Need a private loan WITHOUT a cosigner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evescadeceus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this topic has probably been covered before and I realize the thread should go under financial aid, but I need a quick answer. Has anyone obtained a private loan WITHOUT a consigner? I'm going to need a private loan, and my folks have poor credit. Does Bank One do their educational loan without a cosigner (I realize the interest rate will be higher)? If not Bank One, is there anyone else who will?

Members don't see this ad.

I may be hideously naive, but I don't *think* my parents cosigned my keybank loan??

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to financial aid.

The Mob has great interest rates and a life time of honest, caring payment plans.

Amy B said:
www.northstar.org is where I got my private loan at the same time I applied for my stafford loan. I didn't need a cosigner.

I think you would have the best chance with Northstar because their loan program works more like a mortgage. Meaning, they have baseline credit requirements (not income requirements) and then the interest rate slides around based on how good your credit is - adding a cosigner would make your interest rate lower but would not effect your approval. I do not know the specific credit requirements.

I have Bank of America's Private Loan for Med Students. They only require a cosigner if you are an international student. They also have low fees and a good rate. Private Loans are evil but they're a decent bank if you have to.

Citibank doesn't require a co-signer. Their rate is Prime Rate + O.50% depending on credit.

go with t.h.e, www.northstar.org, like others have said. They have no fees and good terms and they dont require a cosigner, unless u want a slightly lower interest rate, like 0.25% lower......so not that big a difference. They accept based on credit score, so if u have decent credit u should be fine. They dont take into account outstanding debts, balances , etc. from what they told me. :D