Technology need a smartphone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a smartphone, but there are sooo many of them. I initially was set on an iPhone, but then there are the androids, nokia 97 or 900, htc ( i probably don't want windows mobile), etc. I really don't know what to choose or look for. I want something to syn well with MS Outlook, as I use it for notes, tasks, calendar, mail, etc. Also should have good apps for drug interactions, ID, medical/pharmaceutical information databases, etc.

I think i finalized my decision between the iPhone 3GS or HTC Hero. So any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into getting a smartphone, but there are sooo many of them. I initially was set on an iPhone, but then there are the androids, nokia 97 or 900, htc ( i probably don't want windows mobile), etc. I really don't know what to choose or look for. I want something to syn well with MS Outlook, as I use it for notes, tasks, calendar, mail, etc. Also should have good apps for drug interactions, ID, medical/pharmaceutical information databases, etc.

I think i finalized my decision between the iPhone 3GS or HTC Hero. So any suggestions?
Well, I'm not very familiar with the HTC platform and its application offerings but I can tell you that since the iPhone is well on it's way to becoming the dominant smartphone on the market it will be way easier to find applications for the iPhone for what you need in addition to getting updates. Developers will go where the users are because that's where they'll make the most money.

I've had an iPhone since day 1 and I can tell you I've not had any problems with it at all. If you want the iPhone but the AT&T network is problematic and you don't mind carrying around two devices go with the iPod touch instead. Offers the same features minus the phone and GPS functions and every app you can run on the iPhone you can run on the iPod touch, the bonus is that you don't have to pay a monthly cell phone bill with the iPhone touch.

how's its syncying with MS Outlook?

I know that you're a Mac user, so what do you use as MS Outlook alternative?

Members don't see this ad :)
how's its syncying with MS Outlook?

From what I understand it sync's with outlook just fine. A friend of mine's mother uses her iPhone for work where she is an accountant and has had no problems using it with her work based computer which uses outlook.

Many of us Mac users use the native program iCal for calendar needs and Mail for email. iCal syncs with iPhone calendar, but your email accounts don't sync with Mail...they just download from your POP3/IMAP/Exchange/Whatever server.

Many of us Mac users use the native program iCal for calendar needs and Mail for email. iCal syncs with iPhone calendar, but your email accounts don't sync with Mail...they just download from your POP3/IMAP/Exchange/Whatever server.
Actually I switched to using BusyCal. like iCal but on steroids.

That being said on mac's there is no single version of outlook, you have separate programs for contacts, calendars and email. They all work together but they are individual programs. I've used all of them and it just works.

Actually I switched to using BusyCal. like iCal but on steroids.

That being said on mac's there is no single version of outlook, you have separate programs for contacts, calendars and email. They all work together but they are individual programs. I've used all of them and it just works.

Oh yeah! Address Book. I knew I was leaving out part of the trifecta! :p

Blackberry Storm 9530. It's been a perfect phone.

couldn't decide bt an iphone and hero, now blackberry recommendation....life gets easier and easier! lol... :p

but i've been recommended a blackberry by others over the hero, so probably it's a battle bt iphone and BB! :)

i'm leaning towards the iphone, tho...

after considerable amount of thinking, the BB Bold 2 might be a good choice.

so...those with BB, what apps are you using that are useful to pharmacy?

check out Vlingo...
useful to everyone

I've had an iPhone for 2 years and used a Motorola Droid for 3 weeks. From what I know, there's really only one phone that "just works" and that's the iPhone 3GS. Maybe in the future, Android will be more up to snuff, but I think that's 1-2 years away.

Reasoning for the iPhone:
1) Full Exchange support with remote wipe and password protection. Some servers may require this in order to connect properly. Android doesn't support these out of the box (you'll need to use a separate app that you'll have to buy.
2) Notes app - very simple and barebones, but it does work.
3) Tasks - plenty of task apps on the iPhone
4) Calendar & Mail - will sync with whatever you have on your Mac or PC.
5) Apps - Quantity and quality of apps is there on the iPhone. And speaking as a developer of an iPhone app (see my sig), it's going to stay that way for a while.
6) It's also an iPod.

Main reason is really the apps. The breadth of medical apps on the iPhone is something that really won't be available on other platforms for a couple of years. I mean, I even wrote one!

Best case really is to take advantage of the 30 day return window and see what works best for you.

but wouldn't there be the new iphone in June, so really no point of getting the 3gs right now?

but wouldn't there be the new iphone in June, so really no point of getting the 3gs right now?

July is a long way away if you really need a new phone ASAP. But if you don't, or your very likely to be bitter about the new improvements you missed out on, then I'd recommend waiting.