such as ICO (not exactly a cheap place either). I think the small difference will be worth it if you really enjoy the city.

So don't feel too worried about visiting! We will definitely get the best perspective by visiting ourselves.

-Jeff

I would much rather believe the students who have gone through the program than the administrators trying to advertise the school. Who is going to tell you that their program sucks when it comes to clinical exposure?

Hey guys

I'm planning on going to a march 26th interview at NECO and was wondering who has already made a trip there and if there are any recommendations for hotels that are close to the college or if you recommended just getting one further away and taking a cab to the school.

also how was the interview? is it open or closed file? how long was it? and if you have any other information on what i expect when I get there that would be fabulous :)

Congrats on the interview. As far as hotels, I stayed at the guest house (463 Beacon St). It was only like $49 bucks a night and is literally 1/2 a block from the school. The only down side is that its' a total crap box. But if you're like me and just need a place to crash it's a good deal.

If you want to save some cash then skip cabs all together and just ride the subway (the T). It's only $2 a ride and super easy to navigate.

As far as the interview, mine was with the dean of admissions and lasted a little over an hour. Everybody else who interviewed that day lasted around 45 minutes but I had tons of questions so it ran on. The interview was very stress free and all the questions were basic i.e. why optometry? what challenges will you face after optometry school etc.

Good luck, its' a great school just a little to rich for my blood

thanks sprint.

anyone else interviewing on the 9th?

thanks sprint.

anyone else interviewing on the 9th?

hey, i chose the interview on the 2nd. but what do you guys think about me flying out on the 1st, then arriving early in the morn on the 2nd, then interview, then fly back (i'm from cali) right after the interview?? is that doable?? i don't know how congested traffic is or how long it'll take to get through the airport. airline tickets would be roughly 400 bucks. good idea? or no? (most likely i'll be going by myself, so i don't see a need to really tour the area) I figure that if i get accepted, then i could tour later

im interviewing on the 13. Really wanted march 30, but was full by the time I called back. Ill be spending 5 days there with my gf to tour the area and also visiting new york

yvipine - i just changed my interview date - im going on the 2nd as well

yvipine - i just changed my interview date - im going on the 2nd as well

alright!! i thought you weren't planning on going at all. where are you coming from??

alright!! i thought you weren't planning on going at all. where are you coming from??

i postponed it to give myself some more time to think about it.. i dont want to regret it later on! i'm coming from Canada, you?

also, are you planning on putting your final deposit down for NOVA?

i postponed it to give myself some more time to think about it.. i dont want to regret it later on! i'm coming from Canada, you?

also, are you planning on putting your final deposit down for NOVA?

i'm from southern california. and as for NOVA, they're allowing us til april 15th to make that $750 payment. Therefore, by going to boston, hopefully i'll know whether i'll be accepted or not by then. does anyone know how long NECO takes to get back on an acceptance/rejection?

oh, and another question for you guys, do you think we (people who got invited for an interview yesterday) are in NECO's "we want you but we can live without you" file or is it cause NECO is a bit slow getting back to their applicants? I just find it interesting how a lot of us are invited for an interview by this time of the application year (which is pretty late in my opinion) :rolleyes:

i'm from southern california. and as for NOVA, they're allowing us til april 15th to make that $750 payment. Therefore, by going to boston, hopefully i'll know whether i'll be accepted or not by then. does anyone know how long NECO takes to get back on an acceptance/rejection?

oh, and another question for you guys, do you think we (people who got invited for an interview yesterday) are in NECO's "we want you but we can live without you" file or is it cause NECO is a bit slow getting back to their applicants? I just find it interesting how a lot of us are invited for an interview by this time of the application year (which is pretty late in my opinion) :rolleyes:

I think they're just slow... I mean they have interview dates till the end of Apirl. I wonder how many ppl already have been accepted though... NECO has a bigger class size. I havent called back yet, im still kinda in limbo I dont want to regret it later either. and this stuff on Clinical experince is kinda intersting, as well theyre boards arent the greatest either. *sigh* I'll process over the next few days then decide.

im going to be heading there on the 26th too, from canada...also have an interview coming up at SUNY...gettn nervous..ahhh

anyone happen to de declining their interview for NECO in March? ;) I wanted to schedule March 30th but its full.. I'd like to get in there for March!

Yah march 30th is full, i just called as well. Im doing mine on the 9th as well, just so I have enough room incase I dont wanna go. They still need to fill about 40seats according to the lady I spoke with...

For those of you wondering if it is okay to arrive the morning of the interview, I wouldnt really recommend it (that's if you can afford another flight) because interview day is really long and tiring. Also, with the unstable weather in Boston you might not be able to land on time. Make sure you leave enough time to get to the airport because there was a lot of traffic. I'm from california and I interviewed in November. THe plane ride was very long and there were a lot of delays even though the weather wasnt bad at all in Boston ( I got lucky and it was actually in the 60's when i went in November). I stayed at Newbury guest house so that was really convenient. A lot of places were booked already so it was the next closest/cheapest to the school. Neco takes about 2 weeks to inform you about your acceptance after your interview. They called me first then mailed me my letter but at the interview they said they would mail us our letters. Goodluck to you all and hopefully I can meet you all as my new classmates in September! =)