NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndchanceopto

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone who had an interview at NECO could talk about their experience? Or just your thoughts on NECO in general. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just had an interview at NECO last week and I really liked my experience! I had 2 interviews prior and I would say NECO was more organized, short and concise.

You begin check in with a light breakfast then you head to a room and are introduced to the president and the program. You are then split with either doing interviews or a tour of the school first the switch afterwards. After those are finished, you take a bus to check out their new clinic facility. The day ended with lunch with a student and a wrap up of the day. I also had a guest that day, we were separated about half the time but they enjoyed it and learned a lot, wasn’t boring/overwhelming for them.

What I really liked about their interview was that it was very comfortable and laid back. Everyone gave off that very comforting family feeling and the actual interview was not intimidating at all. After you check in you have a folder of the school’s info and a blurb and your interviewer which was nice to kind of know a bit of who they are. The area and the school is beautiful, there are also lots of colleges around so you’ll be surrounded with young academic people. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I just had an interview at NECO last week and I really liked my experience! I had 2 interviews prior and I would say NECO was more organized, short and concise.

You begin check in with a light breakfast then you head to a room and are introduced to the president and the program. You are then split with either doing interviews or a tour of the school first the switch afterwards. After those are finished, you take a bus to check out their new clinic facility. The day ended with lunch with a student and a wrap up of the day. I also had a guest that day, we were separated about half the time but they enjoyed it and learned a lot, wasn’t boring/overwhelming for them.

What I really liked about their interview was that it was very comfortable and laid back. Everyone gave off that very comforting family feeling and the actual interview was not intimidating at all. After you check in you have a folder of the school’s info and a blurb and your interviewer which was nice to kind of know a bit of who they are. The area and the school is beautiful, there are also lots of colleges around so you’ll be surrounded with young academic people. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!

Hi, you mentioned you had a guest on Interview Day. I am scheduling my interview with NECO and I'm wondering about their guest option. Is this for family members, or do people bring a friend/S.O. for moral support?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, you mentioned you had a guest on Interview Day. I am scheduling my interview with NECO and I'm wondering about their guest option. Is this for family members, or do people bring a friend/S.O. for moral support?
When I went I saw others bringing their families, I had my S/O with me. Other interviews I’ve also seen S/O as guests, but family members are more common

When I went I saw others bringing their families, I had my S/O with me. Other interviews I’ve also seen S/O as guests, but family members are more common
Another quick question - during your interview, did your interviewer have your application in front of them (resume, personal essay, transcript)? Or was it just a conversation?

Interviews at NECO are very laid back. The interviewer will have your file and they read it before you meet them. Be prepared to talk about any concerns with your grades or OAT scores (any withdraws, Fs, or D's, and oat scores below 300). Again very laid back except for one faculty member and the odds of getting her are pretty slim. Also look into NECO more. Their admissions office does an excellent job of selling their program by being super friendly, but there's a lot the school doesn't do for its students. The school claims they offer tutors and other resources to help their students. They refuse to give tutors until after midterms and the professors for those classes will not respond to emails for weeks or be available for office hours, so if you need help good luck. They also have tons of scheduling issues on top of scheduling screenings the week before midterms and finals. The school isn't the best and if you're struggling to get into a better optometry school, I would recommend getting a master's and applying to other schools.

Reactions: 1 user

Hello! Did many people there for interviews have guests with them? I intially said zero guests but upon seeing that there is a separate itinerary and schedule for guests, my husband would like to come along and see the presentations, clinic, etc.