Need a Reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unit18

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have asked 2 people already for references both times being rejected. I was alsmost certain they would write it for me. Seems like they are too lazy...

I know this may be hard for you to answer, but who else should i ask? I only need 1 more...

Members don't see this ad.

Who did you ask already? I asked two professors whose classes I've gotten good grades in, and they were willing to help me out. Did you ask any of your professors yet? Many professors like to help students out with LORs, just make sure you give them plenty of time to write it (I've heard at least a month, and that seems like enough time). Do you work or volunteer anywhere? Ask someone who supervises you at work or where you volunteer. You'll generally want to ask someone who can comment on your character or work ethic, therefore it should be someone with whom you've established a relationship, like a professor whose class you've taken or a supervisor at work. Don't let a few rejections discourage you, however; maybe those people just don't like writing those kinds of letters for whatever reason. Its just important to remember to give them plenty of time to write it for you; don't be like, yeah I need it in a week, then they'll probably be more hesitant to commit to writing one.

All my professors wrote me one the very next day. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I was always afraid to ask. I don't know why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was always scared to ask them too, probably 'cause I know I would hate to write a reference letter for anyone--I just wouldn't know what to write! But I suppose that when you're a professor or a supervisor or someone who gets asked to write those kinds of letters for people, you just get used to it. Wow, that was really quick, getting it the next day! Good for you. I actually haven't got mine yet 'cause I told them I wouldn't need it until a few more months. Yeah I asked like really early 'cause I was getting such good grades in their classes, I wasn't sure I'd be getting anymore grades like that (yeah I know, I'm a pessimist), so I wanted to talk to them about it so that when I actually did ask them in a few months, they'd remember me. Watch, they probably won't even remember me come September when I need it. They'll be like... and who were you? Just last year, really? Well, I guess we'll see.

Watch, they probably won't even remember me come September when I need it. They'll be like... and who were you? Just last year, really? Well, I guess we'll see.

This can true, especially if you can not build a rapport outside of the classroom with a professor. I had a professor like that, generally good guy, knows your name during the semester, but after was a different story even if you distinguish yourself from others.

I have asked 2 people already for references both times being rejected. I was alsmost certain they would write it for me. Seems like they are too lazy...

Refer to post above, that same professor above I got the distinct impression he was lazy about writing letters as well. So I decided to ask another bio professor who was clearly organized and a straight shooter. He submitted the same day I sent the request, of course he at one time was a member on an admissions board for a medical school and he knows what they are looking for in a letter of reference. Simple copy & paste job for him. Plus doing well in the course can help them remember your name.

My advice is simple in writing, but more difficult in practice. Find a reliable professional to write nice things about you. It can be difficult to judge their character and feel confident they will follow through with your request. The problem is most professionals are still human and can easily forget verbal commitments. While some are just talk with little intentions to back it up. There is a special breed who are genuinely care for students and if they succeed or not.