Need advice! (2010 CA-1 spot, switch from gs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sawthelight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, the past related threads have been great, but I wanted to get ANY advice for my own situation, specifically: what programs do you know of that accept CA-1 positions "outside the match"? I'm applying for that now, and hope to get a spot that way. I'll apply through the match if it doesn't work out. My story:

Got "surgery blinded" even before med school, and bought the "we're the top doctors" hype. Surgery wasn't great, but I wasn't exposed to something I did love so stuck with it, studied hard, did research, etc....until late fourth year when I took and LOVED anesthesia. I knew I had found the specialty I was always looking for, but I had already got into a great categorical GS program. I'll finish my PGY-1 year and get as best trained as I can, but I'll switch into gas, as a CA-1 or repeat intern.

Staff and PD at my hospital supported me when I told them of my situation, but told me they wouldn't have a CA-1 spot open, otherwise they would've taken me. If I can't get one, they said they'll see me at the match. Still got LOR. My CV in a nutshell: top 25% at small school (not AOA), 245 Step 1, 251 Step 2, 3 pubs + 5 abstracts, lots of service/extra curricular, fluent in Spanish, team player.

I'd appreciate any info. I've already started sending some letters just to inquire, but so far only one, "we'd love you, but don't have spots outside the match." I know of two programs I'm looking into that have "outside the match" spots. Know about your own program? I hope to join the ranks next year...until then, I'm going to try and be an awesome intern and get good at lines and critical patient care. Take care!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.