Need a Little Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cls25

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation as it stands - I have applied to about 6 schools this cycle and got interviews to all but 2 (1 I had second thoughts about and didn't fill out a secondary). So far I've been accepted by 1 (my top choice) and after I got that acceptance I stopped interviewing (personal reasons). Anyways I'm a year away from finishing my degree and I really want to finish the degree. The school I was accepted at will allow me to defer but I have to pay a deposit and resubmit another application (which apparently is common practice to do this?). The defer letter they sent me by mail had nothing in it that said my decision would be binding. So if I choose to apply to other schools next year (i'm already paying for the application right?) can they all see that I already have the acceptance in hand? Will the school that gave me the acceptance see that I have applied to other schools as well? The only reason I'm thinking of applying to other schools is because I'd like to give my state schools another try (they have combined programs and I'll be paying ALOT less, with a 3 yr old that's a huge difference!)

Members don't see this ad.

I have to be honest... I don't understand why you would waste a year completing your degree now that you have been accepted. I value a liberal arts degree as much as the next person, but you could always take those classes layer. If career = pharmacist for you, just get going on that. A Pharm D is worth way more than a BA.

Sorry - I should've clarified...it's a Master's degree that I'm finishing up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry - I should've clarified...it's a Master's degree that I'm finishing up.

What is the masters in? Will it compliment a pharmD? It is something like MPH, or something like biology? A degree in biology is sorta...."under" a PharmD for most jobs you will apply to while the MPH is something that you would spend another year obtaining in a dual-degree setting. It honestly just matters if you will use this masters or more of the mindset of finishing what you started since the time and money was already put into it.

Also, check and see the school's policy on continuing the masters program after the PharmD. If they have a 5 year period for expiring credits then maybe you can put the masters on hold, go to pharm school, then come back and complete it. Heck, maybe some of the credits will even transfer over depending on the degree.

I think it would complement my PharmD to finish my degree (not to mention the time, effort and money put into it)

I was hoping for some insight from someone who deferred and maybe didn't attending (applied and accepted an offer to another school) or withdrew and successfully applied the following year.

As I mentioned I'd love to stay in state because my family and support system is here (which is very handy with a kid) but if I need to move then so be it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdfeW2h8Qo4

I wish I knew how to embed video clips.

Do this: ["youtube"]place video embedding url/link here["/youtube"]. Without the quotation marks.

To cls25:

Although I'm not quite experienced with a situation like yours, let me still say this.

If there is a way for you to finish your master's and still get into the pharm school a year later, go ahead & finish your master's 1st. Because on the long run, for whatever unknown reasons yet (we pray not), chances are that pharmacy might end up not being for you. That way, you'll have a degree to fall back on as a back up plan.

Moreover, a year (just two semesters, or three at most), is neither long nor much of time difference. Whether or not it compliments a PharmD - it doesn't matter...at least, at your current stage. That master's degree my friend, will present you with a lot of options & opportunities, with or without the PharmD. Ask the real experts if you doubt me.

But if you will be denied a sit to the pharmd program because of it, I really don't have any advice for you. :shrug: Maybe consult an academic advisor to see what they think. Although personally, I don't find academic advisors to be that contributive (no insults/offense intended). I always feel they go by a rule in a book somewhere...where as most of the time, I need to play outside that particular rule to get where I want, at the (faster) pace I desire. Goodluck:thumbup: