Need Access - Submit Parents tax return to schools?

Started by pv515
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If you want any free money from the school, such as scholarships or grants, or school-funded loans that have super low rates, then you have to do what the school asks. The school is not taking your word for it that the numbers you put down are correct. So you either pony up your tax return and your parents' tax return, or you refuse. Either or.

This happened in my family when I was a kid. My uncle was paranoid about releasing his tax returns, and my cousin couldn't go to Stanford, where she got accepted. She went to a community college and is a bank teller now.

Best of luck to you.
 
Yeah it is really awkward to be an adult and ask your parents for their tax returns. I have been independent for over a decade. My parents were extremely resistant / nervous / embarrassed etc and complained loudly to me about the invasion of privacy. It was only through some persuasive yet delicate negotiations that I obtained the info.

For my efforts, my school gave me over a year's tuition. It was like getting a BMW for free. I sent mom and dad a really nice thank you note. 🙂