Need access financial aid application makes me want to kill myself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody completed it?? My attention span isn't long enough.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have all the necessary documents at hand (mainly, tax forms) it shouldn't take you over an hour, first time.

Subsequent times it takes even less because a lot of your information is already saved on the form (name, bd, ssn, etc, etc).

After my first time, I don't think any of the renewal forms has taken me anymore than 15-20 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys serious? What about things like car payments, medical expenses, etc? Estimating income/taxes/expenses for 2007?

It's a lot more difficult if you actually work and make money . . .

Are you guys serious? What about things like car payments, medical expenses, etc? Estimating income/taxes/expenses for 2007?

Yeah, I have filled those out. I had some income for a while from a part-time job, and I fill out my parents' info as well so you have to include all assets. It really isn't that hard and shouldn't take over an hour.

I did it both for myself and for my parents.

If you did your taxes, it should be pretty straightforward.

As for estimating income/taxes/expenses for 2007, I just copied the 2006 info.

Unless I've been informed I'm getting a raise, that's probably what I'll be getting.

Hah, it's a bit more complicated for me . . . I worked for 2 separate employers in 2006. Will only work for 1 in 2007 . . . but will only be working from January - whenever school starts.

Bleh.

yeah that form took forever to fill out

Hah, it's a bit more complicated for me . . . I worked for 2 separate employers in 2006. Will only work for 1 in 2007 . . . but will only be working from January - whenever school starts.

Bleh.

I don't understand why anything relating 2007 is bothering you. All that you need is last year's tax forms...in other words, the tax forms that you file during 2007, meaning the ones that contain the information for your 2006 earnings. You don't need to guesstimate anything regarding 2007, only 2006 earnings.

I think you are misunderstanding the form. I have never ever had to calculate or guess anything about the year in which I'm filing my taxes. It's all based on the previous year's info.

I'm banging my head on the desk right now. It doesn't help when they refer to section blah-blah-blah on form blah-blah-blah when my family file Canadian tax returns...

I don't understand why anything relating 2007 is bothering you. All that you need is last year's tax forms...in other words, the tax forms that you file during 2007, meaning the ones that contain the information for your 2006 earnings. You don't need to guesstimate anything regarding 2007, only 2006 earnings.

I think you are misunderstanding the form. I have never ever had to calculate or guess anything about the year in which I'm filing my taxes. It's all based on the previous year's info.

In Need Access, you do have to estimate your 2007 information. It's a bitch of a form to fill out, but not unbearable.

In Need Access, you do have to estimate your 2007 information. It's a bitch of a form to fill out, but not unbearable.

Mmm...I don't remember ever filling out that part. That's strange.

And then of course there's the essay component. I have some funky circumstances, so I had to write that out. Of course, there is a character limit that they don't mention, so when I cut and pasted I almost submitted a truncated version of things. Then I had to rewrite that sucker to make it fit.

Nope, the 2007 estimates were definitely there....because just when I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel for entering all the 2006 info, they started back at the top and asked all of those questions again for 2007. :thumbdown:

I'm usually able to churn through these forms with no problem, but Need Access sapped my will to live...I think part of it is it's the most poorly constructed web form that I have seen since 1992.

Maybe you just blocked out that part because it was too horrific. :)

help...........

on line 50 of your tax form 1040, what is education credits? does going to medical school mean ill be recieving education credits? or that i had attended school last year?

sorry im sure it sounds dumb but does anyone know what that is or what i should put?

help...........

on line 50 of your tax form 1040, what is education credits? does going to medical school mean ill be recieving education credits? or that i had attended school last year?

sorry im sure it sounds dumb but does anyone know what that is or what i should put?

It's the tax credits like the Hope credit or others.

help...........

There are various types of education credits that you may or may not qualify for depending your filing status, school enrollment status, etc. etc. You should consult a tax professional. Also, depending on how much money you made in 2006 and/or your age, you might qualify to use tax prep programs such as TurboTax online for free...these programs can help you figure out if you qualify, and for how much (it's all tied to your income, tuition fees, etc.). Do a google search and look on the IRS website.

you know what, i hate this form!!!!!!!!!!

I know this sounds stupid, but how do I start my application?
I clicked "apply now", finished the first two steps, and then when I try to login (step 3) it just brings me back to the first step saying "Your application session has expired because it has been at least 20 minutes since you made an entry. You must restart your application"...

I've been repeating this over and over... Am I doing something wrong?

Nope, the 2007 estimates were definitely there....because just when I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel for entering all the 2006 info, they started back at the top and asked all of those questions again for 2007. :

I did't see where they asked about 2007? Where was it because I will be working for the whole year.

I think Need Access tailors the application per request from the school. Maybe your school didn't require info for 2007. I know mine did, so I had to estimate a bunch of numbers.

I think Need Access tailors the application per request from the school. Maybe your school didn't require info for 2007. I know mine did, so I had to estimate a bunch of numbers.

That makes sense. So to those of you who didn't need to estimate 2007 info: you (and your considerate med schools) suck. :laugh: