Need a private loan WITHOUT a cosigner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

evescadeceus

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize this topic has probably been covered before and I realize the thread should go under financial aid, but I need a quick answer. Has anyone obtained a private loan WITHOUT a consigner? I'm going to need a private loan, and my folks have poor credit. Does Bank One do their educational loan without a cosigner (I realize the interest rate will be higher)? If not Bank One, is there anyone else who will?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Mob has great interest rates and a life time of honest, caring payment plans.
 
Amy B said:
www.northstar.org is where I got my private loan at the same time I applied for my stafford loan. I didn't need a cosigner.

I think you would have the best chance with Northstar because their loan program works more like a mortgage. Meaning, they have baseline credit requirements (not income requirements) and then the interest rate slides around based on how good your credit is - adding a cosigner would make your interest rate lower but would not effect your approval. I do not know the specific credit requirements.
 
I have Bank of America's Private Loan for Med Students. They only require a cosigner if you are an international student. They also have low fees and a good rate. Private Loans are evil but they're a decent bank if you have to.
 
Citibank doesn't require a co-signer. Their rate is Prime Rate + O.50% depending on credit.
 
go with t.h.e, www.northstar.org, like others have said. They have no fees and good terms and they dont require a cosigner, unless u want a slightly lower interest rate, like 0.25% lower......so not that big a difference. They accept based on credit score, so if u have decent credit u should be fine. They dont take into account outstanding debts, balances , etc. from what they told me. 😀